“Stunning surroundings and beautiful hotel!”

Le Domaine de L'Orangeraie
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in La Digue Island
Oslo
“Stunning surroundings and beautiful hotel!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed at Le Domaine de l´Orangeraie on La Digue for one week in july after a one week stay on the island Praslin.

First of all I want to say that our stay from the beginning to the end was FANTASTIC!
When we arrived at La Digue we were met by a lovely lady on the jetty (sorry, don´t know her name). She was very nice and had a big smile on her face. From the jetty we could see the hotel and already then we got a good feeling about it, it looked like it was really nice. We took a buggy with our baggage over to the hotel, it was a fun little trip.

Then we arrived to the hotel and may I just say "WOW"! The location next to the crystal clear indian ocean is just perfect, so beautiful. And the whole reception area/lounge area/pool area is very nicely decorated, they have used natural materials such as stone and wood. Gorgeous little details around! For me, as an interior designer, this was so satisfying and made me so happy!
Then we sat down and got cold towels to freshen up and a cold refreshment served in coconuts used instead of glass, what an exotic little detail.

We had booked a villa de charme room located up in the hillside and a little "golf-car" came to take us up to our room. It was a very fun ride and I must say the garden surrounding the "road" is beautifully taken care of, flowers everywhere!
As we got higher and higher up I said to my boyfriend that we must have been lucky, cause the higher the better is the chance for a sea view. But then we were so high up in the hills that I started wondering if we could possibly get any higher. Then the buggy stopped outside a HUGE villa, there was a lady all dressed in white standing in front of the door and waited for us. I was thinking; "wow, what a greeting, this must be something special". Then the lovely lady who had followed us up turns around and asks us: "do you know where you are now?" My answer was; "way up in the hills, I guess!" Then she says: "you booked a villa de charme, right?!" My answer: "yes, we did!" Then she opens this huge door, its as wide as it is high, and says: "welcome to your PRESIDENTIAL VILLA" I couldn´t believe my own ears either my own eyes when I say the beauty of this villa. I was so happy!

The presidential villa is just amazing! It was filled with gorgeous flowers everywhere and everything looked so perfect. The design inside of the villa is absolutely beautiful and it is so spacious. And the outdoor bathroom, no words, so stunning, it was my FAVORITE room in the whole villa besides from the outdoor terrace of course.
On the ENORMOUS terrace it was a big infinity pool leaning over the edge, overlooking the most stunning view you could ever imaging. And we were hoping for a little sea view!!!
We could see all the way down to the hotel area, the beautiful turquoise indian ocean and all the way over to Praslin. WOW! It was birds and fruit bats all around in the trees and we really felt we were in touch whit the nature, lovely!
We also had an outdoor dining area, a jacuzzi, sun loungers around the pool and this huge daybed to relax on.

The women all dressed in white that welcomed us to our villa turned out to be our own "butler". Her name was Sabrina and she was absolutely delightful. She did her very best to make our stay pleasant. One day she surprised us with fresh coconut milk decorated with flowers and another day homemade potato chips made of breadfruit.
Every evening after dinner when we came back to our villa, Sabrina had filled it with candlelights and scented oils, just magical! So a huge thanks to Sabrina!

All of the staff in the hotel are very friendly. They pay attention and do whatever they can to make your stay the best. I must say that the staff during breakfast, lunch and dinner are excellent! They have always a big smile on their face even after a very long day at work. They treats every guest with friendliness and respect. The same goes for the guys driving the buggies! I will also mention the lady that greeted us at the jetty (and saw us off), the lady that took us to the villa when we arrived and the european looking lady (could she be german?), they really stood out from the crowd in a very positive way. The only negative thing to say is that it was one or maybe two persons in the reception/pavilion who was a bit rude and seemed very sick of her job when we called down to for example call for transport from our room. It made me dread to call down in case she would answer the phone. But luckily almost every time it was a nice and polite person.

Seychelles it selfs is magnificent! We have been here 3 times now and keep returning. We think that La Digue is even better than Praslin where we have usually stayed before.

All in all, we had a great holiday, probably the best ever! This is a great hotel and is very, very beautiful! I love that they pay so much attention to the small details. If someone from Le Domaine de l´ Orangeraie reads this, we want to give a huge thanks to the hotel and the staff working there!
I´m sure we´ll see you again!

Best regards
Marie

6 Thank Sandy_white_beach

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
milano
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2011

Me and my wife spent at the hotel 6 nights for our honeymoon. It is absolutely beautifull hotel, peacefull place and good food.
The villas and the spa are amazing, service is good.... we were feeling home.

The island is amazing, not the best for kids!

1 Thank cescoMilano
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2011

We stayed at Orangeraie for our honeymoon. We spent 6 nights there, and 2 nights on Mahe in a chain resort (Le Meridien). Prices for the 2 were comparable, Orangeraie being perhaps a little more expensive. But what you get for your money couldn't be more different, with Orangeraie and La Digue island as a whole definitely winning over Le Meridien and Mahe.

The island is perfect: just about the right size to keep you busy for about 1 week, but small enough to be able to see the whole place on bikes (available from the hotel free of charge, plenty to choose from) at a leisurely pace. Hardly any cars on the island (less than 10 I'm guessing). Beaches on La Digue are also so much better than Mahe. Source d'Argent is often voted among the top beaches in the world. I guess this kind of votes are always very subjective, what I can say is that water is turquoise, granite boulders beautiful and unique, then on the other hand the beach isn't that long (a few hundred meters maybe), and the seaweed is a bit of a problem (but this could be different depending on tides/weather). But surely it is a spectacular beach, and much much better than Beau Vallon on Mahe - which for some reason is advertised as "tropical paradise" etc, but in reality is pretty average.

The resort is amazing. We got a Villa de Charme for 440 EUR per night, which was situated near the very highest point of the resort. The villas are large, with lovely outdoor showers, and very big balcony with amazing views of the resort and the sea. The whole area is one big hillside overlooking the beach. Views are spectacular, and there are electric buggies to take you between your villa and the beach or reception lobby. We never had to wait too long for the buggy, and the ride is a pleasant experience in itself. Care has been taken of small details such as greeting with cool lemongrass tea on arrival, flowers spread around your room daily, and in the evenings you get a sheet with tomorrow's forecast and news relevant to your country, along with small chocolates, delivered to your room. When it was my wife's birthday, I only had to hint that to the staff, I didn't even ask for anything as such, they immediately showed up at our breakfast table with a lovely chocolate cake and wishes. Also as honeymooners we got complimentary massage for two in the spa with most spectacular views, as well as bottle of champagne and fruit platter waiting for us on arrival in our villa. Overall spectacular location, attention to detail and nice staff.

Now the two issues. First, the girls at the reception. While I can say that almost all of staff are very attentive and nice, the service you get at the front desk is of the sort that would put you off a 2 star hotel, let alone a luxury resort. The local girls who man the front desk simply don't care and seem annoyed any time you ask them about anything. To be fair, this doesn't apply to all of them, I know that the management might be reading this so I want to say that we got very good service from Sylvia as well as a European lady (who spoke German from what I remember). But some of the local girls simply shouldnt be working in those positions - it just ruins the impression of the whole place, where everyone else (waiters, bar tenders, pool guys, even the buggy drivers) is taking their jobs seriously and then in the most prominent positions the girls at the front desk simply aren't responsive enough. One situation (of many) to exemplify this. I come back from the beach, with two heavy wet towels in my hand, and bags of stuff in the other hand. I come up to the front desk and ask where I can drop the wet towels. "There". So I go around the corner, wander around, can't find the place, come back after two minutes, and ask again. "Go check around the corner". I go again, can't find it, come back, etc. only on third request one of the girls goes with me, and points to a basket where these should be dropped, looking really annoyed that I asked her. Two of them were manning the front desk at that time, and I was the only customer. Seriously, should this not be handled differently? On another occassion we were waiting for a taxi to take us to a restaurant on the island. The girl who made the reservation on our behalf doesn't seem to care that the taxi is half an hour overdue, I would expect that she should be pro-active and chase up about the taxi on the phone, rather than telling me that I should just sit and wait, and doing that only after I had specifically pointed how long we were waiting. Overall plenty of situations like this, which is really annoying.

The other issue is about busloads of tourists who are driven to the hotel, as it turns out, twice a week for a half day at the pool. Whoever came up with the idea of taking a luxury, exclusive resort, and then driving 60 people to it to take up all places around the pool and wander around taking photos while guests are trying to relax? Normally there would be, say, 20 guests relaxing at the pool, then you have 3 times as many people arrive and ruin the day for the guests. Is it just a very short-sighted attempt at making some extra money off these people (who will probably have lunch at the hotel restaurant)? Very disappointing, I have never come across anything similar at other resorts.

Room Tip: get Villa de Charme, ask for seaview and possibly highest location
9 Thank pawelx
Abu Dhabi
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2011

A long rough ride on the ferry from Mahe to La Digue. It was supposed to be a one day trip but my wife and 1.8 year old were too sick to come back. We decided to stay a night to relax and enjoy la digue more because it really is a beautiful
island. On the ferry we met a very nice lady Nimi who told us she worked at Domaine de l'Orangeraie and advised us to call and book over the phone. We did so, and got a confirmation. We were in the lounge and the marketing manager phillipe comes out and spoke
in a very nice sleazy accent, saying that in other words we cannot accept you here due to maintenace (from my reading, alot of the rooms are still under maintenance). It was very disappointing for him to turn us away being tried and with a baby. I will be
back to La Digue, but will never even see Domaine de l'Orangeraie as it does not exist to me, and I am a person that only does 5 stars or more for hotels. Way to go for sales and marketing! Oh yea one more, watch out for a "gentle" man named bibi who does the pickup from the jetty. Attitude that truly fits a maintenance site, refusing to even give us a ride with the buggy to the hotel a 100 m away. At least the staff are well aligned in turning customers away, quite a strategy.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
9 Thank KalR
OrangeraieManagement, Director of Sales at Le Domaine de L'Orangeraie, responded to this review, 9 June 2011
Dear KhaldoonR,

Thank you for submitting a review about Le Domaine de L’Orangeraie and for the opportunity offered to us to welcome your family in our property.

To start with, please note that bookings at Le Domaine are always acknowledged with a confirmation letter sent by e-mail or by telefax by our reservations department. A private reservation number is also provided on official letterhead. However, it appears that you came to Le Domaine without such prior confirmation. As a „walk-in“ client, it may happen that the hotel is unfortunately not in the position to provide you with a villa, should you do not have firm confirmation from our reservations department upstream. This, for availability purposes.

As per our discussion in the lobby, Le Domaine was running full occupancy on that day. Only one of our ten Garden Villas was not occupied, but could however not be delivered when you arrived due to an unforseen maintenance issue (water leakage) after a guest check-out on the same morning. Maintenance can take a bit of timebut the villa could be finally available a bit later in the early afternoon. We regret we could not accommodate you and your family in one of our villas, after such long trip. However, according to our standard levels, it is compulsory that we allocate you in a villa which is 100% ready and fully operational, so as to contribute to your memorable experience.

In view of this unforseen booking circumstances and by way of goodwill towards your family and your baby, may I please remind you that our guest relations service kindly assisted you in booking another property on La Digue (to secure your accommodation), together with your return taxi tranfers. You have been granted a complimentary welcome drink and cold towels to refresh from your boat transfers as well. On the other hand, the management allowed you to exceptionally access our brand new infinity pool, bar and restaurant area whilst you were on La Digue, in order to enjoy our sea front facilities and entertain for the day.

We deeply regret the content of your tripadvisor review, which somehow differs from other posts that show global high satisfaction level as well as commitment to customer care.

We understand your mixed feelings, not to be able to stay at Le Domaine this time but we hope to have an opportunity to make you experience the beauty and the exoticism of our property in full on La Digue, in the near future.

Philippe
Sales and Marketing manager
Cheshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights and were upgraded to a villa.
The rooms were beautiful, if not a little wacky.. in the nicest sense! lots of unusual furniture and fittings. The views beautiful. We stayed in villa 210.. but beware the outdoor shower is not private( it is overlooked by the villas above).. and I was watched by a peeping tom until I realised the problem!!! Yuk!!
Food was ok .. the buffet beakfast was fine, dinner at night better if they stick to Creole cooking.. the international buffet was poor.
Great location, pool and service.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Lucca, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2011

We travelled the world, yet we managed to be greatly surprised by Le Domain de l'Orangeraie!
The accomodation has to be seen to be believed. They managed to merge the Borneo's primary rain forest Lodges with the open air bathroom facilities of the best resorts in Bali with an incredible care of details and clever unusual solutions in every corner with particular reference to lighting.
The pool setting is incredibly beautiful to look at and also practical.
The electric cars that shuttle you from sea level to the jungle level are always there ready for you day and night.
We cannot comment about the food, we found some local simple places with very good Creole food and didn't have time to try the hotel restaurant.
The place is so beautiful it lets you forget about the somewhat erratic room servicing and a lying manager who guaranteed free cappuccinos at breakfast for us  and then put all of them in the bill... Cappuccinos is basically all we have for breakfast and didn't want to pay €22 a day for them having already paid for B&B.  In reality this is the only (minor) negative comment. It's a fact that the place is not actually completed, the final restaurant area was due to be ready in a few weeks. Once it's up and running Managers and Staff will learn... maybe.
Should we return to Seychelles L' Orangeraie ... with free cappuccino ... will be our only choice.

• Stayed February 2011
3 Thank saveron
Beau Vallon, Seychelles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2011

This was my third trip to La Digue, and I was anxious to see the development of this hotel. Although I didn't stay here, I booked two spa treatments and had drinks at the outdoor bar on several occasions.

For a spa appointment, the club car takes you up the mountain to the spa villa which is beautiful. My first treatment seemed a bit rushed, but since this is a new hotel, I hoped they were in the process of working out some service details.

My second treatment, a spa manicure, was fantastic! I was not rushed at all, and in fact encouraged to relax and enjoy the beautiful scenery from the air conditioned spa room.

I was also given a free tour of the hotel grounds which was a nice touch. The rooms are spacious and beautiful, and I love the outdoor showers (my favorite feature). The bungalows are built into the mountain and take advantage of the lush surroundings.

The outdoor bar on the patio is lovely and is a great place to unwind with friends with a tropical drink and warm Indian Ocean breezes.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
#4 of 12 in Anse Volbert
Dhevatara Beach Hotel
Dhevatara Beach Hotel
#1 of 8 in Grand Anse

Been to Le Domaine de L'Orangeraie? Share your experiences!