“Terrible customer service, good amenities”

Radisson Hotel Niagara Falls - Grand Island
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Grand Island
Reviewed 1 March 2014

I stayed at this hotel for one night on a trip to Buffalo in September and the only thing good about the hotel was the amenities. First thing I noticed was how old the hotel was, then when I went to the bathroom to freshen up there was no hot water. I work in a hotel so I wasn't going to be rude about it, on my way out for the afternoon I stopped by the front desk and informed there there was no hot water, they promised to have it taken care of before I returned. I got back to the hotel after dinner around 6:00 and there was still no hot water. I change into my swim suit and go to the desk again, saying "I'm going to go for a swim and spend some time outside and in the sauna, there is still no hot water, could you please have it taken care of? I'll need a shower when I get back." I spent a few hours out of my room, giving them plenty of time, then went and had a glass of wine in the restaurant. About 9:00-9:30 I returned to my room, left the water running 20 mins, still cold. When I confronted the desk again, she told me no one had looked at it because there wasn't a problem, and it's an old hotel. She told me my room was located on the far west side of the hotel and it took a while for the hot water to reach there.

That is completely unacceptable in a hotel! Not only did they lie to me about having someone look at it, but then they blamed it on the location of my room??? When I mentioned I left the water running 20 mins and it was still cold she acted as though I was lying to her and said "Well I don't see how that is possible, there is nothing wrong with it"

Very very very poor customer service.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Scott S, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Niagara Falls - Grand Island, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2014

Dear Kate P.

Thank you for your March 1 comments about your stay with us last September. Please accept my apologies for the problems you described with the hot water in the south wing. I cannot tell where you were exactly but would appreciate more information so I can insure that the problem is corrected. We installed 2 new boilers in the building last year and I was surprised to hear about the problem. I only wish you had spoken to me sooner so I could have assisted you more directly. If you can contact me, I will be sure to investigate further.
Scott Swagler_GM

Reviewed 18 February 2014

My family stayed here for a hockey trip this weekend and this hotel is old and run down. I am sure it could be nice but for $125.00 a night it is not. They have no SPA here at all. Hot tub only fits 3 people and the rules change daily with the staff and the lifeguards wear jeans and boots...who are they helping out!!!!. Pool is very nice and big with a shallow spot for little kids. The staff was unhappy and I had to hear all about it during my breakfast from the hostess. They could not keep up and they were getting mad at us. I am sure this hotel was nice 20 years ago but not today!!!! The elevators only had 2 working and had to walk a very long way to the rooms due to this. They should close and renovate before it gets worse!!!!!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Dear Frielch
Thank you for staying here at Byblos Niagara with your hockey team in mid February. I appreciate your comments and will certainly share them with our staff. I am sorry some of them were not as appreciative of your patronage. We recently took over the hotel and are in the process of renovating, part of which includes the installation of new elevators and updating of guest rooms. It will be a long process but should be much nicer when completed. If I can assist on any future stays, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.
Scott Swagler-GM

Reviewed 17 February 2014

My son and I stayed at this hotel during a hockey tournament we participated in at Niagara Falls. I'm sure this hotel was nice when it was first built, but it hasn't been maintained well. The bathroom had mold and mildew in the corners. Which made sense because the shower leaked terribly, the shower curtain was loose, and the toilet ran constantly. They claimed they were having trouble with the tv cable which resulted in NBC not being available so we couldn't watch the Olympics. The "free wifi" didn't work - I wasn't even able to log in, but nobody at the hotel could/would help. The breakfast buffet served cold eggs and potatoes, and the bar tenders were very rude. The location was good, but not enough to make up for all the cons. I won't be staying at this hotel again.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank JoeZ15330

Dear Mr Joe Z
Thank you for taking time to send me your thoughts on our stay with us at Byblos Niagara for the recent Niagara Falls Hockey Tournament. Please accept my apologies for the problems with your room. We recently took over operations of the property and are working diligently to correct many past problems. I do hope that you can contact me back so that I can locate the room you stayed in and correct the issues.
As for the issue with the Olympics, there was indeed an outage in Time Warner's fiber network effecting NBC and 1 other station that they corrected by Monday. Traditional cable subscribers were not effected but those on 100% hi def TV content were impacted. As for the internet issue, there was no outage but I know that some of the newest Apple phone settings need to be adjusted to meet our guest privacy/security settings. All of our guest service agents are aware of this but I will certainly follow-up so this does not upset future guests.
If you are more comfortable e-mailing me directly with your room information, I can be reached at sswagler@byblosniagara.com
Best Regard, Scott Swagler_GM

Reviewed 1 January 2014

We have been to the former "Holiday Inn" for many years. Byblos bought this property at auction and have invested 2.5 million in the Hardware (furnace, roof, exterior etc..) This is a wonderful location along the Niagara River with plenty to do in the area. Easy to get to and a very accommodating staff upon arrival. Dinner was awesome, service excellent, hotel was clean and everything well organized and as expected. Room was clean, apparently just remodeled with new Mattresses. Excellent value for the amenities included. According to Hotel staff, more updates are on the way. Hopefully the cost will not increase too much as well.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Arnie_Robinson

Dear Ambo,

Thank you for your positive comments about our hotel and your stay over New Years here at Byblos Niagara. We are very excited about the many changes happening at our hotel and look forward to having you as our guest for many years to come.
If I can assist in future reservations, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.
Best Regards,
Scott Swagler_GM

Reviewed 15 December 2013

My cousin in USA had booked us for a day's trip to Niagara Falls and the bus trip took us to this sprawling hotel at the end of a long drive and sight seeing. It was a very pleasant surprise and all our fatigue disappeared. The Hotel is located close to Niagara River and has a big lobby with a fire place and huge gymnasium and indoor swimming pool. The room was spacious with two queen beds and a clean big bathroom. The hotel staff was very courteous. The restaurant was huge and overlooking River Niagara. We did not have breakfast as we were to leave early.
My cousin who has visited Niagara a number of times also was amazed at the facilities and said it was much better than where she had been previously. Yes I will definitely love to return here.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 December 2013

had an amazing time staff were great the bar was great and food was great all and all great favorable place to stay!! :) very close to water as well romantic for couples looking for a getaway from city

Room Tip: all rooms are good