“Excellent Hotel”

Mercure London Staines-upon-Thames Hotel
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Staines
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Had a excellent stay at the hotel. Our room was lovely and clean and spacious, the bed was lovely and comfy, the room had a decent sized flat screen tv , couch and table for you to sit and have a drink at. There was also a mini fridge for you to store your own drinks in, iron and ironing board, trouser presser, tea and coffee fertilities and a phone. The Hotel itself is lovely and was better than I expected from some of the reviews I read off here. The staff were friendly and helped whenever you needed it.We was on the ground floor and there was a wedding party going on and we never heard a thing. The hotel is in the perfect area its close to the shopping centre, restaurants, big tescos, vue cinema (£9.80 each, quite expensive) and is only a short drive to Thorpe park. The only downfall we found was the bar was quite limited with drinks and there was no cocktails or alcopops there was mainly beer ,wine , cider and spirits and the drinks were quite expensive.(£4.50 for a bottle of cider, £4.00 a pint of lager.) Also parking spaces were a bit of a problem because there was only about 30 spaces and they were full just like that so we ended up parking next door at the public park car park which we had to pay for and if you left the car over night you had to be back there for 8am to put another ticket on. However, I would recommend this hotel to anyone and we will be returning within a few months as its the perfect hotel for a nice get away. WELL DONE.

Room Tip: If you want a bit of privacy ask for a room that's not connecting to another one. Also some room...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
MercureThamesLodge, General Manager at Mercure London Staines-upon-Thames Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2013

There are newer reviews for Mercure London Staines-upon-Thames Hotel

Reviewed 13 October 2013

Enjoyed Saturday night here. Lovely room. Very comfortable. And the breakfast was excellent, all freshly cooked, and items were topped up regularly. Coffee took a while to get, but no problem they were busy. I was a little concerned that we may get disturbed during the night as there was a wedding reception on. The dining room looked lovely, hope the bride and groom had a lovely day. We were not disturbed at all, and I slept very well, best I have done for ages. Will certainly come again, when I visit my mum nearby. Location very nice, nice view overlooking river watching the boat racing. Downside, is that one of the reception staff on arrival was very grumpy and off putting.

Room Tip: We had a twin room, and my only picky point, is that, why are the beds always so close together, if...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Thanks for your review.
I am glad you had a good stay with us. See you on your next trip hopefully! The Receptionist will be spoken to, to ensure this will not happen again.

Reviewed 10 October 2013 via mobile

Had a wonderful stay at the hotel. Staff were extremely professional and pleasant.
Breakfast was ample and well presented. Coffee was freshly brewed and hot served on table.
View from the terrace is the USP.

Location wise its perfect if you are travelling to heathrow.

5 Stars!!!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank PChloey
MercureThamesLodge, General Manager at Mercure London Staines-upon-Thames Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2013

Thank you for your kind comments and compliments – I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and I look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Your feedback has been shared with our team.

Reviewed 9 October 2013

Admittedly, my expectations were quite low... However, very reasonably priced, buffet breakfast excellent, bed very comfy. The room was a good size, and even though it faced onto the main road it wasn't too noisy at night.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you very much for your review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit to the Mercure Staines. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 7 October 2013

Having read some of the reviews, I must admit to being slightly nervous about booking this hotel, but I was pleasantly surprised. We stayed in room 78, which was tucked away on the 1st floor and was accessed via 3 private steps, meaning there were no neighbours either side. The room was very large, with it's own balcony, (something that can't be guaranteed as we could see other rooms below with shared balconies), and had a view of the Thames and the railway bridge. Very nice, clean room with large bathroom. We checked in at 1930 hours and the room was quite hot, although the heating was off. We quickly unpacked and then went off to a wedding reception across the road. When we returned at 0030 hours, we tried to be quiet but the floorboards were having none of it, and let out the loudest creaking noises you could imagine! The room was still hot so we opened the balcony doors and were greeted by a late running train passing by. Thank goodness I had read previous reviews and had brought ear plugs! We also heard the occasional slamming of a door and I was thankful that we weren't in the main corridor. Our sleep was broken at 0700 hours when we heard some banging and crashing noises, which was coming from the restaurant below. The pigeons also had it in for us and I had to get up and close the balcony doors.
Breakfast was a buffet and was good. The busy staff were friendly and efficient and we had tea brought to our table. However, if you want milk you have to queue up at the buffet to get it!
When we came to check out, we were greeted by a foreign lady on reception. She gave me a bill for our stay. As I had booked this hotel over the phone, I thought I had already paid for it, (having already given my card details etc). I queried this with the receptionist but I think my query must have been lost in translation because the lady became extremely rude and raised her voice at me. I was completely gobsmacked! I have travelled quite a bit, both here and abroad, and I must admit this was a first! I thought she was extremely rude and unprofessional.
I quite liked the hotel but would I return? No, not after having been spoken to like that.

Room Tip: Busy road so pick a room facing the Thames
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

I am sorry that on this occasion that you were disappointed with your stay. I treat all feedback with the utmost seriousness and people involved have been spoken to, to ensure this will not happen again. Please feel free to contact me to discuss this further.

Reviewed 4 October 2013

Really nice hotel, Stayed here with some friends while we went to a Thorpe Park ministry of sound night. Very close to Thorpe Park.
Room was HUGE and had a massive bed. TV was also large and had a connection for your ipod or iphone so you could play music. It was a nice extra. Bathroom very clean and nice little shampoos and shower gels.
Tea and coffee making facilities with complimentary flapjacks which were delicious!
Room was also very clean with decent view.

Hotel has obviously recently been refurbished, new bar area which looked very nice, although we did not spend much time there as we were just there to get ready and sleep!

Receptionist OK, but customer service was not anything special. Was also a wedding on at the time but did not bother us at all.

Only suggestion would be to book your own taxi, if you plan to go to thorpe park. What should have cost £6-£10 cost us £20 with a taxi booked by the hotel, which is an extraordinary amount for what is a five minute drive!

Otherwise hotel did the job just fine, I have stayed at other Mercure's which have been a lot more shabby than this one, and I certainly cannot complain!

Also BEAUTIFUL location right on the Thames!

Would recommend, but look around for cheap deals!!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

Thanks for your review.
I am glad you had a good stay with us. See you on your next trip hopefully!
Information about taxi is surprising as our local taxi company is very reliable. I will follow up with them.

Reviewed 29 September 2013

Me and my partner are so disappointed with our stay at this hotel. After spending the whole day at Thorpe park. We were looking forward to getting to our hotel to relax. On arrival we discovered there was not enough parking on site. I asked the hotel for some help on the best place to park. Not being very helpful i had to stay in a the pay and display car park around the corner, which was not even 24hr, and came at extra expense.
Once we had got into the hotel to check in. we noticed there was a function in full swing (i believe it was a wedding). Many of these persons were parked and blocking each other in and over packed the car park. The car park should be kept for paying and staying customers. Not for Joe Bloggs who was just there for a booze up, and returning to pick there cars up in the morning.
We were hoping to settle in and then use the riverside restaurant for food. Only to be informed that the facility was of the menu due to the wedding. We should have been informed of this when we booked. We were offered food via room service. yet the menu was limited. After deciding to use the room service to order ourselves some well deserved food and drinks we were told we would have to wait for over 45 minutes on a basic burger and chips and some wine, due to the wedding. This is outrageous.
We had a room with a riverside view witch i had upgraded during the booking. The room was extremely noisey due to the bar being below. We could here drunken people and music playing very loud till early hours in the morning. Not what you needed when you had a long journey the following day. Then before you know it. At 7 in the morning the bar decides to play music which we could hear in our room.
Sleep deprived and unhappy. We had no intention on using the restaurant for breakfast that morning, and could not wait to pack our bags and get out. hotel staff were extremely noisy pottering about in the corridor with cleaning equipment and talking. Obviously the walls must be very thin, but a little respect for your guests would be nice.
Throughout our stay. If we were to use the phone to get the reception or room service we would have to ring for at least 5 mins. i would go down to reception to ask for help, advice or assistance, and i would be waiting at the desk for 10 mins because there was nobody there. The rooms were very tatty and aged and our balcony terrace was not what we expected and very restricted space.
The staff were not very helpful. I would never stay here again. In my full and honest opinion i have had better quality and service in a premier inn.
I have noticed the hotel manager response to many of the complaints on here. Yet still nothing is done about it, which is disappointing. Me and my partner felt let down by the hotel due to the location and the hotels write up.
THANK GOD IT WAS ONLY ONE NIGHT!!!!

Room Tip: choose another hotel.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank mat l
MercureThamesLodge, General Manager at Mercure London Staines-upon-Thames Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2013

I am really sorry to hear that your stay was not up to expectations. I would like to discuss this with you in person.

Please could you contact me on h6620-fo@accor.com

Jogchum Slof

Also consider these accommodations in or near Staines
The Swan Hotel
The Runnymede on Thames
Great Fosters
Great Fosters
#1 of 3 in Egham

Been to Mercure London Staines-upon-Thames Hotel? Share your experiences!