I don't think there is much middle ground here. You're either going to accept the way it looks or not. It is not something you will get used to.
Aesthetically, it is the same as the day it was built, albeit older and in a more worn condition. We stayed in the motel and found it to be o.k. The floor tile was very interesting as was the pink color of the bathroom. Very 50's. The bed and room was comfortable and was separated from the front by a sliding door (which didn't work). Breakfast of muffins ,cereal, and bananas were provided. Which was a nice gesture (along with the milk). The staff is very pleasant and were accommodating to our questions and check in procedure. We had to be patient though because they gave the previous guests in our room a late check out and then they still wouldn't leave. This I found interesting though. While waiting in their lounge, I noticed they don't stay at the front desk but remove themselves through a door just behind the counter. On the other side of this door, I could see a disheveled bed, as if they come out, talk to you, then go back in for a nap.
But that is the way this motel is. For some, the Silver Sands will be questionable. Why don't they clean thoroughly, update the furnishings, etc. but it seems to me to be a family run business trying to keep up. There are a lot of cottages as well as the motel to keep up with.
For the pool, we found it too far a way and set within the woods too deeply to want to spend time there.
The reason I feel it attracts so many visitors is that it is really right on the water with a nice beach access. For small kids, this is a great location. The sand is soft and the water is not to rough.
For Kayaking, they do not have any rentals there, you must coordinate with another company who will meet you at the motel or another chosen location.
The town of Greenport is a short drive from the motel and is a very pleasant walk around area. Definitely worth seeing. The kids will love the newly renovated boardwalk area with a nice modern carousel.
This motel was booked heavy the time we were there. Regardless of the reviews you read, good or bad, they are still going to be there doing what they do the best they can. If you want super clean new and updated rooms, you need to look elsewhere, but know that you won't find another place in the area with a beach front like this. For some, that will be o.k. There are only so many choices in and around Greenport, most in newer condition. And all with good and bad reviews.
Be wary of reviews that say this motel is a 4 or 5 star review. It is a 2 star motel, nothing more and nothing less. The staff are great, it is the cheapest you will find, and it has a nice sandy beach.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- "DIRTY DANCING meets THE FLAMINGO KID" - NEW YORK MAGAZINE, April 2007The Silver Sands Motel and Beach Cottages was established in 1961 on 40 unspoiled acres on Peconic Bay in Greenport, facing Shelter Island. We are a quiet getaway for beach and nature lovers, and their families, and have been for generations. Our rooms and cottages all have microwaves, mini-fridges, television, AC, and some have efficiency units as well as full kitchens. We are set off the beaten-path in Greenport, down a wooded road on the beach and are adjacent to 18 acres of pristine wetlands. Over the last half-century, we have been host to families, couples, studio film shoots, major fashion shoots, and have been featured in the NEW YORK TIMES, NEW YORK MAGAZINE, THE NEW YORKER, TIME-OUT, TRAVEL & LEISURE, and NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC TRAVEL MAGAZINE. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Silver Sands Motel & Beach Cottages Hotel Greenport
- Silver Sands Motel And Beach Cottages
- Silver Sands Hotel Beach
- Silver Sands Motel & Beach Cottages Greenport, NY - Long Island