“Good good, poor service”
Review of North Fork Oyster Company - CLOSED

Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Bay Street
Transit: Hampton Jitney, LIRR, Shelter Island North Ferry
Description: Greenport's newest upscale seafood restaurant, North Fork Oyster Company, serves creative cuisine featuring the freshest seafood from the waters surrounding it on the east end of Long Island. The casually elegant space has been completely renovated to include an oyster bar and outdoor patio dining, as well as a wood-burning fireplace for the winter months. Daily specials, local beers and wines, and a seasonal menu featuring the freshest local seafood and produce, create the ultimate North Fork dining experience.
Reviewed 19 August 2013 via mobile

This restaurant is renamed Main.
We had a reservation but when we arrived it took some time to be seated and 2 waiting staff bickered in front of us about where to seat us....unprofessional! 45 min after our reservation time we still hadn't had our order taken. Staff seemed tired, irritable, and fed up. Our waitress as it turned out was pleasant but I would suggest that management need to focus on training the waiting staff. Food was good- though this place is expensive.

Reviewed 29 April 2013

We returned to the North Fork Oyster Company and brought friends, they loved it as much as we did. The oysters were just wonderful and my pasta with seafood was the best ever along with the scallops, duck and the outstanding oyster and shrimp po boy. Wish it was in our neighborhood we'd be regulars.

Reviewed 29 April 2013

we stopped by on sat april 27. judging from other reviews, that day was a terrible experience for almost everyone there. the restaurant was nicely filled, the decor lovely. that's the end of the good things i have to say. we waited an extremely long time for service. there were 4 of us. our friend's beer bottle had tiny pieces of broken glass on the rim. how awful. they replaced it. he is a vegetarian and ordered his dish without the ham. after ages passed and we'd finally gotten our salad, and eaten it, the main dishes finally arrived. his had the ham. much upset. tables to our left and right were also having problems. one complained about the long wait for the food. another sent her dinner back. i will never return
'

1  Thank 24susan
Reviewed 28 April 2013

My husband and I ate there April 27, 2013.

Let me preface this by saying that I was a waitress. I have a lot of patience for wait staff and I know that, sometimes, bad days happen. That was not the case here.

The waitstaff here was the worst staff I have ever encountered. We were seated promptly and then ignored for 10 minutes. Our waitress, Sharon A, came over and asked if we had a waitress yet. We said no and she said she would be our waitress. Great.

She didn't know the specials, we had to ask for the bread basket, she brought the wrong food over to us. That seems to be the way things are done as we made a game of watching the food runners bring the wrong food to wrong people every single time they came out. Every single time. My husband asked about their oyster menu and our waitress couldn't provide info. We listened to the table next to us ask their waitress about the oysters and she couldn't answer either. Considering this establishment is called the North Fork Oyster Company, the waitstaff should have a base knowledge of oysters.

The food was fine. The cornbread in the bread basket was amazing. We ordered calamari for an appetizer. It was fine, nothing special. My husband ordered 1/2 dozen Peconic Bay oysters. They were oystery. For dinner, my husband got the oyster and shrimp po'boy. He said it was good.

I ordered the swordfish. It was described with roasted carrots, sunchokes, baby potatoes and lemon broth. Do you see the word garlic in my description? Well, they neglected to put it in their menu description as well. I pulled 11 whole garlic gloves out of my dish. The swordfish was very dry. It was a pretty inedible dish.

The last thing I heard as we were walking out was a man at his table complaining loudly that he did not get the dish he ordered and that the quality of the restaurant had become non-existant. I cannot speak to the former quality, but I can assert that I would never spend another dollar on this establishment.

Reviewed 28 April 2013

We have gone to this restaurant nearly weekly since it opened. We loved its casually elegant atmosphere and sumptuous food. We haven't gone back since Hurricane Sandy, as we were rebuilding our home. Since it was our anniversary, we thought we'd go back. What a mistake! We immediately sensed something was off when our hostess greeted us. "Do you have a reservation"?, she asked archly. It was 5 pm and there were exactly 4 patrons in the place. No, we didn't. Did we need one? Her demeanor was cold, condescending and generally uninterested. My father ran a food and beverage department at a major hotel for many, many years. I can assure you of her fate had he seen her in action at his place. So what happened to this place we used to find welcoming, warm and such a nice place to relax with friends?

NFOC, we discovered, was recently purchased by Keith Luce. I understand Mr. Luce is quite a chef, but you'd never know it from the quality of product and service we received. Our oysters were tasty, but had some shards of shells in them. The dipping sauce was some godawful concoction that resembled bottled salad dressing. To toast my husband, who isn't drinking because he's on pain killers, I ordered a chenin blanc. I received a CLOUDY glass of wine that was visibly spoiled. Of course, they comped me the wine. Did they have the other wine I requested? No. I settled for a beer. I must state that I expect a chef of this alleged calibre to have a far broader and more palatable array of wines by the glass, or at least demi carafes. This is clearly a transition period, when the restaurant should have remained closed. Sadly, it didn't, and the clueless service, awful food (my husband's fish and chips were soggy and had an aftertaste of old cooking oil..my salad with seared tuna and basil vingraitte was flavorless except for the odd bits of bacon) spoiled our celebration.

We won't be back. You don't deserve another chance if you are this greedy, Mr. Luce. Your customers deserve proper attention to detail, and tasty, fresh food, especially at your price points.