“Room good; Overall OK”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Staines
Pleasanton, California
“Room good; Overall OK”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Room we stayed in was nice, very clean,good size room and bath, bed was good, we slept well. Location great if you have a car (free parking on site) you need to drop at Heathrow. Internet did not work in our room, When I complained to the front desk she implied the problem must be with my equipment, even though it worked ok if i walked down the hall a bit. She did not offer to move us. Overall service felt cool at best. Next morning at checkout I was told (by different person) that they had a number of complaints about internet in those rooms, and management had been notified. Did not eat at the restaurant as it had a very limited menu and seemed overpriced to us.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
stanwellhotel, General Manager at The Stanwell Hotel, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear OGLH,

Thank you for your review.

I was sad to read that you felt the service was “cool at best”. The hotel usually scores very well with its service levels. So I am sorry that this was your experience.

In regard to your WIFI issue, without specifics of your situation it is hard to comment directly. The hotel does offer complimentary WIFI throughout the hotel and I am not aware of any particular area of the hotel that suffers from a lack of connectivity. We are exploring the option of upgrading the service to make it “future-proof” but we are still in the evaluation stage of this investment.

I was further saddened to see you felt the menu in the restaurant was “limited”, we have a concise lounge menu & longer a la carte menu updated with daily “specials” to offer fresh & tasty food at what we believe to be good value, particularly when compared to other hotels in the Heathrow area.

That said, your 4 out of 5 score, would imply you still did enjoy your stay overall and we hope should you choose to return to the hotel we can improve upon that score.

Warm regards,
James Mahaffey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Oakville, Canada
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Very good breakfast. Hotel was well appointed. Pleasant staff. Convenient location near Heathrow just off the M25. Very little aircraft noise as it is due south of the main runways. No problem finding a parking space. 5-10min. drive to Hatton Cross tube parking.

Room Tip: My upper-floor room was great but there was no elevator access
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo

Dear Ian N,

Thanks for your review Ian.

On balance I took that your enjoyed your stay. All of the positive you mention are things the hotel does pride itself upon particularly the cleanliness, food & staffing. So thank you for passing on your observations of these.

In terms of elevator access, the hotel does have partial elevator access in the “new” block. But I assume from your comments you were resident in the old house & sadly elevator access here would be impossible.

I do hope however, it has not put you off staying with us in the future.

Wilmslow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I've stayed at The Stanwell twice in the past year, and both times the hotel and staff have been excellent. The rooms are brilliantly clean, very tastefully decorated, and most importantly, spacious. The restaurant in the hotel serves fantastic food too, by far the best in the local area.

Additionally, there is a small outdoor seating area in the hotel grounds, which is a great place to pass a few hours reading in the sunshine with a drink from the bar. (British weather permitting)

One key thing you'll notice at the Stanwell, is just how great the staff are. Everyone I saw there was smiling, and is very friendly. From the moment you check in you're made to feel very welcome, and taken great care of. It's clear the team there take great pride in what they do, and the hotel is a true reflection of this.

I will definitely be staying there again, and would recommend this to anyone looking for accommodation.

In fact part of me doesn't want to share this information with you, as I'd like to keep this hotel as a little gem all of my own.

Room Tip: You cannot pick a bad room here.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Chris W,

Thanks you for your 5 out of 5 review!

I take your hesitancy to recommend the hotel as a massive compliment – thank you!

We do try to be different to the other Heathrow Hotels by doing the simple things right such as cleanliness & tasty food & open honest friendly service. Something I am sure you agree too often lacking in larger chain hotels.

I note you have stayed with us twice in the last year, I hope it is very soon three times!

Thanks again & regards,
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Just stayed one night when visiting friends in the area. Hotel nicely decorated. Room pleasant and all very clean and comfortable. Nice outlook over garden and our room was very quiet.

We left car at lunchtime (plenty of parking) but room not ready so we didn't check in bags. Girls on reception friendly and helpful but night time porter not very smiley!

Breakfast good but service slow although waiters pleasant.

Would stay again if needed to be in area as overall very good but quite pricey although I think that's due to location. Other hotels in area were same price or more and this had better reviews.

• Stayed May 2014
Dear PeggySue,

Thanks for your balanced review of the hotel and your 4 out of 5 score.

We do pride ourselves on the cleanliness standard of the hotel and continue to improve the contemporary feel of the decoration. Our garden is a nice feature and we do all we can to keep it looking its best.

I am sorry if the night porter was a little less friendly than the day team, they are usually very friendly as is the rest of the hotel team, so I do not know why he would have not been so in your dealings with him. Also the breakfast service being slow is unusual for the hotel, we offer a plated service to ensure the quality is good, so I am sorry if this was slower than expected.

Price wise, we do believe the hotel to be competitive with other hotels of the same or indeed a higher category, but as you correctly point out we are in the Heathrow area and this does drive the price points for all hotels.

Jersey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We returned to The Stanwell again, for a night-stop before a relatively early flight out of Heathrow. As we had found previously, the staff and the whole set-up make for a very pleasant night's stay, enhanced by really rather good food at Zamora's at sensible prices. For us, The Stanwell feels much more comfortable and relaxing than the assorted soul-less blocks of other hotels near the airport. Sadly, the promised air conditioning hadn't been installed yet so our room was a little warm and stuffy - once that's been done there will be another * to add to a couple of the ratings. And we will definitely return again later in the year.

Warning: check taxi prices to Terminal 5 if you book at Reception. Last trip we were charged £7, this time it was £15. Also ensure you specify the number of suitcases: our driver got quite excited because we had 3. I had a faint feeling we had been 'ripped off' on this occasion, especially for a journey of about 1 mile.

Room Tip: Exectutive King worth the extra for the ability to sit on own terrace/balcony in the fresh air.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

Dear The Old Brits,

Thanks for your review, reviews from regular guests like your own are excellent as they show a true reflection of how the hotel performs.

I was glad you found your stay & food all up to your expected standard. I can confirm we have now completed 8 rooms with air conditioning to combat the “rare” British Summer issue. On your next stay I hope we can allocate you one of these rooms.

In terms of the taxi prices, we have negotiated as far as we can with the local service for our guests but as this is not controlled by us it is difficult to provide guarantees as to the quality of service & pricing. That said, I will pass your comments on to the taxi service to ensure this poor service is not repeated for other hotel guests.

Warm Regards,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Very nice place and the staff very friendly and extremely helpful helped me book the perfect room respond very quickly to my emails I cant think of anything to that was wrong cant wait to stay here again

• Stayed May 2014
Dear trhcore,

Thanks for your review.

I will pass your comments on to the reception team, they pride themselves on not only responding to guest emails as quickly as possible but in meeting guest’s expectations. So your review is will act as excellent motivation to keep up the good work.

I hope you do come and stay again very soon.

Exeter, New Hampshire
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Great hotel, very nice staff, good location for Heathrow (away from the planes), good food, clean, well appointed rooms, terrible mattress. Layout is a bit confusing, but not to the degree found in many UK hotels. The reason for the 4 and not a 5

Room Tip: Ask if the mattress is new
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Olson40,

Thank you for taking the time for your review.

Thank you also for the positive comments about the staff & the cleanliness & the food. In terms of your comment about the mattress it is hard to comment specifically without knowing, which specific room you stayed, but I am happy to confirm that we have already commenced on a renovation project of the old mattresses and hope to have replaced all of them by the end of 2014.

In terms of hotel layout, we prefer to think of it as “quirky” rather than confusing but this is often the case when a hotel is converted from an old residential building.

Hopefully on your return visit we can get 5 out of 5!

James Mahaffey
Also consider these accommodations in or near Staines
Sofitel London Heathrow
Hilton London Heathrow Airport
Premier Inn London Heathrow Airport (Bath Road) Hotel
Hilton Garden Inn London Heathrow Airport
Ibis Styles London Heathrow Airport
Renaissance London Heathrow Hotel

Been to The Stanwell Hotel? Share your experiences!