“wonderful time”

Stirling House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #3 of 10 Greenport B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 August 2009

We just returned from our second stay at the Stirling House. We look forward to our third stay. Clay was very accomodating, never overbearing. The breakfasts were very special and the rooms very very clean and tasteful. We loved Long Island wine country as well. We look forward to returning.

Reviewed 24 August 2009

We had a wonderful stay at Sterling House. The entire place was very clean and updated. Clay made the most delicious breakfasts, the views are wonderful. Clay also provided great insight as to the local things to do and places to eat. the fresh cookies and tarts placed out for us at night were a great touch!

Reviewed 16 August 2009

My husband and I have been going to Greenport for getaway weekends the past four years. This year, my husband read the fabulous reviews for The Stirling House and we were lucky to be able to book the Shelter Island room. The Inn lived up to its fabulous reviews. The Inn was quaint, well decorated and immaculately kept. The Inn has a lovely porch with tables, chairs and a hammock. Our room was beautiful, with a view of the water and Shelter Island, and larger than it appears in the website photos. The Inn is very well located. It is at the end of a quiet block but only a short stroll to the shops and restaurants in town. Clay, the Inkeeper, could not have been nicer or more helpful. He also serves a scrumptious breakfast every morning on the porch. We would highly recommend the Inn to others and would gladly return next year.

Reviewed 1 August 2009

We needed some real rest and relaxation and couldn't have picked a better place.
The owners made it clear that their main concern was our happiness. I only had one pair of shorts, which I managed to get dirty. They were washed an dried in no time. There was a beautiful view of the water from the front porch with lots of and peace and quiet.. We stayed in the French room on the ground floor. Beautifully decorated, with a little sitting room that is separate from the bedroom with a sliding door between them (Great if one of you stays up late and the other doesn't) . Also, the fridge and coffee were right outside our door. The gourmet breakfasts were beautifully presented and delicious. They make the same thing for everybody, so tell them if there is something you don't like to eat. To their credit, they do ask if you have any food allergies.

Reviewed 1 August 2009

What a great B & B. The owner Clay is so accomodating and funny. And what a cook! His breakfasts are not to be missed, multiple courses! The Stirling House is very charming with a great water view. The place is immaculate too. My partner and I had a very romantic stay at the Stirling House. Its also one of the best located B & Bs in Greenport because it's such a short walk to downtown action. Highly Recommended!!!

Reviewed 25 July 2009

We stayed one night in the Stirling House and one night at the Bartlett House because neither place had both nights available. We thought it would be interesting to compare both places anyway since they both sounded very promising.

I would be happy to stay at either place again, they are both lovely. If I absolutely had to make a choice I would give the edge to the Stirling House.

Bartlett House wins on their interiors. It is a beautiful, elegant house with many interesting furnishings and collectibles. The innkeepers could not be nicer. There's a very large porch but it's right off the main road so it can not be as restful as you would want which brings us to why Stirling House gets the edge.

The Stirling House is on a quiet cul-de-sac and overlooks the water. It is wonderfully restful. We hung out on the porch, read, ate, chatted up a lovely couple staying there. It was peaceful. Plus Frank who was filling in for Clay gave us a tasting of a Castello de Borghese Riesling that we all loved. We went to that vineyard the next day because of that tasting. We stayed in the Shelter Island Room on the 2nd floor that has a view of the water and we would stay there again.

My only two quibbles with the Stirling House, and they're very slight, is to please put out a cup for brushing your teeth (my husband had to put his pants back on and go downstairs to the public coffee area to grab a plastic cup) and that for $300 a night please throw in some hair conditioner. This was the only time I didn't bring along because almost every place provides it and this time it wasn't there. These are very, very small complaints and the rest of the experience was completely fine.

I also want to say that even though I'm from Brooklyn we have never really been out to the North Folk of Long Island and it's great! It's Cape Cody enough for me without the 6 hour drive. There's the water, the vineyards, farm stands, garden centers galore and great restaurants. The Frisky Oyster was as good as everyone said and there's plenty of great local places to grab a beer and hit the raw bar.

We definitely plan on more little getaways to the North Folk and either one of these B&Bs are great to stay at.

1  Thank vicchickBrooklyn
Reviewed 23 July 2009

I've just returned from a quick overnight break at the Stirling HOuse, which I strongly recommend to anyone heading to Greenport. The Inn is brilliantly located at the end of a quiet street, at the water's edge. (I could see the water from the window of my room).. I had arrived by train, and the Inn was an easy 10 minute walk from the train station, and an easy walk to all the village has to offer. The other guests with whom I chatted at breakfast were every bit as charmed and enthusiastic as I was with the Innkeeper's hospitality (always friendly and available but not intrusive), the physical layout if the Inn, and the spectacular gourmet breakfast. I couldn't have been more pleased, and am already looking forward to a return visit.

Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Greenport
Sound View Greenport
American Beech
American Beech
#9 of 10 in Greenport
Arbor View House Bed & Breakfast

Been to Stirling House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!