“Very nice B&B”

Stirling House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #4 of 10 Greenport B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 February 2014

We only spent one night but had a very nice time. The view from our room was a very nice view of the water. We were kindly greeted by Clay and offered some yummy baked goods upon our arrival. We were showed to our room which was very nice and clean. Breakfast was very good and we were made to feel at home. We received a coupon flyer for most of the restaurants and wineries in the area. We hope to stay again one day.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
stirlinghouse, Owner at Stirling House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

Hello, and thanks for your review. Your trip advisor rating really helps our business as it used by so many of our guests. We look forward to your next visit
Thanks again!
Clay Sauer, Owner
The Stirling House

Reviewed 3 January 2014

Clay continues to out do himself year after year after year. Great gourmet breakfasts with a funny and warm host. The place has a fun, eclectic feel and the view from the porch and from the Shelter Island room of the harbor is terrific. One of the best features is that it's a 5 minute walk down the street to the center of Greenport Village.

Room Tip: My favorite room is the Shelter Island room but all three rooms have wonderful personality.
1  Thank cnd123
stirlinghouse, Owner at Stirling House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2014

Hi, Thank you so much. It is always so nice to see you. I agree - Greenport is a great place. Looking forward to your next visit. - Clay

Reviewed 2 January 2014

Spent New Year's Eve here and had a great time. Very comfortable and cozy with a nice view of the bay and easy walking distance to downtown Greenport. Clay was a great host and made some great scones and croissants for breakfast. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
stirlinghouse, Owner at Stirling House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2014

Thanks so very much for your review. It was great having you stay over the New Year's holiday. It was a great challenge for me serving breakfast one armed recovering from shoulder surgery. I hope you enjoyed the champagne. I look forward to your next visit. Thanks again.
That was for our guests. Now this is for the rest of you out there, who use tripadvisor. It is 2014, and I am telling it like it is this year. Life is too short. I do need to point out to all trip advisor guests who review things (and I am one of you) that their system is a bit strange. Words, to me, mean everything. Words to trip advisor, however, mean nothing. They go by points...alone. So, for example, if you love the views and location, rate it with the points accordingly. I am always amazed as I read some reviews on this site that don't seem to match words for points. I am adding this as there are no instructions to this rating system, as far as the power/damage it can do to a business. While B&Bs are so far above hotels, trip advisor breaks them off into their own category. This is my opportunity to share valuable information on the system, and how it works...and does not, at times. I suggest doing what I do and read reviews in other review sites to cross reference, and read the unfiltered ones, as well. It may give you a better overall view of a location, area, restaurant, inn, etc. Hope this helps.

Reviewed 3 December 2013

Based on other reviews I read here, I booked our stay here for this past weekend, and boy I was NOT dissapointed! Clay is the consummate host, and greeted us upon arrival. He gave us some good recommendations on things to do, offered to make us dinner reservations, and basically made us feel very welcome! The setting is beautiful, we had the Shelter Island room upstairs, water views from all the windows (water directly across the street). Extremely well decorated, clean as a whistle, plenty of DVD's to chose from, snacks, water, tea, and freshly baked cookies. Clay also had a bottle of wine there that he suggested we help ourselves to, from one of his favorite wineries (Sherwood House). We went there at his suggestion, and it was definitely our favorite winery of the many that we visited! Entertainment there on Sat. afternoon was a nice extra!
Back to the Stirling House, the breakfast Clay puts out is to die for! He first served up a dish of Greek Yogurt with granola, fresh strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, and rasberries, which by itself was a great breakfast! But he then followed up with his infamous 'vertical eggs' I believe they're called, along with superb home fries, and homemade croissants. You can plan on your next meal being dinner, because you won't need lunch after this feast!
Good luck with your upcoming shoulder surgery Clay, and thanks very much for giving us a nice memory of our first visit to the area, certainly not our last!
Mark & Debbie

Room Tip: Shelter Island room upstairs was beautiful, best water views!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
stirlinghouse, Owner at Stirling House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2013

Hi, wow, thank you so much. I really appreciate the kind words. I hope to see you again soon ...and I will have a "brand new" shoulder by then. Happy Holidays
Clay

Reviewed 19 November 2013

About a year or so ago I was doing some research for a great bed and breakfast in the Greenport area. When I found this B&B and read all the great reviews and saw all the great photos, I knew I had to try it!! We got a gift certifcate for the Stirling House and we were finally able to use it this past weekend in November. From the great location in the middle of the Greenport town to the incredible view of Shelter Island and a dock to walk on this house is a MUST!! Clay was just the best!! Breakfast was to die for and it was served on the porch to overlook the water. It turned out to be a beautiful day so it wasnt too cold! We stayed in the Shelter Island room mainly for the view!! The cleanliness of the entire house was definitely up to par! When we checked in there were delicious baked goods for us to try. Clay really made us feel right at home with all the little things he put out for us (the paper, magazines, waters, snacks, coffe, tea, the list can go on and on). He helped us make reservations and booked us with Joann at Vintage Tours (which was one of the best things we had ever done!!). Clay will definitely be seeing alot more of us!! Our trip was pure sucess!!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
stirlinghouse, Owner at Stirling House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2013

Thanks for your review! It was great meeting you, and I look forward to seeing you again soon! Happy Holidays! Clay

Reviewed 19 November 2013

Had a great stay at the Sterling House in November. Clay was helpful in pointing us to the restaurants to go to and getting reservations if needed. Place is very quiet, with a water view on a quiet cul de sac but it's a short 5 minute walk to town. Place was immaculate and breakfast was perfect.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Hi! Thanks so much for your review. I hope to see you again soon. Have a great Holiday season. Clay

Reviewed 13 November 2013

My husband and I had a wonderful stay at Stirling House in early November. What a wonderful time to visit! The house is cozy and inviting, sitting at the end of a quiet cul-de-sac with a terrific view of the water. Our host, Clay was very friendly and helpful with suggestions on places to eat and things to do. Once he had filled us in, he left us to enjoy our time exploring everything Greenport has to offer. Our breakfast was delicious and served in the sunroom with floor to ceiling windows so we could thoroughly enjoy the morning sun.
We can't wait to come back for a longer stay so we can check out more of the fantastic vineyards in the region. We're so glad New Yorkers haven't found this gem quite yet... ;)

Room Tip: We selected a room at the back of the house with a king sized bed. What a wonderful space! However...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Hi, Thank you. It was a pleasure meeting you, and I look forward to seeing you again at Stirling House in 2014! Be well and Happy Holidays!
Clay

Also consider these accommodations in or near Greenport
Sound View Greenport
#1 of 8 in Cutchogue
Fordham House
Fordham House
#1 of 10 in Greenport

Been to Stirling House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!