“Disapointing”

Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Grand Island
Burlington, Canada
“Disapointing”
Reviewed 11 April 2014

On the morning of our departure from Canada, we received a call from the hotel at 9.am. informing us that the kitchens would be closed so we could not have dinner, claim our $25 dining voucher, or have a hot breakfast. I would have thought that they would have informed us earlier to enable us to re-book. However, it was too late and our arrangements had been made.This made us feel uneasy as the reception area did not appear to be on the ball. On arrival, the Hotel looked rather dated and tired. A staff member was planting plastic flowers in large containers at the front entrance (looked rather cheap and cheesy). The checkin went well with the man being very pleasant and understanding. He did offer us a future discount on a room of our choice. However, this did not make up fully for our disappointment at not having a romantic meal overlooking the river as we had planned.The bedroom was clean and basic. The staff was attentive and courteous.The high note was the view and fabulous location. Not sure if we will return, but you never know? Everything looks so much better in the summer.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Hazel G
Scott S, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Niagara Falls - Grand Island, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear Hazel G,
Thank you for taking time to write regarding your $99 Living Social all inclusive package that you booked for your April stay. Please accept our apologies for for the late notice about the inability of our hotel to accommodate you for your meals. Unfortunately, we are were hosting a large religious convention that started at approximately the same time, disrupting our usual operations and we dropped the ball, plain and simple. I am glad you did enjoy the stay, despite our error and hoping you will take us up on our offer that the reception desk extended. When you are ready to return, please do not hesitate to call me directly for assistance so everything is perfect for your next romantic get away.
Cordially,
Scott Swagler
GM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Thai first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 15 March 2014

We stayed at Byblos recently and had a great experience. The hotel was busy with a conference taking place at the time we were there but the customer service experience was absolutely great. The front desk staff were extremely polite, very knowledgeable and extremely helpful. The dining room staff were also very polite and so willing to help with special attention to not only our needs but we noticed they were kind to the other people dining who had little kids with them.
Our dinner on Saturday night and our breakfast on Sunday morning was excellent.
Upon check-out, the General Manager who happened to be there, came over to speak with us and explained the hotel was going through some changes and we really appreciated his taking the time to thank us for our visit.
Overall, we had a great experience and will definitely be back.

Room Tip: We were on the third floor overlooking the river - great view.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Three B
Rochester, New York
Reviewed 9 March 2014

This is neither a resort nor a spa. We were told when we arrived that the "spa" has not yet been built..."next year". The hotel has sold memberships to its pool and gym to the general public, so the pool area was jam packed with kids from open to close. The hot tub and sauna were in the pool area, so both were unusable by adults. This would be a fine place for a family to spend a few days with their kids. This was not the kind of place you want to be when you make reservations at a "spa." On the positive side, the staff was pleasant and accommodating. They just could not make up for the poor atmosphere.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tuscanphile
Scott S, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Niagara Falls - Grand Island, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Dear Tuscanphile,
Thank you for your comments on your recent stay with us here at Byblos Niagara. Please accept my apologies for the crowded conditions in our pool area. Although I do not have the date of your stay, it sounds like you may have been here in late February when there was a large hockey tournament in the area with many kids using the pool as hotel guests. We do have memberships for the pool but they do not usually account for the volume of swimmers you described. There are also many families that rent suites and bring multiple numbers of children for an inexpensive swim/birthday party, something that we do try and control at the time of booking. Between these 2 groups, it can definitely get a bit crowded. I do appreciate your comment on our staff and will be sure to pass along that positive feedback. If you are in our area again, please do not hesitate to contact me directly for the best rate and recommendations for the quietest times to stay with us so you can more fully enjoy our pool and upcoming spa.
Cordially, Scott Swagler-GM

Travellers are raving about these Grand Island hotels

Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed here with our family for a hockey tournament. Or should I stay we were forced to stay here by the tournament organizers or our team would've been disqualified. The lobby was nice and inviting, but that was misleading for what was to come. The elevator was out so we had to carry out bags upstairs. The ice machine wasn't working. A light was broken in the hallway and there was glass everywhere. The rooms were mediocre at best. Decor was outdated and in major need of attention. The pool area was nice and spacious, but hot tub fit 3 people at best and the lifeguards were awful. The rules changes daily and the kids didn't know from day to day what they were allowed to do. They walked around in jeans and boots - not sure how you save a life that way. Save your money and sanity and stay someplace else.

Stayed March 2014
1 Thank nnygirl
Dear NNYGIRL

Thank you for your comments about your recent stay at Byblos Niagara. I am very sorry that you were forced to stay here by your hockey tournament organizers, and not be closer to the Falls. I have noted your comments about the ice machines and have had repairs made to these 6 month old machines. As for the broken light fixture, our camera system shows a hockey stick being used to slash the lens, causing the broken glass you noted, but we cannot clearly tell what team may have been responsible. I have also directed our pool operations manager to address the attire of our lifeguard. I certainly couldn't agree with you more about that. I do hope you will give us the opportunity to host your team again after full renovations are completed.
Scott Swagler-GM
Williamsport
Reviewed 1 March 2014

I stayed at this hotel for one night on a trip to Buffalo in September and the only thing good about the hotel was the amenities. First thing I noticed was how old the hotel was, then when I went to the bathroom to freshen up there was no hot water. I work in a hotel so I wasn't going to be rude about it, on my way out for the afternoon I stopped by the front desk and informed there there was no hot water, they promised to have it taken care of before I returned. I got back to the hotel after dinner around 6:00 and there was still no hot water. I change into my swim suit and go to the desk again, saying "I'm going to go for a swim and spend some time outside and in the sauna, there is still no hot water, could you please have it taken care of? I'll need a shower when I get back." I spent a few hours out of my room, giving them plenty of time, then went and had a glass of wine in the restaurant. About 9:00-9:30 I returned to my room, left the water running 20 mins, still cold. When I confronted the desk again, she told me no one had looked at it because there wasn't a problem, and it's an old hotel. She told me my room was located on the far west side of the hotel and it took a while for the hot water to reach there.

That is completely unacceptable in a hotel! Not only did they lie to me about having someone look at it, but then they blamed it on the location of my room??? When I mentioned I left the water running 20 mins and it was still cold she acted as though I was lying to her and said "Well I don't see how that is possible, there is nothing wrong with it"

Very very very poor customer service.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Dear Kate P.

Thank you for your March 1 comments about your stay with us last September. Please accept my apologies for the problems you described with the hot water in the south wing. I cannot tell where you were exactly but would appreciate more information so I can insure that the problem is corrected. We installed 2 new boilers in the building last year and I was surprised to hear about the problem. I only wish you had spoken to me sooner so I could have assisted you more directly. If you can contact me, I will be sure to investigate further.
Scott Swagler_GM
Canandaigua, New York
Reviewed 18 February 2014

My family stayed here for a hockey trip this weekend and this hotel is old and run down. I am sure it could be nice but for $125.00 a night it is not. They have no SPA here at all. Hot tub only fits 3 people and the rules change daily with the staff and the lifeguards wear jeans and boots...who are they helping out!!!!. Pool is very nice and big with a shallow spot for little kids. The staff was unhappy and I had to hear all about it during my breakfast from the hostess. They could not keep up and they were getting mad at us. I am sure this hotel was nice 20 years ago but not today!!!! The elevators only had 2 working and had to walk a very long way to the rooms due to this. They should close and renovate before it gets worse!!!!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Dear Frielch
Thank you for staying here at Byblos Niagara with your hockey team in mid February. I appreciate your comments and will certainly share them with our staff. I am sorry some of them were not as appreciative of your patronage. We recently took over the hotel and are in the process of renovating, part of which includes the installation of new elevators and updating of guest rooms. It will be a long process but should be much nicer when completed. If I can assist on any future stays, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.
Scott Swagler-GM
Johnstown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

My son and I stayed at this hotel during a hockey tournament we participated in at Niagara Falls. I'm sure this hotel was nice when it was first built, but it hasn't been maintained well. The bathroom had mold and mildew in the corners. Which made sense because the shower leaked terribly, the shower curtain was loose, and the toilet ran constantly. They claimed they were having trouble with the tv cable which resulted in NBC not being available so we couldn't watch the Olympics. The "free wifi" didn't work - I wasn't even able to log in, but nobody at the hotel could/would help. The breakfast buffet served cold eggs and potatoes, and the bar tenders were very rude. The location was good, but not enough to make up for all the cons. I won't be staying at this hotel again.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank JoeZ15330
Dear Mr Joe Z
Thank you for taking time to send me your thoughts on our stay with us at Byblos Niagara for the recent Niagara Falls Hockey Tournament. Please accept my apologies for the problems with your room. We recently took over operations of the property and are working diligently to correct many past problems. I do hope that you can contact me back so that I can locate the room you stayed in and correct the issues.
As for the issue with the Olympics, there was indeed an outage in Time Warner's fiber network effecting NBC and 1 other station that they corrected by Monday. Traditional cable subscribers were not effected but those on 100% hi def TV content were impacted. As for the internet issue, there was no outage but I know that some of the newest Apple phone settings need to be adjusted to meet our guest privacy/security settings. All of our guest service agents are aware of this but I will certainly follow-up so this does not upset future guests.
If you are more comfortable e-mailing me directly with your room information, I can be reached at sswagler@byblosniagara.com
Best Regard, Scott Swagler_GM
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,323 reviews
Hampton Inn Niagara Falls / Blvd
Hampton Inn Niagara Falls / Blvd
#5 of 50 in Niagara Falls

Been to Radisson Hotel Niagara Falls - Grand Island? Share your experiences!