“Becoming a favourite for dinner”
Review of The Stanwell Hotel

The Stanwell Hotel
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Staines
Reviewed 3 November 2013

My wife and I live locally and are finding ourselves more than regular visitors to the Stanwell for dinner.
The main menu does not have the widest selection but with the bar menu and the special menu, I always find something different that interests me.
It's not the cheapest and the portions aren't the biggest but the quality is normally very good.
We both like the soups (especially the mushroom when it's on), and can always fall back to the tapas menu for a starter if we don't see anything we fancy (we like the spring rolls with hoisin sauce). The wife usually goes for the steak where I like to try something different and normally choose something from the specials menu (2 courses for £18.50, there is a 3 course option but don't recall the price).
Would be nice to see more people in here as sometimes it can be rather quiet, though it does seem busier in the winter.
Sure we'll be going back this week if the wife gets her way :-)

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
stanwellhotel, General Manager at The Stanwell Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2013

Dear Bob H,

Thank you for your comments about the Restaurant at The Stanwell Hotel.
We do try to offer good value for money in everything we do here so I was very pleased to read your comments. You are also quite correct about our 3 course offering it is £22.50.
I have very recently taken over at the hotel, if you have any other comments regarding the restaurant you wish to share with me please do not hesitate to contact me.

Regards,
James Mahaffey

Reviewed 14 October 2013

Are you bored with those airport chain hotels? Do you object to paying stupid prices just because a hotel is attached to a Terminal? Consider The Stanwell: we used it a couple of years ago, for a night-stop before flying on the next day, and had no concern about going back. A certain other Heathrow hotel's offer of £220 for a room for the night was a joke, so we took an advance booking for an Executive King room at The Stanwell which came in at £105. So far so good.

Nice and helpful welcome at Reception, where we booked a taxi to Terminal 5 for the next morning. Our room was above the main hotel entrance area but was completely soundproof. And a small balcony gave us the opportunity to grab some fresh air - that's the only downside, there were no opening windows and no air-con, but then many UK hotels are like that. Everything was clean and tidy and well-maintained. I've been in bigger rooms, but for one night it was perfectly survivable.

We had dinner at the in-house restaurant, Zamora's. Excellent service from all the staff (thank you, Sandeep and the rest), and we enjoyed a really delicious 2-course dinner (and 3 glasses of wine between us) for a little over £50. I suspect we would have paid double that, or more, at "that other place".

I won't add photos - everything you need to see is already well covered by professionals and visitors, and it looks just like that!

So, we saved a lot of money, dined well and slept well before our immaculate taxi and driver turned up at 06:45 as promised for a £7 ride 9including our 3 full-size cases) to Terminal 5. We will be back in the Spring.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
stanwellhotel, General Manager at The Stanwell Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2013

Dear The_Old_Brits

I am so so pleased to read your review following your visit with us back in September. It is always gratifying to learn that we, as a hotel, have exceeded your expectations and ensured that you have had a memorable experience with us. I did note your comment about the windows and am pleased to announce that we will be offering air conditioning in our Executive rooms next Summer!

I will be passing your comments on to the team who are always happy to receive good feedback.

Once again, thank you for your positive review and hopefully you will join us again at The Stanwell Hotel in the very near future.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 11 October 2013

Stayed for one night. Reasonably clean, just about ok bed, in what was a loft conversion. Spacious enough and the bare minimum facilities. They have not gone out of the way to make this place anything above minimal and it reflects in the rating. Overall, an ok stay, nothing more.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo

Dear Neofytes

Thank you for your recent review of the Stanwell Hotel following your stay with us. I was disappointed to read that you felt the hotel was just very ordinary. We have in fact recently refurbished our Executive rooms and are in the process of rolling out phase 2 of our rooms refurbishment program.

We have received numerous positive comments from many of our guests on Tripadvisor,so I am really disappointed that we did not , at least, meet your expectations on this occasion.

Hopefully, you will return in the near future.

Regards,

Reviewed 25 September 2013

Arrived for an overnight stop on our way to New York,we had a nice welcome it was very hot so sat outside ordered food had a few drinks very pleasant waitress good accommodation.On our return had beakfast and will stay agin of we fly from Heathrow

Room Tip: We had the suite which was excellent could have done with a fan or air con
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Dear Mike P,

Firstly, thank you for using Tripadvisor to post your recent review of The Stanwell Hotel. I am pleased to see you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us.

We all look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the very near future.

Sheldon

Reviewed 11 September 2013

The hotel was easy to find, given that we arrived after midnight that was useful. The only problem we had was getting in. The doors were locked, the intercom only rang on the empty reception desk and the phone wasn't being picked up. Eventually by banging on windows someone answered the door, but only after he had finished laying out a conference room. It was really frustrating knowing that he could see us, outside in the cold, but chose to finish laying out a room (around 10 minutes).
No apologies from the guy who should have been on reception by the way.

Breakfast sort of made up for it. The guy on breakfast was a little forgetful, but really good as a front man nonetheless and he is a real treasure.

Rooms were clean neat and tidy. Ours looked newly done. Mattress on the bed could have been better nut it was just on the acceptable side of lumpy.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
stanwellhotel, General Manager at The Stanwell Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2013

Dear ims h

Thank you for your review after your recent visit with us at The Stanwell Hotel. I must apologise that you were unable to access the hotel immediately upon your arrival. We have had a technical issue with our late night intercom service which should alert our night team to a guests arrival at the reception desk. This has since been rectified.

I am pleased to note you enjoyed your stay on the whole and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 27 August 2013

I planned and booked my husband's 40th Birthday party. Agnes, the events manager, was extremely helpful, efficient and was able to offer me what I wanted with no problem at all. The hotel was extremely accommodating and hospitable.
I wasn't sure what to expect of the food but I wasn't disappointed. The food was stunning. Everyone at the table remarked on the high quality of food. It is a little more expensive than many places within a five mile perimeter but it tasted fantastic and I would not hesitate in going back. The food is beautifully cooked. The set menu is amazing value.

We cannot wait to go back and have another meal. Only downside is that the drinks are a little expensive and don't need to be at this price. That puts me off from coming to the venue just for a drink which we would do if the price was slightly lower.

All in all a fantastic place to have a meal - highly recommended.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Dear WesternRose

Thank you for deciding to use The Stanwell Hotel to host your recent party. I am happy to note that Agnes attended to all your requirements and that you enjoyed the amazing food and great service we offer.

Thank you so much again for your kind comments and we look forward to seeing you at the hotel in the very near future.

Kind regards

Reviewed 27 August 2013

Beautifully kept hotel near LHR. 5 of us celebrated a birthday there recently. Whilst the quality of the food was good, they certainly don't cater for the number of people booked. We had booked for 6 but food was not even enough for 5. We had to ask for more scones so we could have 2 each. Don't let it put you off trying them tho, just make sure you get the correct portions per person. £12.50 pp inc pots of tea, sandwiches, cake and scones.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank Maria B

Dear Maria B

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed a visit to the Stanwell Hotel to sample our afternoon tea. I must apologise that the portions were not as expected but am glad to note that this was rectified as soon as it was brought to our attention.

I trust you will be joining us again in the future for another afternoon tea.

Thank you again for your review on Tripadvisor.

Sheldon Baudach

Also consider these accommodations in or near Staines
Travelodge Staines
The Boleyn Hotel
#4 of 5 in Staines
Hyatt Place London Heathrow Airport
Renaissance London Heathrow Hotel

Been to The Stanwell Hotel? Share your experiences!