“could do better”

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Staines
Brighton, United Kingdom
“could do better”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

This could be a very nice hotel with a little TLC. My husband and I spent the weekend here on a living social voucher. The car park was free, which is a big bonus these days, the lady at reception was lovely and helpful and the room was very pleasant and at first glance very clean (please check under toilet rim staff). Also free WIFI was a bonus.
A three course evening meal was included. It was a set menu, which is fine, but the waiter was really offhand and unhelpful. The menu said rice and naan bread with the main, but when it was served and we asked for our bread we were told it was one or the other. If we had known we would have had one of each, as would the couple at the next table.
Though it was only 7pm there was no choice of desert as they had run out, and if you don't like pistachio there was nothing else.There was also no slimline tonic available. maybe a trip to a very close supermarket ?
We sometimes feel you get poor service when redeeming a voucher as they are not making enough from you and we certainly felt this in the restaurant. If the service was better we would have ordered extra, more drinks etc. but as it was we went elsewhere.
The food was fine, but the restaurant was very nearly empty on both nights, although many other local establishments were very busy. Perhaps the staff put off potential customers.
The voucher advertised this hotel as being on the Thames, but it was not, it was on the other side of the road.
We felt we had the value of our voucher, but would not have been happy if we had paid full price.
It is a shame as we felt this could be a very nice hotel with a little bit of attention to detail and some customer care.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Lichfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

I travel a lot both for business and pleasure and I feel that I am very fair when writing a report and try to present information that will be useful and relevant to other travellers. Often, when I read a review I feel that the writer may have been unnecessarily critical but in this case I cannot be anything but critical about this hotel. The rooms featured on the website bear no resemblance in any way to the small,dingy,dark room that we allocated so do not be taken in by the pictures.
This hotel needs to add another category to their accommodation which would be a sub standard room,which is what we got. We booked on the Internet, a standard room, but when we arrived I was very,very disappointed and quite shocked with the room we given. I immediately tackled reception and was told that I could upgrade but that " it would cost me " Customer service and relations are not their strong point. The small window opened out onto a covered corridor, I would seriously question the fire regulations here as if we had had to leave the room via this exit we would have been stuck in an enclosed area. The room was small,stuffy and without any external ventilation. Undoubtably this was one of the worst nights I have spent in a hotel and I could not recommend staying here to anyone when there are far better establishments nearby.We were staying in the area for a very special celebration and the experience of staying here completely ruined the weekend for us.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Chris D

Travellers are raving about these Staines hotels

Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Conveniently located on the Egham side of the river Thames, in a quiet area. Rooms are modern, clean, spacious and recently refurbished. Large free car park. Friendly and helpful staff. Certain areas can be noisy if there is a function taking place. The attached Indian restaurant, serves excellent, authentic food. The Breakfast buffet was also good.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the function room area.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

Quiet location in West London; hotel was clean. Booked a standard room - ground floor without aircon. Was given the option to upgrade (£10 extra) for a first floor room with aircon. I'd recommend this. Hotel is located 100 myths from The Thames. A few pubs/eateries within a v short walk. Continental Breakfast included - adequate without being spectacular. I would stay again.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Spotlip
Swansea
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We stayed here on the weekend of 5th July 2014. Firstly the hotel is literally a stone throw away from Thorpe Park which is fab! 1.3 miles to be exact! We had stayed here before and thought a lot of this hotel hence why we stayed here again! The staff have always got time for you and always go out of their way to help you and make sure your stay is just right! We have had an Indian delivered both times staying here and it was both times superb! It was soo nice! There is a great size FREE car park at the hotel which was fab! There is a sainsburys just the other side of the roundabout practically outside the hotel which was very handy! The hotel was very clean and quite modern. We paid £85 for an executive double but was upgraded to the four poster bedroom when we arrived at no extra cost!!! GREAT! The bathroom was amazing including a walk in shower and a huge bath which was amazing! The breakfast was different this time to our last stay as it was a buffet breakfast. You picked your own breakfast which was all separated out into little heated trays and it stayed nice and hot aswell! All in all if I do ever visit Thorpe park or surrounding areas again I would definitely definitely stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: If you ask for a view of the Thames the staff will happily allocate you a room with a view!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Natalie A
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We stayed one night whilst in Staines for a family function. The hotel was spotlessly clean with excellent room facilities. We only used the restaurant for breakfast which was first class. Hotel location and private car parking for 60 vehicles could not have been better adjacent the Thames.
We would stay there again without hesitation

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank commanderdavidjohn
Stavanger, Norway
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I stayed for two nights in an Executive Double with Single Occupancy whilst visiting friends in the area. I was wary of the hotel due to a few bad reviews on this website. I decided to give it a go and I'm glad I did. The room was clean and very comfortable, quite at night and the breakfast was delicious and the service friendly and efficient.. Great location, ample parking, reasonable price and Will return for sure..

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Staines
Mercure London Staines-upon-Thames Hotel
#5 of 5 in Staines
Great Fosters
Great Fosters
#1 of 5 in Egham

Been to The Boleyn Hotel? Share your experiences!