“location is great...”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Greenport
Silver Sands Motel & Beach Cottages
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Greenport
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I booked my summer trip on very short notice so I did not have many lodging options available. I expected the hotel to be retro and a little shabby chic. It was a little more shabby. The rooms were clean and beds were comfortable. The beach location is great as is proximity to downtown Greenport, but this hotel really needs some updating. Tile floor in the main part of the room and bathroom were loose. Multiple tiles stuck to the bottom of my foot and ended up halfway across the room. Bathroom sinks are so small and old. The faucets automatically turn off when you let go of the knob which made washing my face nearly impossible. Water pressure in the shower was non-existent. Towels were so thin I ended up using the beach towel I brought from home instead. Room was left unlocked and door adjar by the cleaning staff one day. I had a pretty good idea what I was getting into and was willing to accept that based on when I finally booked my trip, but I would be unable to recommend this to anyone because while the owners seem to put priority on keeping the rooms clean, they do not see the need to maintain, repair or replace anything around the property which makes me wonder what kind of state the hotel will continue to slide into.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank MKETraveler710

Reviewed 25 July 2014

Location, location, location. This place is right on the beach. The owner, Terrie, couldn't be more accommodating. The place is run down but it is also dirt cheap!! It was quiet. The room smelled moldy but we left the windows open and went out to dinner and it was fine by the time we got back. Its a great place for families with young kids.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Thomas R
Reviewed 14 July 2014

A couple friends and I stayed here for the midweek special in June and The Silver Sands retro motel feel completely charmed us. I loved the neon sign out front! The rooms look like they were transported from the 50's (in a good way). The pink tiles in the bathroom needed repair, but otherwise everything was clean and comfortable. And the private beach area is the perfect place to relax.

The owner, Terry, was great and very accomodating. He immediately made us feel right at home and gave us some great suggestions of what to do in the area. We were close to downtown Greenport, wineries, restaurants, shops. etc. I would definitely recommend this classic gem to friends and hope to return on my next trip to the North Fork.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Kelsey S
Reviewed 30 June 2014

My partner and I and her family have been holidaying here for the last couple of years, we love the design and family friendly atmosphere. It's a great base to enjoy greenport and to get over to shelter island. In season and out it fells like you are living the classic American movie. I cannot recommend silver sand enough it manages the unusual combination of stepping back in time while being clean and friendly.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Proclaiming the Silver Sands Motel & Beach Cottages as my preferred lodging in Greenport might be a lofty statement after only one visit. However, that’s all it took for me to fall in love with this rustic gem located in the North Fork of Long Island.

Situated less than five minutes outside Greenport, the Motel offers a swimming pool and a private beach as amenities. I initially booked double beds in the Motel but the front desk attendant, Terry, offered us a cottage instead. Don’t expect lavish lodging but what you can expect is a comfortable and clean little bungalow with a living room, a bedroom and a small kitchen. Outside the cottage where I bunked for three nights, was a grill for barbecuing, lounge chairs for, well, you know, lounging, and a park bench for gathering with friends.

What I most enjoyed about the Motel is the warmth of the staff. Everyone is extremely affable and helpful. Each morning I was met outside by a smiling woman who would drop off continental breakfast items. The views of Shelter Island from the Motel are unobstructed and jaw-dropping. If you’re looking for a romantic getaway, or a crash spot to explore the North Fork, I highly recommend the Silver Sands Motel & Beach Cottages for its bucolic setting and genial staff.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank limajt91279
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Stayed there one night during our trip over Long Island. The main building is built in a U shape with the opening to the private beach. We could unfortunately not go there as the weather did not permit it. The rooms are spacious and have a retro charm, dating back to the 50s. It is nice to have a sleeping area and a separate living room space. Everything is old, very old but seems clean. There is even a breakfast (fruits, cereals, muffins, milk, coffee) provided. The hotel is 5 minutes drive from Greenport, with its bars and restaurants. The only negative point is the bathroom that could use some refurbishing, indeed the shower cabin was broken and it looked like they fixed it with concrete... But that's only a detail, for the rest all very good for the price we paid. A good cheap way to discover the Greenport area.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Joachim K
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Girls weekend, comfy, cozy and convenient! Beautiful beach location, comfortable beds, large room, great view of the Peconic Bay, easy and short drive to Greenport, quiet and perfect for friends, couples or families. Will return this season. Very affordable and lovely staff.

Room Tip: Ask for waterfront