“Great Fishing Trip”
Review of Spurwing Island

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kariba
Spurwing Island
Reviewed 24 July 2014

What a great place to stay, Ideally located for our 3 day fishing trip, on one of the world most beautiful locations, where else can you get a fishing trip with a safari everyday right on you door step. Kariba has for the past 5 years been my choice to go fishing and relaxing and Spurwing Island is just the place to do it. Staff were great and the food was 1st class.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank peter_fitzgerald67

Reviewed 4 March 2014

Spent three nights at the lodge on a fishing trip with quite a large group of guys. The lodge is situated in a beautiful part of the lake and is very well equipped. The staff very friendly and extremely helpful. The guides who worked the boats and kept everything spic and span knew their story with regards to catching fish and making the whole boating thing very comfortable. But the breakfast? Outstanding. There was no chance I could fit in their Full English Breakfast. Given the location and what must be a logistics issue, the lodge kept us well fed and watered. Rooms were well furnished and even though it was a bit hot, we all slept well. Its a bit of a walk to the further lodges, but you'll need the exercise after the meals. Well positioned bar offering great views and a fantastic pool. Fishing itself was fantastic, caught fantastic bream and was lucky enough to land both Cornish jack, bottle nose and electric barbell, all a first as well as the odd tiger that was lurking around. A visit to the Falls in Sanyati Gorge is a must. You'll wonder how the elephant get in and out of the place. A great experience and very well priced.

Room Tip: Get a tented room mid way up the island, on the other side of the bay the boats launch from. Its qu...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Mark P
Reviewed 11 February 2014

This is my third visit to Spurwing, but it still maintains it's magic quality. I arrived with family on their boat, but the transfer boat brought my wife and grand daughter,(transfer boat can be very expensive if no other passengers, advise book in advance) The food is second to non so no good for dieters, and the staff are amazing and very helpful so full marks to Stacey and gang. There is no better place to enjoy Africa, sitting on your veranda overlooking Kariba Lake and watching the wild life, our resident hippo and elephants entertaining us and not forgetting the odd croc swimming by. Try a spot of fishing plenty of Bream and the odd Tiger a definite to revisit

Room Tip: Choose accommodation overlooking the lake
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Michael W
Reviewed 25 October 2013

I must say I was very excited to be spending1 night and two days at Spurwing Island. I used to go there alot in the early days but since moving to SA I had not visited for a long time.
On arrival we were met on the jetty and taken to the reception and then on to our rooms.
The rooms are not 5 star but they are adaquate. I think they could do with a bit of an upgrade especially the bathroom. I found the food very good but the service was not at all good. Just after we arrived the rest of our wedding party arrived, 25 people in all and with that they closed the pub. I would have thought with this size party arriving they could have cashed in on some good revenue. Also the pool towels were locked away and so none of the guests could make use of the towels. None of the managers were to be seen and the lady in the office did not seem to know what to do or contact them. On arrival we gave our 4 boxes of worms to the staff who said they would look after them for us and 1 of the wedding party who arrived after us had also brought us 2 boxes of worms. When it was time to leave the next day we asked for our worms and our big box was brought down. I thought I would just check and to my dismay I found only about 15 worms in our box. I queried this with one of the workers there who said he would go look at the wormary but after about 15 minutes he had not returned. Some of the management staff were working on a boat nearby but did not seem to be at all worried about our departure. In the end we just had to leave. We have since heard that this is comman at Spurwing and most people who stay there take their worms to their rooms for safe keeping.
I must say the location is wonderful and the rooms are nice but what it is lacking is management, service and someone to just take it to the next level. This resort could have so much potential but unfortunately the youngsters who are managing the island are not doing their job and there are a lot of little things that could be changed that would make such a difference.
I do not think I will be heading back to Spurwing any time soon until they can sort out their problems.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Arthur K
Reviewed 12 October 2013

We have visited Spurwing twice in the last year and thoroughly enjoyed our stay (2 seven night stays). An easy flying trip to Fothergill island and ten minute boat trip to Spurwing, enjoyable. We stayed in a tented chalet with lovely view of the lake, comfortable twin beds and good shower. Food is very good, although dining is at individual tables but on making new friends, tables are soon joined together. Staff are very friendly and helpful, the fishing exceptional but game drives do require a minimum of 4 persons. The location is peaceful, scenery beautiful - a well run establishment - we will return.

Room Tip: Go for a tent/chalet with Lake view, lovely to wake up to in a morning.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank judith a
Reviewed 9 October 2013

We spent 3 nights at Spurwing in October 2013 and what a great experience. Spurwing is situated about an hours boat ride across Lake Kariba from Kariba town, and while we had our own boat the resort offers daily transfers. The resort comprises about 30 chalets and luxury tents (actually just chalets with canvas sides that roll up on a very hot day). All units face the lake and have spectacular views. At the centre of the resort is a beautiful pool area, open bar and open dining area, all under thatch. The resort is full board, and the meals are fantastic. Finally, can I say that the staff are amazing. No request is too much, and everyone has a wonderful Zimbabwean smile. A special thank you to Christopher and his team who look after the boats and boating, and who will give any guest an amazing experience, whether it is to take you out to catch your first Tigerfish, or whether you simply want to enjoy a sundowner while admiring the elephants on neighbouring Fothergill.

I simply can't wait to come back.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank nigelsIreland
Reviewed 17 August 2013

Fantastic spot. We had a total of 26 in our group, ranging from 4 - 73 years old. The island managed to please everyone! Good fishing, good game spotting, lovely accomodation, fantastic food. We also thoroughly enjoyed the football match we played against the island staff! We will be back for a re-match!

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Vandoros
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kariba
Lake Kariba Inns
#1 of 4 in Lake Kariba
Dzimbabwe Lodge Kariba
Dzimbabwe Lodge Kariba
#7 of 14 in Kariba

Been to Spurwing Island? Share your experiences!