“Lovely small hotel”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Staines
luton
“Lovely small hotel”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights in July on a B&B basis although did have evening meals here.

Breakfast was very good with a good choice. In the evenings we preferred to eat from the bar menu - if you like garlic bread definitely order some from here.

I had a double deluxe room which was nice and comfortable with air conditioning and tea/coffee facilities but no fridge.

It would have been an added bonus if there was a gym but still worth a visit.

Would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
stanwellhotel, General Manager at The Stanwell Hotel, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Dear Karenacheryl,

Thank you for your kind review.

It is true to say we are a small hotel and as such do not offer a fridge in our bedrooms, the air conditioning is also available in a select few deluxe rooms. But I was glad that overall you enjoyed your stay.

We do not have a gym onsite but we are looking to work with a local provider to offer this facility to our guests.

I hope you choose to return to the hotel in the future.

James Mahaffey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We stayed at the Stanwell prior to our morning flight back to the US from Heathrow. The hotel is charming and has character and is a good change of pace from the chain hotels around Heathrow. We had a rental car and there is plenty of free parking on site. The drive to Heathrow T5 was easy and took about 15 minutes. The room was clean and looked like it had been recently renovated. The problem was that it was very hot and there was no AC in the room. We were in room 12 which had a patio type door that opened to the rear courtyard area. This helped somewhat with the temperature, but really let the noise from Heathrow into the room. It also let in the bugs as there was no screen on the door. We decided to close the door (the room is pretty quiet with the door closed) and tough it out in the hot room which led to a below average night of sleep. The bed wasn't the most comfortable either. I would not recommend staying on a hot day. This is probably a good option in more moderate temperatures when you can leave the door closed and be comfortable.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dean K
Dear Dean K,

Thank you for your review of the hotel. A little disappointing it was only 3 stars but I understand your view.

I note that you would have preferred to have air conditioning in your room and I believe this may have lifted your 3 star review to 4 or above. Air conditioning is not standard across 3 star hotels in the UK as the need is not as great, however I am happy to report that we have begun installing air conditioning in to the hotel & hope to have it more prevalent in the coming years. Currently we have 8 rooms but soon we hope to have more.

I did enjoy reading that we offer a “change of pace” from the chain hotels in Heathrow as this is one aspect in which we take great pride! Hopefully next time you visit the UK, you can stay in one of our air conditioned bedrooms and give us a 5 out of 5 review!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We had our daughter's 2nd birthday party in the gardens of the hotel. The party was beautifully planned and executed by the ever helpful staff. The food was great and suited the party very well. The weather was good so the kids played outside in the garden the entire time. We would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
stanwellhotel, Manager at The Stanwell Hotel, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Dear RasNJas,

Thank you for your review of the hotel, it is always nice to read reviews about events at the hotel as well as reviews of the hotel bedrooms.

I was very pleased you enjoyed your daughter’s birthday event, they are truly special times! We hope you will choose to hold more vents at the hotel in the future.

Hope Valley
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

I found this hotel based on recommendation of B&B cottage down the street. I loved the hotel . They were friendly and accommodating my late night need for room. Excellent price ! Lamb dinner and wine at hotel restaurant was just what I needed before bed. Early flight in morning.
Plenty of parking onsite. I rarely heard a plane even though hotel is 5 minutes from airport and slept with window open.

Thanks. Will come again.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Dan J
Dear Dan J,

Thanks to you and the people at B&B cottages for recommending the hotel and your review.

We do pride ourselves on food, wine & location to Heathrow while still offering a difference to the larger corporate hotels in the Heathrow market.

Thank you for our 5 out of 5 review and I hope you choose to stay with us again very soon.

Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Booked here because the Sofitel at T5 was fully booked and glad we did. Stayed in a family room which was decent size, well appointed and half the price of the Sofitel.

This is a VERY well run hotel, it might only be a 3 star but far better than an average 5 star. Decent quality food ( the tapas were excellent), good service and friendly staff. Seriously worth booking instead of the more expensive onsite airport hotels. It is also only about 5 mins in a cab from T5. As said, a great find!

Room Tip: Stayed in room 28
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank scott r
stanwellhotel, General Manager at The Stanwell Hotel, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Dear Scott,

Thank you so much for our five star review!

Comparing the hotel to a five star hotel is a great accolade, one I will share with the whole hotel team (and the directors!).

I take it from your review you will stay with us again & I hope it is very soon!

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Arrived Saturday night having travelled north from Goodwood and needing a bath. Room clean but basic. Staff friendly. Dinner came with a discount for two main meals... Good job because the duck was over cooked, it could almost have been pre cooked then cooked again, but the vegetables were nice. Breakfast was very very slow and watery when it came. Though the bacon was nicely cooked. This is a single night stop over found on laterooms.com. It's not somewhere I'd stay again.

• Stayed June 2014
Dear Truckfix,

A steady three out of four is not bad, but perhaps lower than our aim. Having said this we welcome feedback both positive and negative so I thank you for taking the time to review us.

I was sorry your duck was overcooked, did you perhaps raise this to your server? We do cook all meals “a la minute” to ensure freshness and we would have replaced the item if it was not to your liking.

I was also saddened you felt the breakfast service was slow & not of a good standard, we pride ourselves on offering a quality plated breakfast service and not a pre-cooked buffet, so it is unfortunate when it does not meet guest’s expectations.

You state in your review that it was a one-time only stay, which is a shame as it does not give us the opportunity to rectify the issues you encountered. But, thanks to your review, I assure you we will take steps so other guests do not have these issues.

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 28 June 2014

I stayed here for one night as I had a 7am flight out of Heathrow and didn’t fancy a through-the-night drive from Manchester. The Stanwell is just outside the Perimeter Road to the south of Heathrow, and while it doesn’t actually look out onto the runway like the usual airport hotels to the north (Ibis, Renaissance, Marriot, etc.), it’s pretty much just as convenient – it took me say 7 minutes to drive to the Hertz drop-off zone instead of 2 minutes.

The hotel is in a little village and while it is modernised and extended, the fact that there’s an original old house as the basis does add appeal (to me anyway). It was clean, tidy with a reasonable sized room and good bathroom with nice enough amenities. I like the idea of supporting independent hotels rather than big chains where this is sensible, and I reckon in this case it is eminently sensible. At £55 for the night (no breakfast) it was cheaper than an Ibis and every bit as nice and convenient. The restaurant area looked nice and airy and modern (from outside and from the landing that leads to the rooms), though I didn’t go in there.

Room Tip: Room 33 was facing the “main road” and as it was a bit warm (no aircon that I could find) I opened t...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear Keith R,

Thanks for your kind review.

May I say you are very sensible to opt for a night in a hotel after your drive from Manchester, it is a lot easier and much less stressful to start your trip as you did.

The Stanwell is very close to the perimeter road of Heathrow, but we do think we offer something different to the other chain hotels likes the “Ibis” you refer to in your review.

On the strength of your review, I do hope you will return to the hotel in the future.

James Mahaffey
Also consider these accommodations in or near Staines
Sofitel London Heathrow
Hilton London Heathrow Airport
Premier Inn London Heathrow Airport (Bath Road) Hotel
Hilton Garden Inn London Heathrow Airport
Renaissance London Heathrow Hotel
Ibis Styles London Heathrow Airport

Been to The Stanwell Hotel? Share your experiences!