“Lovely Stay in Main House”
Review of Townsend Manor Inn

Townsend Manor Inn
Ranked #10 of 10 Greenport B&B and Inns
Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania
“Lovely Stay in Main House”
Reviewed 15 May 2014

We stayed over visiting family and really enjoyed the updated room. We chose the king size bed. Compared to the rooms other family stayed in, this was by far the best choice! Spacious room with table and chairs. New carpet and adequate storage for clothes, etc. Very comfortable mattress and clean bedding. Flat screen TV and plenty of natural light. We especially enjoyed the jacuzzi tub in the bathroom. There was quite an array of magazines and maps for travelers less familiar with Greenport as well. Very easy to walk to shopping, resturants, etc. I would reccommend this to a friend. Only con was that the bar was not opening until after our stay.

Room Tip: The cottage rooms are not as nice as the main house. If you are traveling solo or as a couple, go f...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Amy B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Norwood, New Jersey
Reviewed 26 March 2014

Having worked years ago in a historic hotel in a much more remote location than Townsend Manor, I am familiar with the challenges involved in maintaining original character vs. providing modern comforts. The hotel is clean but not terribly comfortable. Usually I take room 25 in the Gingerbread House, which from the exterior is charmingly Victorian and shabby, but the room is always cold, also tiny, making it uncomfortable for trying to work - no table or desk for computer, although wifi works well. The balcony is best if weather permits.

During a stay in January I asked to see another room downstairs in the same house and took a very hard fall onto flag stones due to black ice on the stairs - there was no evidence of salt having been applied. When I reported this to the desk clerk, she didn't even ask if I was all right, much less if I wanted to see a doctor (this particular young woman has consistently been less than cordial). Two months later I still have the lump on my leg where I hit the ground - fortunately, nothing broken. Room 29 downstairs in the Gingerbread House is larger, with a separate living room (a coffee table would be appreciated), kitchenette (door does not close), two queen beds, and room to work. Unfortunately, my second night the heat was not working; I was told by the same desk clerk that the hotel had run out of fuel oil and that someone would come "in 15 minutes" to see to it, but no one showed up. I had to go to bed fully clothed. No concern was shown.

It should be noted that other desk clerks and the owner have been very helpful and friendly; also that the hotel is two star and reasonably priced and clean. However, original historic charm is marred by ugly carpeting, inappropriate furniture, and lack of attention to the basic maintenance issues mentioned above. For my purposes the hotel is adequate, but not recommended for those not willing to rough it a bit. and deal with the unexpected.

Room Tip: Best to check out different rooms to see which suits your needs best, as they vary quite a bit.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank SFR21
NY
Reviewed 15 March 2014

I was here six years ago and again four years ago, each time while with a group for a weekend retreat. I was underwhelmed the last two times I was there, feeling it was very shabby overall. Then I had the chance to return last week (March, 2014) and found the place to be much improved. Bathrooms have been updated both in the common area of the main building and in the room I stayed in, the public areas were all clean and nicely kept and the staff is super nice. Nice toiletry items were found in the clean bathroom. Plentiful fluffy towels. Food was a bit better than mediocre, however the servers were sweet and very hard working, and although the food was a tad uninspired, it was all fresh and plentiful.

I agree with some of the other posters that there are ways further improvements could be made. Some of the buildings are old, and while this is definitely part of the charm here, there could be some re-painting, tightening of door knobs, and the like. I also feel the bedding is old and well-worn, albeit clean. It would be great for the bedding to be upgraded, giving it more of a fresh and new feel and look. Also, there is no wifi in the guest rooms (at least not that I could find) and the cable tv has very limited channels. I would love to see the inn continue along the path of making improvements as they have done in the past few years. It's a bit basic and has further potential.

You won't feel you are staying in a luxurious place here, but it is charming, a bit rustic, well located and the people are really nice. I may return for the group retreat in two years from now and look forward to seeing if they have continued to make further tweaks to a good basic place.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is as updated as possible. I am not sure but I believe that various rooms have...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank bkramer947
Westbury, New York
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Clean and comfortable room and accommodations. Outside needs a paint job and steps outside room are in need of repair. We were next to the pool in an efficiency. It must be a perfect place to stay during the summer if you can afford the price. Past reviews are correct.

We came for the December Shellabration in Greenport. The restaurants serve a piece of shellfish and pair it with half a glass of local wine for $5. We went from restaurant to restaurant and had a good time with friends. I don't think I will be back because it was very crowded and very little food was offered.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Freehold, New Jersey
Reviewed 29 October 2013

First, the good. Nice location in town and clean room. Now, the negatives, which were unfortunately quite a few. This Inn is in serious need of a facelift. There were I believe 2 cottages with rooms. Exterior paint is peeling off the buildings and the wood balconies appear to have not been maintained in at least 10 years. Security was not good, the doors to the cottages were not locked and there was access to the balconies by way of an open staircase. However, the property was well-lit at night. While the room was clean and decent, it contained the bare minimum. There was a nice refrigerator in the closet and a blow dryer (that did not work, however, they provided another one upon request), but I suggest bringing your own soaps and shampoos, as the ones provided were of Dollar Store quality. The pillows were pathetic, but there were some extras in the closet. For a night or two this is fine, so long as you do not expect much. If this Inn were restored to its natural beauty and the rooms modernized, it would be very nice.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Greenport hotels

New York
Reviewed 11 October 2013

We enjoyed our stay at Townsend Manor, very friendly, great location, can walk to town. The room was clean and cozy and the bathroom was updated. The bar was small but very nice and the people were friendly. A few weeks later, the Manager sent a necklace that I thought I had lost, guess I left it in the room. They are very honest and took the time to return my necklace. Looking forward to going back.

Room Tip: We stayed at the Ginger Bread House, it was very nice.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Long Island, NY
Reviewed 23 September 2013 via mobile

We were very trepedatious about staying here because of the reviews but we were more than pleasantly surprised. Check in was smooth, the accommodations were beautifully appointed-the king bed was super comfortable (room 47 in the main house), everything was fantastic even our short time at the bar/restaurant-food was good and service was fast and friendly. Honestly we can't wait to return!

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lisa922
Also consider these accommodations in or near Greenport
Harborfront Inn at Greenport
Shelter Island House
Shelter Island House
#1 of 5 in Shelter Island
Stirling House Bed and Breakfast

Been to Townsend Manor Inn? Share your experiences!