“What a Fantastic Stay!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Greenport
Ruby's Cove Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #4 of 10 Greenport B&B and Inns
North Babylon NY
“What a Fantastic Stay!”
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Background

April 7th was our 30th wedding anniversary, and my wife and I wanted to spend a nice quiet weekend at a Bed and Breakfast away from the daily grind. We wanted a locale where we didn’t have to drive 2+ hours to get to(we live in North Babyon). Since we’ve never been to the North Fork, we decided to spend it there and chose Greenport. According to Fodor’s, it is the “prettiest” town on the North Fork. Next up was to decide on which B&B to stay at. After much research I decided on Ruby’s Cove Bed and Breakfast. Its close proximity to main street (127 steps is correct!), quiet location off the main thoroughfare, the legendary innkeeper Donna Gruber, her breakfast cuisine, and the allure of a 177 year old Victorian drew me in.

The Cove

Simply amazing. Interior design is Bohemian and is quite exquisite. The furniture is mostly handpicked and Donna did a fabulous job of blending the various pieces together. Our room (The Madeline) was comfortable and the bed was great. Bathrooms are small. 2 out of the 3 rooms have ensuite bathrooms. Keep in mind the age of this Victorian before complaining about the size of the bathroom. There are no TV’s in the entire house and to be honest we did not miss them. Mood setting music played throughout the day. There are numerous nooks and crannies throughout the house and I found the architecture of the house to be very interesting. This was a place where one can simply pull up any of the numerous chairs (Donna dared me to sit in every one of them and I did) kick back and….relax! Simply doing nothing is still doing something. Breakfast is at 10am which was perfect for us because I fail to see the need to wake up early to have breakfast in order to get it out of the way, so that we can adhere to a rigid itinerary. In my opinion, this would defeat the whole purpose of staying here. Forgot the clock and enjoy the freedom at least for the weekend. Get out there and just talk to people. By the way, wait until you see what “breakfast” really is! Yes, the French Toast is…. (speechless). To work off the breakfast, we would jump on the bikes that Donna provides, and ride throughout the town and its outskirts. Pay careful attention to the architect of the fabulous homes you’ll come across.

Greenport

It’s a magical place. I never knew that one town can have a collection of some of the friendliest people I have ever met all gathered in one place. What is also incredible about this town is how many folks know Donna and they all revere her. I can understand why though. Great restaurants, awesome shops. Don’t miss the North Fork food truck that stops in front of the Greenport Harbor Brewing Company on Saturday afternoon. Be sure to sample the 8 different beers in the brewery all for $8(right next to the Cove). I would suggest after the beer tasting, head immediately over to The Salamander General Store for the best tasting fried chicken. For dinner we ate at First & South, Noah’s, and The Frisky Oyster. We liked Noah’s the best for the quality of the food and service, but you can’t go wrong with either of them. As you stroll through town you will forget that you’re still on Long Island.

The Keeper of the Cove

Donna Gruber. We now consider her a friend. Nowhere have I ever met a more gracious and accommodating host. Her bubbling, friendly, outgoing nature is simply infectious. It’s natural that when you stay at these types of establishments, you hope that as strangers, we all get along; otherwise the weekend would be a bust. Don’t worry-Donna has perfected the art of balancing her time and interactions with the other folks also staying at the Cove so that in a short time, everyone is getting along with each other like old friends. It is uncanny how Donna brings people together and for that I am extremely grateful. I know the prior reviews may have seemed over the top, gushing about Donna. I thought so too, to be honest, and Donna and I spoke at great lengths about this, as well as enjoyed some laughs over this subject. I can tell you that everything said about Donna is absolutely true. Add me to those ranks. Her suggestion to stop at the Love Lane Kitchen in Mattituck on the drive in was appreciated-what a great eatery! And, since it was our 30th wedding anniversary, at my request Donna helped me to surprise my wife by having a bouquet of flowers, balloon, and champagne waiting in our room when we first arrived. All in all, it was the absolute perfect weekend for us!

Conclusion

My wife and I already miss our wonderful weekend stay at Ruby’s Cove. We miss the breakfasts. We miss the beautiful town of Greenport. We miss the shops and restaurants. We miss the quiet time together. We miss our bike rides. We miss the camaraderie of our friend Donna….until next year…..

PS. Donna, Jodi is determined to win the bet. The pics will follow shortly. Also, please keep an eye on that Chimney Cap. When I come back I want to see it still on! LOL….be well.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank grumpy611

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Donna is sweet and goes out of her way to accommodate you. The B&B is welcoming and warm, and located near everything. And the breakfast is delicious and will fill you up for hours. A great, relaxing weekend getaway. Go for it.

• Stayed April 2014
Williston Park, New York
Reviewed 3 April 2014

The house is gorgeous and comfortable and clean. Every morning we enjoyed a tasty multiple course breakfast. The room was clean, the bed was comfortable. The bathroom was small but clean. The hot water worked perfectly and quickly which is rare for an old house. The living room and common areas were pretty. The couches were comfortable. The owner is kind woman who is willing to talk to every couple.

Room Tip: All rooms are pretty and clean. one room does not have a bathroom. I would choose a room that has a...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Mahwah, New Jersey
Reviewed 1 April 2014

The innkeeper, Donna, goes so far out of her way to make you feel welcome and like old friends from the moment you walk through the door - you will be smiling for days after your departure.
Donna's suggestions and referrals never disappoint (restaurants, tours, wineries, etc.) The inn is cozy, clean and relaxing. We had fun taking in her collection of antiques and fanciful décor. We loved the music and the breakfasts were soooo good. Linda S

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
NYc
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Even before we arrived, we heard how wonderful Donna Gruber will make our stay at Ruby Cove. Words cannot explain the passion she has for a marvelous guest experience. Starting with discounts at local restaurants, wineries and stores, appetizers on arrival, beautiful rooms, and unbelievable french toast and breakfast we cannot stop raving. Location is key to town. We went in off season, yet Donna was an amazing resource for shopping, dining and wineries. We are fantasying about the breakfast we had and how relaxing our time was at Ruby's Cove.

Jill M.

Room Tip: We chose a King Size room with a small bath in it, but she has a larger bath outside the room that s...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
East Meadow, New York
Reviewed 31 December 2013

I wanted to surprise my boyfriend with a long weekend getaway so I did quite a bit of research and ended up staying at Ruby's Cove. When I first started researching I contacted multiple hotels and B&B's spanning the north fork and hamptons but chose Ruby's Cove for a bunch of reasons. The innkeeper at Ruby's, Donna helped to make my decision a very easy one. From the beginning Donna was truly passionate about her B&B as well as flexible. Prior to confirming my reservation I wasn't sure if my boyfriend and I would be able to stay longer then one night but I'm so happy we took Monday off. Most of the hotels and B&B's didn't break their two night minimum which was a bit frustrating. After confirming my reservation with Donna she gave me a wonderful itinerary which included many stops from Nassau County all the way to Greenport. She gave us wonderful suggestions which included Martha Clara Vineyard, Love Lane, The Village Cheese Shop, The Sweet shop next store, and one of my favorites, Sparkling Pointe. The multiple stops along the way broke up our trip so the drive didn't seem long at all.

We arrived to Ruby's Cove around 5pm and were treated like old friends from the beginning. Donna is so warm and friendly it felt as if we knew her forever. It smelled absolutely wonderful as soon as we walked in and the house had such a Victorian charm that I fell in love from the beginning. The chairs were so comfortable, the music was so relaxing and the wine and cheese were excellent. Don't worry about not having enough to eat because Donna's table was always full of delicious treats and we never felt like we were hungry. It's safe to say Donna knows everyone in town so she has all the latest and greatest when it comes to what's going on in town and the restaurants.

Donna had multiple menu's for Chris and I to look at so we pretty much had our night planned out. We went to quite a few wineries so we were happy to walk to everything. We had dinner at The Front Street Station which was cozy and delicious. Make sure to try the North Fork Chowder when you go. I had a salad and Chris had pasta with Shrimp and Scallops. Initially I was a little concerned because Front Street didn't look like the fancy establishment but the pasta was absolutely excellent. After dinner we walked around to some of the shops but make sure to go before 8pm because out of season most places only stay open to 8pm. Sweet Indulgences which is not even 5 minutes from Ruby's stayed open the latest. Most restaurants close by 9, 10pm the latest.

We stayed in the Madeline which was really great. The bed was super comfortable and the room is so nicely decorated. Chris is 6'3 and the shower was a bit small but it took care of what it needed to. The terry cloth Land's End robes were a great touch and very soft on the skin.

The next day we had Donna's WORLD'S FAMOUS french toast. You have to ask for this when you go.....probably some of the best I've ever had. If you know you are staying at Ruby's make sure to give Donna a few days heads up if you want the French Toast. (I would absolutely have this if you do enjoy French Toast) Donna's orange mango juice was also refreshing and delicious.

After breakfast we decided to drive around to a few more wineries. There are so many to choose from but we went to Bedell and One Woman. All the people we met at the wineries were extremely friendly and very knowledgeable about the wines. Make sure to sit back and relax at the wineries because each are different from the next. We decided to head back into town and walk around a bit even though the weather was rainy and disgusting because the shops weren't going to stay open late. All in all you have a nice assortment of shopping. I bought a tshirt as a souvenir but nothing else really.

After walking around a bit we came back to hang at Ruby's and were extremely cozy in the floral arm chairs. We read books, listened to music and had a lot of nice wine.

As far as breakfast, also make sure to have her Eggs Benedict. You won't go wrong with either. If you happen to like italian make sure to take a drive to Southhold (not far at all) and try Michaelangelo's. Huge portions and we were very happy to hear they stayed open till 10pm. Jamesport is a short drive away which we were told to try, didn't end up making it there but would be worth a trip next time.

We would absolutely recommend Ruby's Cove. I was extremely surprised at some of the negative reviews on Trip Advisor. You won't meet a nicer person then Donna and she's more then accomodating. Some of the B&B's I came across seemed stuffy and hoity toity if you know what I mean. I would describe Ruby's Cove as cool, calm and collected. If you want to do something different yet relaxing you are in for a real treat if you choose Ruby's Cove. Chris and I will definitely be back.

Room Tip: No swimming pool or fitness center at Ruby's Cove.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lisa P
long island
Reviewed 17 December 2013

Ruby's Cove B&B was the best indulgent treat I could have set up to celebrate our 50th birthdays with two girlfriends from elementary school. Donna went above & beyond what I anticipated for our girls only weekend. Her home is decorative, inviting, welcoming and wonderfully interesting with whimsical details. Donna's cooking is amazing and delightful....like being spoiled by family. we picked the perfect weekend to get away and enjoy the sights and tastes of Greenport and the nearby wineries. Only a short drive away for us to a place that literally takes your breath away. The joint bedrooms were very accommodating and wonderfully cozy. Cant wait to go back again!!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Also consider these accommodations in or near Greenport
Harborfront Inn at Greenport
The Blue Inn At North Fork
#1 of 1 in East Marion
Cliffside Resort Condominiums
Stirling House Bed and Breakfast

Been to Ruby's Cove Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!