“Best vacation spot on the North Fork”
Review of Sunset Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Greenport
Sunset Motel
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Greenport
Reviewed 30 August 2013

My family and I came back again this year for a great vacation's week at Sunset Motel in Greenport. The accommodation is simple yet comfortable, clean, tasteful and wonderfully located on the sound with easy access to the charming village of Greenport and the nearby wineries. The atmosphere is serene with gorgeous 180 degrees views of the water, a great lawn and a private beach. But above all, what makes us come back every year is the wonderful hospitality of Therese, the motel manager, who makes us feel right at home. She always takes very good care of all our needs and keeps us informed on any new local attractions. We'll be back next year !

1  Thank Alexandre O

Reviewed 26 August 2013

It would not be the same without her. We are very grateful. My wife, kids, sisters, godsons and brothers in law all rented multiple rooms this summer. This has now become an annual trip. The property is amazing. We played a family wiffle-ball on the lawn as other guests cheered as the crowd, we let the kids run around that great space for hours. So many owners miss the boat on space and use as much as of the property to cram rooms in as possible. Not at the sunset. They understand that people need a palate to adventure on and make their own. The great lawn does just this. Now for the beach - wonderful! On the property and totally relaxing. We spent hours there as we eventually prepared for the BBQ we had almost nightly at the BBQ pits overlooking the water. This is a family place. The kitchens allow you to cook and not have to spend hundreds on food - we felt so cozy having huge family meals. The rooms were clean and we would spend hours at night playing board games on the screened in porch. Then, when we decided to venture out - Therese was there to guide us and give us great suggestions with detailed information that made our day trips memorable. This is a very special place to use, and we look forward to next year. Andrew John Tucker (Happy Daddy)

Room Tip: Any of the rooms that run parallel to the ocean.
Reviewed 22 August 2013

I spent few nights in mid-August in Sunset Motel. It was my first trip to Long Island and I enjoyed my stay in this clean well maintained lodging with a great location. Private beach, gorgeous view to the Sound, clean room with screened porch, kitchenette and comfortable bed made my vacation very pleasant.
Special thanks to Therese, she is a great host always available at her desk, friendly and knowledgeable. She provided a lot of information about places to visit, restaurants, and wineries and was just fun to chat to.
I would definitively recommend Sunset Motel to others.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 August 2013

My wife and I were conflicted about writing a review for the Sunset Motel. Not because we did not enjoy our stay, but rather, the positive review (we would inevitably write) might make it more difficult to reserve a room in the future. In the end, our better nature prevailed. We loved our week at the Sunset. Our efficiency suite was quiet, clean and had a gorgeous panoramic view of the Long Island Sound. This is not to mention the incredible service (and thoughtful recommendations) we received from Theresa and the rest of the staff, who seemed to take a personal interest in our having a wonderful vacation. Mission accomplished.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 August 2013

If you want clean, well equipped and well maintained lodging with a price that is most reasonable for the area the Sunset Motel is for you. And the location is on the sound with a private beach and a wonderful view. A real bonus is that you get to meet and interact with Theresa who will provide insight about to places to visit, recommend excellent restaurants, coffee shops and wineries. She is a font of knowledge and a most congenial and helpful host.

Reviewed 5 August 2013

Just spent a week on a little road trip starting in Saratoga Springs, then on to Woodstock VT, on way home to Long Island my wife says I don't feel like unpacking when we get home. So I thought why go home then. I detoured to New London and took the ferry to Orient. While on the Ferry I browsed Tripadvisor and read the reviews of the Sunset Motel. Reading the reviews it seemed too good to be true, so I called and lucked out they had one room available. Upon arrival we were greeted by a fairly plan looking 2 story motel but the grounds were immaculate right down to the water, Checking in we met Therese who could not be more cordial and she gave us advise about the area and restaurants. She went as far as checking the time of sunset and booking us a reservation on the outside deck of a local restaurant so we would be there for the sunset. The 1 BR suite was quite comfortable with an enclosed balcony with wonderful views. I would give 10 if the ratings went that high.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 August 2013

My wife and I spend several nights at the Sunset Motel mid-week early in the summer season and found our host, Therese to be most welcoming, engaging and gracious. Our room's balcony afforded us a quiet space to enjoy viewing Long Island Sound and some beautiful sunsets.
We look forward to our next visit to the North Fork and the Sunset. Wholly recommended.

Room Tip: Second story rooms in the building directly facing Long Island sound have sitting balconies affordin...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Greenport
Sound View Greenport
#1 of 5 in Shelter Island
Heron Suites
Heron Suites
#2 of 3 in Southold

Been to Sunset Motel? Share your experiences!