“Tiny but big”
Review of Lola - Great Neck

Lola - Great Neck
Reserve with OpenTable
Lola - Great Neck is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 111 Restaurants in Great Neck
Cross street: Maple Drive
Bethesda, Maryland
“Tiny but big”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

This small neighborhood restaurant in Great Neck can stand up against any restaurant in the city. The menu has a number of small plates to be shared and each has been a success. There were 5 of us on our last visit, and I think that we tried every small dish.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Sandy C

Oyster Bay, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“interesting food”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

the food was very good at Lola -- an interesting menu that should satisfy almost every diner -- the problem is that it can get very noisy on a Saturday night

• Visited May 2014
Great Neck, New York
“Very good Food with a contemporary flair”
Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

Really enjoyed this place. Good salads, foie grois and the flat bread is to die for. Not a kids place but they are accommodating if need be.

• Visited November 2013
New York City, New York
“Definitely overpriced and very poor food...”
Reviewed 22 March 2014

Overpriced bad food and uncaring management.

I had dinner at this place on Feb 28th '14 with three guests. We chose our meals from the regular dinner menu, not the small plates.. which for some reason is not on their website (or I just can’t find it !) I had the Duck breast (I think it was $37.00) and one of my guests had the scallops with ploenta as a side ($ ??).

The duck breast (duck leather ?) was baaaaad: overcooked, over-salted, dry and tough. I couldn’t finish it ~ which was a first for me, and at the price, was a complete shame and waste of money. Since I was entertaining guests and had selected this restaurant, I didn’t want to make a scene and just left the rest of my meal. I suffered severe heartburn all night and found out the next day that my guest that had the polenta was sick too.

I called on Sunday and spoke with someone named Chris who said he was a manager ~ and he just completely brushed me off. He claimed that since the two dishes we had suffered were prepared at different “stations”, it couldn’t be a problem at the restaurant, and that if my duck breast was unsatisfactory I should have said so at the time (not to self: don’t be nice ~ it’s my hard-earned money and it needs to be well spent.)

• Visited February 2014
2 Thank Alok J
Garden City, New York
“Duck is King here!”
Reviewed 21 March 2014

Many places you can find nice trendy atmosphere, many places you can find great selections of wine, many places you can get great service, many places even have caberet singers to entertain you and many places have great appetizers/delish entrees...but to get it all in one restaurant? Here's the place! Now why do I say Duck is King here? Because of the signature dish...Duck for 2($65)...and don't forget to add the foie gras($15) to the dish. It's so delish and decadent that it can even feed 4people....yes 4 hungry duck lovers because it's that good. The chef serves the duck sliced up with 2 duck confit legs on top of polenta. With the additional foie gras added it kicks it up a notch to "duck heaven". The foie gras was seared perfectly with a crust outside and the luxuriousness of the creamy texture inside intact...oh so good! I asked for the brussels sprouts to be substituted instead of the braised cabbage(smart choice)because this would give the polenta a bit of texture instead of a soft cabbage for veggie. Besides they are quite known for their brussel sprouts at this place...win win situation. Don't know why they serve braised cabbage now since they used to serve it with the brussel sprouts. I like the original version better:) My only critique I might add is that the polenta could've been more creamier because I don't quite like to taste a gritty texture to my polenta. The other critique is that the duck breast should've been rarer but I guess most people prefer it cooked all the way instead of being so rare. Note to myself...request it rare next time I order this wonderful delish dish! The duck confit was very flavorful and quite rich in taste, overall a great taste of a quality product. Now the additional foie gras added was in my opinion was the "piece de resistance", the highlight of the dish...for $15 more it better deliver and it does. I heard it used to be $10 for adding the foie gras but hey...prices keep rising these days on everything. I would get it before it hits $20 someday in the future. I do see it coming! It's really that tasty to try their foie gras. They make it the best, can't remember any place making it better! Honest!!! We ordered a tuna tartare($16)with their exotic chips(their words not mine) and a seared scallop dish($16) served on top of a smear of caulifower with a kohlabi/veggie pickley in the center. The tuna was out of this world so delish. I preferred it with the crunch of the exotic chips but my wife decided to spread it out on the foccacia bread that served to our table. It was truly a nice appetizer, very tasty. Now the seared scallop was fresh and yummy but honestly not enough to calm a hungry couple ready for a fabulous dinner. Why? It only had 2 scallops....yes 2 scallops for $16 appetizer. Personally I don't think the cost ratio for this dish is worthit so take my advice order something else and go buy a pound of sea scallops for $12.99 on sale and sear/cook away to your hearts desire at home. Wished I ordered the foie gras appetizer for $15 instead:( On top of all the food we ordered we even ordered the miso flavored cod($32) on what they call forbidden black rice and bok choy veggies. Sounded really exotic so we wanted to try it...too much indulgence? Yes...we should've stopped at the duck for 2. The fish was cooked perfectly and it was delish but the forbidden rice? Too salty and the texture was just meh, the bok choy was ok but really not worth the $32. This place overall is quite the place to go and the selections they offer is quite tempting. The wines we ordered were delivered in little carafes which they were kind to offer a taste before we consummed it. The wines by the glass ranged from $13-15 FYI.

Service was really personable and attentive maybe because we went on a Thursday night. Great strategy if you want to dine in a relaxed atmosphere instead of the weekend rush. This place is a must do for any foodie out there that appreciates fine dining in a no mush foo foo atmosphere. Enjoy...we did:)

• Visited March 2014