“decent hotel”
Review of The Andrew Hotel

The Andrew Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Great Neck
Reviewed 8 September 2009

we recently stayed at the Andrew hotel for two nights for a wedding. check-in was smooth and our experience with the front desk was very pleasant. our room was a good size, although i agree with a previous poster that i found the "closet" (aka rod covered by a swath of fabric) to be slightly odd for the price point for the hotel- but it was fine. the bathroom was clean and the toiletries were nice, but the bathroom was tiny. free wi-fi was useful. breakfast was decent- nice selection of bagels/pastries and hard boiled eggs. btw, the restaurant next door (colbeh) was awesome.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Andrew Hotel

Reviewed 8 September 2009

My husband, 15 year old son and I traveled to the US Open this past weekend and decided to stay close to the venue and along the LIRR to access the event. The Andrew is indeed across from the Great Neck train station, but that is absolutely all it has going for it.
We checked in fairly late on Friday to our nonsmoking room. We were nearly knocked over by the cigarette smell upon entering and requested a room change. The only room left available smelled of mildew and my son said he smelled urine. Needless to say we were disappointed and cut our 3 night stay to one night because we could not relocate at the late hour.
We did see the "breakfast area" which was equally gross - basically a converted hotel room into a restaurant, yuck. There are absolutely better options at the same price, so you should NOT book the Andrew!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 September 2009

We went to visit NYC on labor day weekend and we had our Worst hotel experience EVER. The first night there, we gave our car valet since they advised us they have only valet parking (i guess easier to steal people's belongings) and next morning we wake up take our car and what we see it was vandalized. we go tell the front desk about what happened and they were not helpfull at all. They just took our number and told us the manager will be in touch not even a sorry. we stayed there for 3 nights and every day the same response not even say that they're sorry or something for Christ sake they were so rude. we got back now and not even a phone call from the manager. You think this hotel is in a nice neighborhood however BE AWARE FROM THEM THEY WILL STEAL and not care because they say "they are not responsible for the loss of your belongings" on the valet card. The valet people kept laughing at us while we were in and out of the hotel. The 2nd and 3rd days we didn't give our car valet. we parked ourselves and they still charged us. VERY BAD STAFF. we thought this was better hotel since we were paying way more money from other places we used to stay in this area. My Only advise to you BE AWARE FROM THIS HOTEL AND STAY AWAY...

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank poupeeOntario
hotelmanagercate, General Manager at The Andrew Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2009

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconveniences that were encountered during your stay. I can understand your frustration and I am very sorry I was not available to speak to you directly. In regards to the vandalism issue, I am very concerned and will be personally investigating this issue. I do apologize that our staff were not responsive to you and the situation as well. I know when traveling it is even more important to feel at home. Our goal is to ensure 100% guest satisfaction, I am truly sorry that you left disappointed. I will be contacting you directly to discuss further.
Sincerley,
Catherine Muro DeLucia

Reviewed 3 September 2009

The building is in a great location and is pretty. Upon arrival, I parked in a spot with a sign that said "Hotel Guest Parking Only." Given that I was a hotel guest, I parked. It turns out that the valet told me I couldn't park there -- it was only for valet parking. The signage needs to be corrected. The lobby is pretty, the rooms are nice, but there was some sort of odor in the room and the vent between adjoining bathrooms let noise travel. Breakfast was sufficient with an option to sit outside on a balcony. But there was a big screen TV in the room and the volume wasn't loud enough to hear. I guess it was OK to have a TV in the breakfast room, but it kinda felt like some cheap restaurants, hospital cafeterias etc. that I have eaten in. Overall, the employees were very cordial.

I paid $179 and given the price, would expect some of these kinks to be worked out. It kinda felt like a nice European hotel: good, but with some bumps in the road.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 July 2009

I travel to Great Neck for business and like this location. The Andrew has a boutique feel and is very convenient to the area restaurants, shop and train platform. You are also provided a light breakfast and coffee in the lounge.

The staff was very friendly and polite. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 October 2008

This hotel reminded me of a West Hollywood boutique hotel in terms of its appearance and the hipster music playing in the lobby and in the driveway.

However, I had a feeling we were in trouble as soon as we walked in the door of the hotel. It smelled old with a hint of air freshener trying to cover it up. On the way to our room, I noticed dings in the walls and that the maintenance seemed to be lacking. When we opened the door to our room, we were hit with the awful smell of cat urine. This is not what we expected for a place that cost us almost $800 for two nights. Given we had just flown in on a red-eye from Los Angeles, we were too tired to ask to be moved. The shower in the bathroom also took some fidgeting to get to work.

We arrived around 6am after a red eye from Los Angeles. The front desk clerk wasn't particularly friendly when we checked in but she did improve later when we inquired about nice places for breakfast. The valets were the best part of this hotel. The staff in general was very helpful.

The hotel's location is very convenient. It was nice to be able to walk around Great Neck. We had breakfast at Bruce's which was fabulous. Very easy to get to and from JFK.

The hotel was generally quiet and the bed was comfortable. We won't stay here again though because it's overpriced for what you get and the cat smell was just awful.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
1  Thank CarolynLosAngeles
Reviewed 11 August 2008

We stayed at The Andrew for a long weekend and just returned on Saturday. The hotel was very clean and the staff could not have been more courteous and accommodating. We had planned to stay from Aug 7-10th (Thurs-Sunday), but plans changed and we needed to leave on Saturday. Despite missing the cancellation deadline, we were not charged for Saturday night and the staff was prompt and professional in canceling the reservation a day early.

The location of the hotel is perfect for travel into the city. It is right across the street from the Long Island Railroad, which brings you into midtown in less than 1/2 hour. It is also conveniently located near wonderful restaurants, our favorite being Bruces, a diner/bakery combination with an extensive menu including appetizers, salads, sandwiches, main entrees, soups, and of course, fabulous NY baked goods.

The hotel rooms are your typical New York hotel rooms, with a feel of a modern touch. The only drawback that we had in this particular room was the lack of a bathroom counter to place our own toiletries. I noticed in a photo taken by another tripadvisor member that their bathroom did allot quite a bit of counter space. We simply moved their complimentary toiletries and made some space for ours.

The Andrew is housed in a rather older NY building and although very clean and well maintained, the rooms are not soundproofed and so you hear the sounds of New York quite early in the morning...namely, 5:30A.M. sanitation pick-up. We, fortunately, always travel with a white noise machine and for the most part, that countered the outside noises quite well. What was very refreshing was the lack of housekeeping talking loudly outside the rooms to each other early in the morning, which sadly too often happens in hotels. Not here! They were out there, but extremely quiet and very respectful of sleeping guests.

A complimentary breakfast was included in our rate and it sufficed. They had a variety of pastries, hard-boiled eggs, cereals, fresh fruit, yogurt, fruit juices, coffee and tea. It was nice not to have to buck NY crowds first thing in the morning.

So...bottom line, if your travels bring you into NY and you don't want to pay the regular exuberant city prices, consider The Andrew as an alternative and yet, a very good place to stay, quite convenient to the city.

Have questions, feel free to email me at Tpm430@aol.com. I check my emails daily.

Happy Travels to you!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Great Neck
Hilton Garden Inn Roslyn
Adria Hotel And Conference Center
Best Western Queens Gold Coast
Holiday Inn Express ROSLYN - MANHASSET AREA

Been to The Andrew Hotel? Share your experiences!