“great camp on the Zambezi”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mana Pools National Park
Wilderness Safaris Ruckomechi Camp
Las Vegas, Nevada
“great camp on the Zambezi”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2013

Our guides Bono and Daniel were great. Bono took us canoeing among the hippos and crocodiles and it was so much fun. Accommodations were excellent, enjoyed the elephants walking through our camp during the day. The food was also excellent. All the staff were so warm and accommodating. We enjoyed being on the water and loved eating meals with the other guests. Best part seeing the lions eating the kill.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Cleveland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2013

We spent 4 nights here and had a great time. There are 11 tents (one is a family tent with an extra bedroom) that are connected by boardwalks to the main dining lodge. The tents are spacious, comfortable, and well-designed with sufficient storage space and a large bathroom (shower, sink, toilet). All the tents face the Zambezi, so the views are spectacular. The staff is very friendly and professional. The guides are terrific. Activities include game drives / walks, canoeing, and rides on pontoon boats. The food was very good.

Animals seen: many kinds of antelope, elephants (everywhere!), lions, Cape buffalo, leopard, civit, baboons, monkeys, hippos, crocodiles, and dozens of bird species.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2013

Just returned from 3 Days at Ruckomechi Camp. We agree with everything that's been said in the previous reviews. The setting on the banks of the Zambezi at Mana Pools National Park is spectacular. The accommodations are spacious and comfortable. The staff is highly professional and gracious. The guides are most knowledgeable. The wildlife was bountiful. The food excellent.
What more can we say?!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank James66667
McLean, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2013

We spent 3 nights at Rucko. Of the four camps we stayed at this was the most remote and certainly the wildest (Lion Sands, Little Mackololo and Elephant Camp). Our family of four occupied the two tents furthest from the main camp. Yes we charged by an elephant... twice! Yes I tell the story to everyone when we talk about our month in Africa. Yes we caught tiger fish on the Zambezi. We canoed with hippos and crocodile. We walked on a field tour with elephants. We witnessed a wild dog chase and kill. The staff were superb and while my wife felt the least safe in this camp I found the adventure and adrenaline rush I came to Africa in search of. The chef is the head chef of all Wilderness Safari camps so this is superb food. We loved the sunset made all the more special by dust from the Namibian desert to the west. The moans and graons of hippos all night punctuated by drum beats from festive Zambian's accross the river made everything that much more special. Did I mention we spit impalla poop in a South African game during a breakfast stop? Don't laugh... try it... it's Lloyd's specialty!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank ChristopherB783
NYC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2013

We stayed here for three nights and had a great time. The rooms are luxurious and open up right onto the river. You will see more animals than you can imagine (we were fortunate to see leopards!). The staff is excellent and the food is good.

What makes this amazing are the guides -- we did walking safaris, boat rides and driving rides. The people here are great and know what they are doing. And we saw animals everywhere and up close, including elephants, hippos, kudu and lions. Also, elephants walked through the camp when we were there!

This is a once in your life experience!

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Bryan, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2013

After having spent 12 days at other camps and lodges, flew from Lake Kiriba (Musango Lodge) to Mana Pools National Park for one day and night stay at Ruckomechi Camp before beginning a three day canoe trip on the Zambezie River (if interested, see review for Vundu Camp) with a return to Ruckomechi for two more days and nights after the canoe trip. Ruckomechi is very similar to another Wildlife Safari camp I stayed in, viz., Davison's Camp in Hwange. Both have great management and very welcoming and helpful staff. My first tent (as was the my second) was very clean and large, with comfortable bedding, en suit shower and toilet and an additional shower outside! All tents and the main area are close to and facing the river. Solar panels for each tent provide hot water and reading lights. So you have a very confortable tent and yet when you walk out of your tent or just away from the camp, you are in the bush. For example, on my last day, I was in my tent for a seista after a morning game drive and couple of hours watching elephant herds from a hide that our guide had driven us to when I saw a matriarch walk by behind my tent followed by a number of aunts and calfs. My tent was next to the last on this side of the main tent and I went out the door and started taking pictures. I then noticed a female elephant who had separated from the herd and was in front of the tents also! She was looking into the last tent about 30 yards away which was occupied by the two newlyweds (being the ones I had done the hide trip with) and I could see they were taking pictures which I started to do. For some reason I looked down at my camera to check a setting but when I looked up, the female was running right at me. Mock charge or not I ran behind the tent and a tree and she went past to join the others. Ruckomechi has as a typical day a light breakfast at 6:30 (staff will wake you) followed by an early morning game drive and then return to camp for a very good brunch. You can also do boating safaries. Down time during the heat of the day is followed by tea, coffee and cakes around 3:30 pm and then an afternoon game drive. Sundowner around 6:00 followed by a night game drive with red spot lights. A very nice experience was when our guides on two different nights, stopped the Land Rover and turned off the engine and in the cool stillness used a laser light to point out constellations and the Milky Way in the beautiful African sky. After the drive, return to camp for a cold drink, time to freshen up and then a nice dinner followed by drinks and conversation by the camp fire which has very confortable seating. My main objective in all my 18 days in Zimbabwe was to see as much game as I could and the Ruckomechi conservancy does not disappoint. It has numberous elephant and buffalo herds and hippo pods. Heard male lions every night calling for the females and on the last day found a pride with two males, two females and three cubs which made for great pictures! Also saw a great deal of different antelope and bird life. You can also do walking safaris and nature walks both with armed guards. I saved years for this trip and I am certainly glad I did!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank MJSellers
St. Albert, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2013

We loved our four days at Ruckomechi! We will never forget waking up the first morning to a mother elephant and her baby wandering by our tent on their way down to the Zambezi River. They were followed by about 15 more elephants that played in the pools below our tent. The herd then dove into the river, where the little ones grabbed their moms' tails with their trunks, and swam with the current over to the island in front of the camp. It was gorgeous watching the "snorkels" swimming along, spraying water every once in a while. All around were birds singing, baboons barking, water bucks and impalas snorting, and some fascinating water monitors hunting for prey. The times we spent canoeing with hippos, or watching lions, wild dogs, zebras, buffalo, crocs, and colorful birds were too numerous to mention.The staff were great -- we loved spending each day with Gaddy (Gadrick) - our special guide. He was knowledgeable and fun to be with. The tented bedrooms were luxurious while still allowing us to feel and experience being outdoors. Special times included a dinner under the stars for just the two of us one night, and a bubble-bath under the stars late one night. The food was amazing -- excellent chefs! Most of all, I'll remember canoeing at sunset and hearing the women across the water singing songs while they worked. It was magical! Thank you to all the staff for making our visit so memorable.

Room Tip: Every room is a good room -- some closer to the main dining room than others, but all have great vie...