“A very pleasent surprise”

Inn at Great Neck, BW Premier Collection
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Great Neck
New York City, New York
“A very pleasent surprise”
Reviewed 6 March 2013

My wife and I stayed here 3 times becasue of its convenience to friends on Long Island. The hotel is very charmimg and teh staff could not be nicer or more helpful. We found the rooms to be comfortable and at least when we were there clean and quiet.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Franklin M, General Manager at Inn at Great Neck, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, 8 March 2013
Thank you for your feedback. It is very nice to read that you enjoyed your stay with us on multiple occasions. I am especially delighted to hear about the personalized attention you received from our team and knowing they did what they could to make you feel welcome and comfortable. I am also delighted to hear that you found our rooms and the hotel overall to be comfortable and quiet. That is what we aim for as a small luxury boutique hotel and that is how it should be. Please continue to share you experience with others ad please come back to see us and stay with us again in the very near future. Please take a look at our exclusive TripAdvisor special.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Glastonbury, Connecticut
Reviewed 15 January 2013

The Inn at Great Neck is one of only two hotels in the area. Price packages are very negotiable (I negotiated parking and breakfast/brunch included). The outside of the hotel is plain brick in the middle of a commercial street.
When you walk in the lobby it is nice but nothing special. However, from the moment the valet assists you with your car you realize that SERVICE is the key at this hotel. The staff are friendly, helpful and will assist you with just about anything.
The room we had was lovely. Spacious, with a small kitchen area, small desk area and a beautiful bathroom. The decor was modern with a flat screen TV and a minibar (don't use this because the cost is high and you can easily bring your own snacks), Our room was very quiet. The bed was very comfortable.
The housekeeping staff were very accommodating, bringing us more pillows, toiletries, etc as soon as we requested. We even had them steam wrinkles out of a tux, which they did without charge.
The Giraffe Restaurant has a pleasant decor but nothing special. The night we were there was just before New Year's and we were the only guests. Our food was superb. The grilled portabella appetizer was mouthwatering and a perfect consistency. The fish was delicate and perfectly presented. The steak was tender and juicy. We also ate brunch there on New Year's Day. This was adequate but not extensive, though the food served was very delicious. Would have liked a bigger variety. I missed the lox for the bagels and cream cheese. One disappointment was that the restaurant did not serve cappachino.
Overall, I had a very enjoyable stay and would return if I was in that area again.

Room Tip: get the larger room for the same price. Negotiate for parking, brunch, LI Railroad Tickets, etc.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Franklin M, General Manager at Inn at Great Neck, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, 16 January 2013
Thank you for your feedback and sharing your experience with the Inn at Great Neck with others that rely on TripAdvisor to make their traveling arrangements when visiting Long Island and the Great Neck area.

I am very delighted to hear and see that the services our team provided to you were exceptional. That to me is perhaps more important than any other aspect of the Hotel and I feel is missing in many other Hotels and industries these days. We pride ourselves on the customer service we provide to our guests. Again, I thank you for recognizing our efforts and sharing them with others.

I am also very happy to read that you enjoyed the food and the services in our restaurant. That has been an area of focus and attention that we have invested time and many other resources in. I (we) appear to be making a difference according to your review and other feedback we are receiving.

Just as we focus and invest time, attention, and resources in the restaurant, we do so throughout the property. I can assure you and others that we will continue to do just that and if and when you return you will notice and recognize the progress and changes we are dedicated to making.

In closing, I thank you for your time and consideration. Please continue to share your experience with others and please be sure to stay with us again in the not too distant future.

ascona
Reviewed 13 January 2013

We chose this hotel because of its location as our son lives in LI and we wanted to be near him and JFK for our onward trip. In spite of some reviews which labeled this hotel as noisy (I was worried about it as I am a very light sleeper), I must say that our suite on the 4th floor towards the front street was very quiet: no noise from the street, nor in the halls. The only thing that woke me up at 6am was the guest on the 5th floor using the bathtub or shower which reverberated into our room.The suite was spacious but its decoration outdated and in need of refurbishing. It was very cold when we arrived and the heating did not work properly. The maintenance person tried to solve it without much success. We used mostly the living area where it worked and used the bedroom only to sleep- the bed was comfortable. Bathroom was small for a suite. The breakfast was OK for the price but also the decoration of the restaurant very dark, outdated and certainly not "elegant" as stated in the SLH website. All in all I was expecting something more in line with other SLH I have stayed in in Europe. I don't know how the Inn at Great Neck got onto their list.

Room Tip: Seemingly the corner rooms towards the front street are the quieter ones.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Franklin M, General Manager at Inn at Great Neck, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, 14 January 2013
Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry that we did not exceed your expectations and provide you with the luxury experience you were expecting or desired.

We will keep your feedback and opinion in mind. I can and will assure you and other travelers that the Hotel continues to invest time and money back into the Hotel and throughout the property. For us advancement and progress are very important; however, we do and will maintain our Art Deco style and decor, which may not always please all of our guests, but the vast majority certainly appears to appreciate it.

I encourage our guests and potential guests to continue to see and ask us about the upgrades and advancements we have and will make. As I have said, investing resources back into the Hotel is paramount, and the Hotel’s owners and management team are doing jus that on a regular basis.

All the best to you and yours!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 23 December 2012

We very much enjoyed our stay. Staff was very helpful and friendly.
The only problem we had was that the room we got was too hot and there was no way to cool it down even though the maintenance person tried. We had to change rooms and the 2nd room was OK.
Room and location very very convenient, and near the local train with good access to NY City.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Franklin M, General Manager at Inn at Great Neck, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, 26 December 2012
Thank you for your feedback. We are pleased to hear that our staff was friendly and accommodating during your stay at the Inn at Great Neck. It is so important to us that our guests have a pleasant experience regarding the services we provide.

I do apologize that you had a problem with the heat in your room. I am not sure why one of our maintenance team members was not able to assist you; however, I will bring it to the attention of our Director of Services and we will of course do our part to remedy the situation.

I hope that you will soon visit us again and have a better overall experience.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

All the best! Have a Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year!!

Flushing, New York
Reviewed 11 December 2012

There are many great reviews about the hotel accommodations already, so my review is more for people who are planning for an event nearby. My husband and I had our wedding at the Swan Club in Roslyn which was a short driving distance from Great Neck. We were looking for a hotel that was reasonable in price but also convenient for out of town guests. We looked at several hotels closer to where we live as well as to the wedding venue. The cheaper hotels had poor reviews and questionable cleanliness. We were looking to stay within a particular range since NYC and Long Island prices are more expensive than what our guests are used to. When we found the Inn at Great Neck, we knew we had the winner. The reservation block price they offered for the Sunday night was only $40 more than the cheapest hotel we found, but had a much higher rating in reviews.

The hotel is conveniently located in the heart of Great Neck, 3 blocks from the train station. This is perfect for guests who have no car, since a LIRR ride into Manhattan is only 25-30 minutes and goes to Penn Station, allowing multiple options for Amtrak, New Jersey transit, and even ways to get to the airports.

The Inn is very clean and beautifully decorated with a 1920s/30s theme. It’s got a lot of style and feels like a high end boutique. The staff there is very friendly and accommodating. They answered all my emails very quickly and courteously. They walked me through all the services they provide, including the late bar for post-wedding parties and shuttle services. The shuttle is provided through a third party company and you get a special rate when you book through the Inn. This shuttle service was a saving factor, since we also needed a way to transport wedding attendees who weren’t staying at the hotel but were coming from other parts of NYC. With the LIRR nearby, there were no problems getting to the Swan Club, which is not easily accessible without a car.

The hotel gave us a free upgrade from a deluxe room to a suite that consisted of the bedroom and a sitting room with couches. This allowed us to catch up with friends throughout the night. The bed was super comfy, the down comforter was perfect even though it wasn’t cold out yet. There were a lot of touches in the room that made it a well spent night at the hotel. Because we were exhausted from the wedding and had plans the next morning, we didn’t look into other amenities in the hotel such as the gym or dining. The hotel also provided us with a complimentary romance package, which included rose petals scattered on the floor and bed, and a chilled bottle of champagne. It was a very nice touch to the end of the wedding night.

The only other factor to consider, which other reviewers have mentioned, is the charge for parking your car. It costs $12 a night, which sounds ludicrous to some people who don’t live in metropolitan areas, but because Great Neck only has free street parking on Sundays, there isn’t many options unless you want to feed the meter every 2 hours. Compared to parking garages and municipal parking, the price isn’t too bad, especially when you are used to insane NYC prices.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Franklin M, Manager at Inn at Great Neck, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, 16 December 2012
Thank you for sharing your Inn at Great Neck experience with us. We are very happy to read that we did what we could to make your overall experience a pleasant one. We certainly realize that people have other Hotels to choose from in the area; however, we are proud to say that we do in fact host the majority of guests for wedding and other special occasion blocks. We are not the least expensive Hotel in the area, and perhaps we will never be; however, as you described, it was our Hotel and the Hotel's team that made sure everything went well for you and your guests. We expand our services beyond the Hotel because we care and because we realize that we are after all, only part of the overall equation.

We thank you for sharing your experience with others that may be considering the Inn at Great Neck as their host hotel for a group block and/or banquet event.

Please continue to share your experience with others and we hope to have you and perhaps our guests that stayed with us again in the near future.

We will continue to do all we can to ensure we exceed our guests and customers' expectations.

Lansdale, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 11 December 2012

This hotel has a great breakfast! I was here with a group and the hotel is very clean and was nicely decorated for the holiday. I think that the only bad thing that I would say about the hotel is that the king size bed was not as comfortable as I had expected but the room was so clean!!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
Franklin M, General Manager at Inn at Great Neck, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, 16 December 2012
Thank you so much for sharing your overall experience with us and other travelers that may be considering the inn at Great Neck as their host Hotel. We are very delighted to learn that you enjoy our amenities and services, specifically our breakfast service in our restaurant. We are also very delighted to read that you found our accommodations and common areas clean. That is very important to us as it is for so many of our guests. We're happy you enjoy the holiday decor too. It is in place for all to enjoy during the festive holiday season.

In regards to the quality of the bed, that is certainly something we are addressing and will have resolved come the spring off 2013. We have been making many enhancements and have been putting a lot of money back into the Hotel to help ensure an overall pleasant and restful stay with us. Our bedding is in the process of being changed; however, it does take a little time. It is our hopes that the next time you may choose to stay with us our rooms will be complete; however, we'll always look for ways to continue to enhance one's experience. Until next time, all the best to you and yours!

Great Neck, New York
Reviewed 28 November 2012

Checked in for a weeks stay, the clerk blew me off for 5 minutes to answer calls while trying to check in. The room was nice, up to date, and clean. Went to the bar for dinner, had to flag a guy down to order, french onion soup was ok at best, and the chicken sandwich and fries tasted like it came out of a microwave and was nasty. If you stay here, dont eat here.

Room Tip: Choose a front room, the ones in back are next to the train tracks.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank healingsnake
Franklin M, General Manager at Inn at Great Neck, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, 29 November 2012
Thank you for your feedback. I do appreciate you sharing it with us. I apologize that we fell short regarding our services. The guest standing in front of one of our Guest Service Agents must always take priority; however, I am of course not sure of the particular circumstances. I am sure that the person and/or guest on the phone with our agent(s) required our attention as well. Our agents should have at least let you know that they may need a minute or two. I am sorry if they did not do so.

I do also apologize for your dining experience. I will certainly bring your experience to the attention of our Food and Beverage Manager and our chefs. I know that all of our food is in fact made fresh on a daily basis. We are always willing and able to make another dish for a guest if they in fact do not like the one they chose. I do hope that you brought it to our attention at that moment and that we were able to accommodate you better.

I am happy to read that you enjoyed our accommodations; however, I realize that great accommodations without great service do in fact only add up to perhaps an average overall experience. That of course is not what we want or strive for. Our goal is to exceed the expectations of our guests, which is something that we ordinarily do.

As stated, your feedback will be brought to the attention of team that is here to serve you and others. We want and need to do better and that is always our goal.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Great Neck
Adria Hotel And Conference Center
Garden City Hotel
Garden City Hotel
#2 of 4 in Garden City

Been to Inn at Great Neck, BW Premier Collection? Share your experiences!