“Handy For Heathrow”
Review of The Stanwell Hotel

The Stanwell Hotel
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Staines
Reviewed 28 February 2014

Stayed recently before an early flight following day from Heathrow. Plenty of parking, good internet strength, decent bar food ( didn't try the restaurant ), clean and tidy room / bathroom, friendly staff, five miles or so from terminal 1 parking, easy route in. Flying from Heathrow, this is worth a look.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
stanwellhotel, General Manager at The Stanwell Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2014

Dear Cymru13,

Thanks for your review and recommendation to use the hotel on visit to Heathrow.

Perhaps on your next visit you could try one of our "Park & Fly" packages, this takes all the stress and frustration of driving to parking, getting to terminal & etc. It's cheaper than you may think too...

Either way, I do hope you choose The Stanwell for your next visit to the area.

Reviewed 24 February 2014

Very comfortable, and spotlessly clean.very smart bathroom . We had a de-luxe double which was cosy and modern. New carpets and decor throughout. Staff were friendly and helpful.We were allowed a late checkout for a small surcharge.Would definitely stay there again if flying from Heathrow .Car park good.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Sue C

Dear Sue,

Thanks for your recent review of The Stanwell Hotel.

You are right the hotel is ideally suited for both Heathrow & Ashford Hospital. We have recently replaced the carpets in the deluxe bedrooms and soon hope to add to this with other bedrooms improvements.

I hope to see you again on your next trip from Heathrow airport.

Reviewed 21 February 2014

We live local and was keen to try the hotels restaurant, we called to make a reservation for three. We ordered 2 steaks, quality not as good, while I asked for my steak to be cooked rare, it was very difficult to see it was rare, the inside of the meat was a very dark colour, as if the meat had been sitting around for a while, it never had that bright pink fresh colour and was bland and tasteless. We commented to the waiter that the peppercorn sauce was very salty, a bit disappointing as we would of expected the restaurant manager to check it and come over to explain, though I suspect our waiter never past on our complaint. Shame, the head waiter never had time to ask if we were enjoying our meal, he seemed more interested in looking after the one other table in the restaurant. Not sure we will return again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
stanwellhotel, Manager at The Stanwell Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2014

Dear Stanley M,

Thank you for your candid feedback regarding your recent experience at The Stanwell Hotel.

I was sorry to read it did not meet your expectations. Particularly with the dining experience as this is an area we at The Stanwell take great pride. I will share your review with the team as honest feedback, such as yours is essential as we strive to do better.

Stanley M, I do hope you are willing to give the hotel another try and I am confident we will meet your expectations upon your return visit. Perhaps you could try our "Steak Night" (every last Thursday of the month) where we offer 10% discount on our regular steaks and will be introducing nightly offers.

Reviewed 20 February 2014

Stayed one night in December. Really just needed a place to rest after long flight near Heathrow, get up early in the morning, pick up colleague and head into the cold, windy, damp cave that is England in December.

Arriving to the Stanwell, one notices the beautiful tree decorated for Christmas, shining proudly in the middle of the hotel.
Parking was right out front without any worries.
The bar area is very cozy. I sank into a comfy chair and enjoyed my first English brew of this journey. Maybe I did, or maybe it was all a dream. I do know I sat in the chair and there was a bar there. I was exhausted from the stupid flight on that lousy United aircraft. Stupid seats. Stupid guy next to me with his stupid newspaper in my face......who reads actual newspapers anymore? ....all the way from San Francisco to London?

The check in went very well....or at least I recall it was, not sure 100%, but it must have worked out, because I got a key and a room just before zonking out from my bumpy airplane trip.
The room was sufficient. It had all the features I require in a room. There was a bed, stupid tv, bathroom with hot and cold running water.
The room was pretty sparse and basic, but had what I needed.
For being so close to Heathrow, one really could not hear the airplanes buzzing overhead. It was quite nice to not hear the overcharging for lost baggage and wicked flight attendants loudly recounting their exploits in Cancun last week, as I slumbered in my chamber.

One goofy thing: the heat never really seemed to come up above absolute zero in the room. Just could not figure out if the heater was cranking out anything or not. I had read somewhere prior to this trip that the heating was from when Harold lost his eye at the Battle of Hastings, so I felt I was duly warned and just chalked it up to a bunch of goons who can't figure out which side of the road to drive on.

Speaking of goons, I did venture out from the Stanwell and went over to the Swan around the corner. Arsenal was on the telly and looking very poor against Everton. The pub was full of goons (as previously mentioned), who claimed to be Arsenal supporters, but were happy with the pathetic performance resulting in a 1-1 tie with stupid Everton. "well lads, a tie is a point on the table". What a crock of donkey poo to accept a tie as a "great result".
Basically, outside of the Stanwell, the village is full of mad lunatics, who put up a good show of being goons, but end up as push over cracker dork pansy pants fools.

So: stay inside the Stanwell and you will be fine.

Did not have the breakfast, as I had to get my colleague from the airport before brekkies was ready. The breakfast room looked nice and they were setting up what looked to be a pleasant buffet as I was heading out into the dreary, bleak, cold, rainy, damp and musty morning.

Would I stay at the Stanwell again?
I would say yes, as long as I am not barred after posting this review.

Room Tip: Say you are from the Ministry of Silly Walks and are here for an inspection
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
8  Thank Jonathan S

Dear Jonathan,

A genuine thank you for your very funny review it is possibly my favourite review of The Stanwell Hotel. I can only apologise that my response will not be as witty or as well written.

It is sadly not possible to respond to your heating issue as I am unaware of what room and when specifically you stayed with the hotel, but I took from the overall humour in your review that this did not distress you unduly. I can confirm to all other potential guests of the hotel however that our heating is a little more contemporary than 1066.

I will ensure on your return that we surpass your 4 out of 5 review, mainly because other than the score of 4 out of 5 I would classify your review as my all-time favourite!

Reviewed 13 February 2014

Even with all the flooding I am so glad i chose this hotel to stay in for my 5 day course. Price was competitive and the hotel overall is great. Staff are very attentive and friendly. Love it and will choose this hotel again if I am ever coming over. Still have 1 night left with them.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Dear BBagha,

Thanks for your review and commendation that The Stanwell is "the Best Hotel in Staines".

The flooding in the Staines area was a fraught time for many, fortunately The Stanwell was unaffected.

I do trust your final night was as pleasurable as the first four. I further hope to see you on your next visit to Staines.

Reviewed 11 February 2014

Stayed here on 9th February, we needed a hotel near Terminal 4 as we were picking up our son who was on an early flight. The hotel was very clean and well decorated. The double bed seemed small after our Super Kingsize, but was very comfortable.
Staff very attentive and you could choose from cooked (which was delicious) or continenttal.
Free car parking overnight
Would stay here again

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Dear Madeleine F,

Thank you for your "little Gem" of a review.

At The Stanwell we do try to take the stress out of visiting Heathrow, which can be a very frustrating occurrence. I was happy to read that on this occasion we met your expectations.

I hope to see you at The Stanwell again soon!

Reviewed 6 February 2014

Stayed here for one night to save travelling down very early morning to pick up my daughter from terminal 4 so I arrived on a Sunday night and nipped over at 7 in the morning on a Monday and I'm so glad I did . The hotel was very convenient and very close to heathrow it took me about 10 minutes to get to the terminal and I would definitely do this again it's a lovely clean hotel and has ample safe parking the rooms are very nice and from the minute I arrived I knew I'd picked the right place the staff were friendly and although I didn't eat breakfast because I didn't have time it looked a very good set up the hotel has nice seating and a bar if you fancy a drink like I did after a long journey down I wouldn't hesitate to book there again

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
stanwellhotel, Manager at The Stanwell Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2014

Dear DaveDerbyUK,

Thank you for your 5 star review of The Stanwell.

We do strive to make guests of the hotel feel comfortable and I am glad we were able to make your commute to Heathrow to collect your daughter so “easy”. We also pride ourselves on being a friendly hotel so your comments in this regard were also very pleasing, I will pass them on to the team.

I do hope you book with us again, please contact me directly and I hope I can offer you a competitive deal.

James Mahaffey

Also consider these accommodations in or near Staines
Mercure London Staines-upon-Thames Hotel
The Boleyn Hotel
#4 of 5 in Staines
Hyatt Place London Heathrow Airport
The Runnymede on Thames

Been to The Stanwell Hotel? Share your experiences!