“Chilled. Beautiful.Perfect”
Review of Lake Kariba

Lake Kariba
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Kariba
Reviewed 2 August 2014

A houseboat on the lake. A small swimming pool on the boat. Self catering but a cook on board. Fish Eagle Island was where we berthed and relaxed to African Sunsets, Lions,Hippo,Buffalo,Croc and a curious turtle. A ing drive from Harare-or you can fly in-but well worth the visit.

1  Thank rorykilalea

Reviewed 24 July 2014

If you like a good fight with a lake fish then this is the place to come. Plenty of accommodation around, house boats, hotel, lodges, prices are reasonable and the sights are just magic, not enough words to describe it, just got there yourself and find out.

2  Thank peter_fitzgerald67
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I have visited Kariba all my life and have never been disappointed. Beautiful scenery, amazing wildlife, great fishing - what's not to love? Visit Kariba - you won't regret it!

4  Thank nikone
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Someone asked me last Sunday if it was safe to travel to and inside Zimbabwe and in 2 weeks time I will be showing a group of people my collection of photos from that country, I have lived in Zimbabwe for 43 years, the Zimbabwe African has always been a friendly people nation, I remember the days when I first lived there in the 60’s, if your car broke down they would try and help you to fix it of tow you, in my 43 years in that country I have only ever found the Zimbabwean African to be but friendly and this is why Zimbabwe has become a favourite tourism destination, when you arrive at Police and Zimra road blocks treat them with respect make sure the vehicle you are travelling in meets all their traffic regulations and keep within the speed limits, 120km per hour much less in built up areas, I have travelled extensively not only throughout Zimbabwe but in its neighbouring countries too, I am probably the most travelled person in Zimbabwe having driven to almost every rural and urban destinations averaging 6,000 km per month on gravel rough terrain roads, in the 80’s and 90’s.
We had our favourite places depending on where we lived, but for the years that we have been in Harare, Kariba has been a favourite and popular destination, but it can get very hot and so we usually went to Kariba in the winter and dry months, May to September. On 2 occasions i have surveyed Lake Kariba shores and Islands travelling by boat from Kariba to Binga and back all paid for.
Wild Heritage has been a great favourite of ours and we always booked directly as it was cheaper than booking through South African Tourist Agencies, the Lodges are superb self catering units with 3 and 4 bedrooms and fully equipped, most have swimming pools and some have air conditioners and all the lodges face Lake Kariba but one sits on the corner and has a 270 degree view and an excellent view of the Mutusadona Mountains and on a nice clear day, great for photo’s, there is no need to go looking for Elephants, they come right up to your door especially at night and early morning, often joined by Zebra, Hippo, Jackal, and Buffalo, they like the freshly watered green grass around the lodges, of course Fishing is what Kariba is all about, you can hire boats and houseboats and fishing tackle and bait all in Kariba, there is lots to do in Kariba and the dam is 300km long and 17km wide at the widest point at the Kariba end, the Zambian borderline runs down the middle of the lake, we always do our bookings through ( wildheritage@zol.co.zw ) and for Wild Heritage and other parts of Zimbabwe you can use ( loraine@baobabzim.com ) ( hilary@baobabzim.com )
Some of the safari operations in Zimbabwe have told me that it is so time consuming for their own transport to run around Harare city 40km from one end to the other, looking for food and drink and every other type of goods to successfully run a 5 star tourist operation, they order through a company in Harare who specialise in procuring all their shopping needs and when we travel to Zimbabwe we also do likewise ( zips@zol.co.zw ) which is Zimbabwe International Procurement Services. Tel (+263 4 487667 office hours
We will be here at Wild Heritage again this August but this time we are flying from London with Ethiopia Airlines as they are flying the new Dream-liner planes and are 50% cheaper than both Emirates & KLM and on the way back we get a night stay over in their capital city.
Travelling from Harare byroad is 366km to Kariba but 20km from Kariba you turn left on the Charara road that should be 54km peg from Makuti. The Makuti Hotel is on the 292 km peg from Harare and is a good place to stop for refreshments or even a meal and at this is also the turnoff to the left for Kariba and although tarred it has lots of sharp bends and steep downhill gradients, Makuti Hotel have a great view looking down the valley towards Kariba, you need to allow yourself 6 hours from the time you leave Harare to arrival at Wild Heritage. Once you leave the tar road 20km from Kariba or about 54km from Makuti, the surface is gravel and can be very potholed and corrugated maximum speed 60km per hour, you keep going on that road until you get to the end, always avoid driving at night, there are no fences on the sides of the roads and the game and even cattle tend to sleep on the warm tarmac at night, they don’t wear reflectors. On one of my trips to Kariba with my family we came across a petrified tree stump rock weighing 20kg, it’s not there anymore though.

15  Thank John R
Reviewed 30 May 2014

A very warm and lovely place to spend a holiday. A very good example of people living in harmony with nature, animals move freely around the town. The bream fish is also fantastic.