I booked my summer trip on very short notice so I did not have many lodging options available. I expected the hotel to be retro and a little shabby chic. It was a little more shabby. The rooms were clean and beds were comfortable. The beach location is great as is proximity to downtown Greenport, but this hotel really needs some updating. Tile floor in the main part of the room and bathroom were loose. Multiple tiles stuck to the bottom of my foot and ended up halfway across the room. Bathroom sinks are so small and old. The faucets automatically turn off when you let go of the knob which made washing my face nearly impossible. Water pressure in the shower was non-existent. Towels were so thin I ended up using the beach towel I brought from home instead. Room was left unlocked and door adjar by the cleaning staff one day. I had a pretty good idea what I was getting into and was willing to accept that based on when I finally booked my trip, but I would be unable to recommend this to anyone because while the owners seem to put priority on keeping the rooms clean, they do not see the need to maintain, repair or replace anything around the property which makes me wonder what kind of state the hotel will continue to slide into.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- "DIRTY DANCING meets THE FLAMINGO KID" - NEW YORK MAGAZINE, April 2007The Silver Sands Motel and Beach Cottages was established in 1961 on 40 unspoiled acres on Peconic Bay in Greenport, facing Shelter Island. We are a quiet getaway for beach and nature lovers, and their families, and have been for generations. Our rooms and cottages all have microwaves, mini-fridges, television, AC, and some have efficiency units as well as full kitchens. We are set off the beaten-path in Greenport, down a wooded road on the beach and are adjacent to 18 acres of pristine wetlands. Over the last half-century, we have been host to families, couples, studio film shoots, major fashion shoots, and have been featured in the NEW YORK TIMES, NEW YORK MAGAZINE, THE NEW YORKER, TIME-OUT, TRAVEL & LEISURE, and NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC TRAVEL MAGAZINE. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Silver Sands Motel & Beach Cottages Hotel Greenport
- Silver Sands Motel And Beach Cottages
- Silver Sands Hotel Beach
- Silver Sands Motel & Beach Cottages Greenport, NY - Long Island