“Great football tavern”

Cuisines: Pizza
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Great steakhouse burger! Nice atmosphere, very clean. Public parking is easy to find. Nice selection of beers on tap. My husband loved the pizza. Fries were delicious and different then plain tavern fries. Was impressed. Menu is not extensive, its burgers and pizza.

Reviewed 16 October 2013

Great atmosphere, pleasant staff, and excellent food. It's really a nice place to go for lunch or dinner, or to just get a drink at the bar. I've enjoyed the three times I've visited.

Reviewed 27 September 2013 via mobile

Comfortable atmosphere, attentive service, very nice craft beer selection and good food made with quality ingredients. Not your average pizza joint -- in a good way. Will definitely return.

Reviewed 16 September 2013

I'm not a beer-drinker or a pizza eater (mostly to stay away from gluten and calories). The Downtown City Tavern has already built a reputation for having an excellent selection of both. And after eating their twice last week, I can say for sure their's is a menu that's creative, just big enough, and has some very satisfying selections on it, starting with the massive bowls of creamy lobster bisque, priced astonishingly at $5.95. The baked garlic onion soup with provolone looked mighty tempting as well.

As an unabashed fan of fried, I chose on my maiden visit the fried artichokes and fried calamari. The artichokes were superb, and semi-soaking in a elegant bath of parmesan fondu and crushed basil oil. Because the calamari were described as 'ale-battered,' I was expecting something a little more glistening. These tasted fine, but were a little limp and tepid and didn't look ale-battered. My companion's steakhouse burger, stuffed with boursin cheese, looked divine. Ditto for the cone of herbed fries that came with it. Our waiter, James, was a pure delight, was super-attentive, and even patiently took and re-took our picture for us.

Another cool thing about DTCT is they've incorporated elements of its former incarnation, The Boston Candy Kitchen, into the decor. Two of the larger tables are topped with the marble slabs used in the ribbon-candy-making process.

My second visit yielded another great lunch, though we had a different waiter, and this bespectacled chap was aloof at best. After a stone-faced delivery of menus and water, we were actually glad to hear him mutter curt directions to the bartender to take over our table. Clearly the yin to his yang, Suzanne smiled warmly as she answered questions, then took our order without writing a syllable of it down and got the entire feast correct, right down to the three dipping sauces (Spicy Chili, House Siracha, and Thai Peanut) for the wings.

For the record, there was another outstanding burger served, this time with a fried egg; the lobster bisque was its usual succulent self, and the gooey moist wings good enough to eat on their own, though the sauces were fantastic. What really elated me was seeing a beautifully dressed kale salad on the menu, topped with polenta croutons. Being gluten-free, croutons are usually something I have to flick off the salad, but these were slightly warm, crisp outside, and soft inside with a mildly sweet corn taste. The kale was emerald and sturdy, and the salad's remains that I brought home were still good three days later.

This place has some wonderfully creative dishes I haven't seen anywhere, ie, the Sweet Pea Guacamole, Crispy Fried Meatballs, and the Sweet Pea Hushpuppies. In other words, we'll definitely be back.

Reviewed 1 August 2013

My husband and I decided to try this new place after hearing good feedback from friends. I ordered a mixed drink and my husband ordered wine. The drink was not the best, but my husband loved the wine, one of the most expensive at $9 a glass, but a decent size pour. We split the Tavern salad which came in a good sized bowl. My husband loved it, but it was way over dressed for me. Next time I will remember to get dressing on the side. Pizza was a good size with crispy crust and good flavor. The restaurant filled up quickly on a week day night, so they are obviously doing something right. We will definitely go back and try some other offerings. The wings and burgers we saw at other tables looked great. Next time I will order beer or a nice wine, because I don't think this is a place where bartender excels at cocktails.All in all it was good food in a friendly, comfortable atmosphere.