“Different is Good”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Rare Earth Wine Bar - CLOSED

Rare Earth Wine Bar
Price range: US$12 - US$36
Cuisines: Italian, American, Mediterranean, Wine Bar, French, Moroccan
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Now serving twenty plus TAPAS items for between $3 and 5$..... Rare Earth is a partnership between a Chef who drinks a lot of wine and a Wine Producer who eats a lot of food. Between them they have only explored a fraction of the known FOOD-WINE Universe. The happy journey continues every day from open until close, or whenever the last person leaves, whichever is later. Fresh food, prepared in our own kitchen, from scratch, every day. Good wines and plenty of them, enough to make choosing an uncomfortable distraction. Casual atmosphere, like you might find at home or maybe in the quaint 4th arondissement in Paris, understated but over the top, art to feast the eyes on. Music to enjoy but not to distraction, talk to your hearts content, stay as long as you are able, leave whenever you feel like it, come back again whenever you wish. Come often enough and we'll give you a key! That's what I liked about Living in Florence....My new restaurant friends gave me a key!
M.A.
“Different is Good”
Reviewed 2 April 2014 via mobile

Oysters so fresh and flavorful you'd swear they were harvested out back. Veal so tender it melts in your mouth. Best wine selection in the city. Welcome Glens Falls' newest dining experience!

Malta, New York
“Restaurant and Wine Bar”
Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

Arrived early Saturday evening and decided to sit at the bar. Rob our bartender, made 2 great martinis with Emperor vodka (.no Greygoose or Kettle here!) while we perused the wine and food menus on the iPad. With a little a assistance from Rob, we ordered Onset Oysters and Rob suggested a wonderful French white wine to go with the oysters. Experienced with the ordering on the ipad, we ordered a house salad of interesting mixed greens dressed with a perfectly light, delicious vignette. Ipad in hand and at our pace we ordered the strip steak. It arrived with mashed potatoes, carrots and green beans. The taste on each was outstanding. The steak could have been a bit more tender. We selected Monte Lauro "Sun" from co-owner Michael Belanger's vineyard in France. A perfect pairing. Coffee rich and robust and yummy Flan. We talked all the way home about our great evening of food, wine, ambiance and pace of the meal. We left an establishment FULL of people enjoying what we just experienced. A Must!!

Glens Falls, New York
“if I'm being honest...”
Reviewed 16 February 2014

We dined at Rare Earth with our good friends on Valentines Day. We were all very excited to try it out and open to what we thought would be an exceptional treat. My friend called a week ahead to make reservations knowing it would be busy on this particular holiday. She was told that they don't take reservations and to come around 6:15, "it should be no problem at that time". We were a little skeptical, so my friend and her husband showed up early around 5:50 just to make sure we could get a table. There was only an 8 top open and they replied "do you have reservations for our wine cellar?" Which of course, we did not, because the gentleman on the phone would not take a reservation. They sat us in the wine cellar anyway (which was nice) and greeted us with prosecco which we thought was very kind and a nice added touch...until later. As we sat, our friends told us that the prosecco (which I had already taken a sip of) was a part of a "gift" which included a box of local goodies and a rose, this was not actually a "gift" but, an added cost of $35 per couple on top of the already (high priced) food. These things were given to us before we even had a chance to decline, although they said it was "optional", we didn't want to be rude and decline at that point (after we had already partaken of said "gift") Oh well, moving along...we were handed paper (printed directly from a computer and stapled together) menus because they didn't "have enough iPads" and proceeded to order a variety of different things to share tapas style. The wine was very good, especially the owner's wine, which was brought to us by the owner himself. I enjoyed the olive tapenade, the cheese was not very good and I love cheese! The oysters were delish, the lamb and oatmeal sausage was probably the highlight of the night, but still not outstanding and I am very slow to criticize food in general. We were brought an extra dish and before we realized it we tried it. Come to find out, it was the table next to us' order, the poor couple had to wait forever for their order to arrive and we were still charged for the mishap. I have had some amazing meals, I do not consider myself a connoisseur , just a food lover. We woke up the next morning with buyers remorse and I can honestly say that has never happened to me. This meal was not amazing and I do not think we will be back.

• Visited February 2014
3 Thank RachaelLeigh
Woodstock, New York
“A rare find!”
Reviewed 1 February 2014

As I was leaving Rare Earth Wine Bar, the foremost question on my mind was, "When can I come back here?" The place is beautiful- elegant and yet comfortable and inviting. The wine selection is incredible, and the food amazing. Each plate was delectable and we savored every bite. The lamb and oatmeal sausage with potatoes and onions, YUM!, and the cheeses, and pate, so perfect with a great glass of wine. Prices are very reasonable. It's not just a meal, it's an experience. One you'll want to relive again and again.
Ordering food on the iPad was a little confusing, but maybe it'll just take some getting used to.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank wcjm
Mikeleb1959, Owner at Rare Earth Wine Bar, responded to this review, 8 February 2014
Thanks so much for stopping by and we're glad that you enjoyed it. We are excited to be here and look forward to offering many more wining and dining options in the future. Our digital menu should continue to improve and offer even more functionality. And we'll soon be taking reservations for a tasting menu at our Chef's table in the kitchen and for custom catered dining in our wine cellar. Please come back and try us again.