“Great place to relax”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Greenport
Silver Sands Motel & Beach Cottages
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Greenport
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Silver Sands is a retro relaxation location. It may not be up to date design wise, but it's what we need in this rush of a world. They have motel rooms and cottages. A private beach with lounge chairs and a pool. Within walking distance to downtown Greenport. A short drive to Orient, the Shelter Island ferry and a great location for the North Fork Wine Trail. Located on the Peconic bay, the views are fantastic at all times during the day and night. About 40 minutes from Riverhead and the outlets gives you a place to go if it rains. Downtown Greenport has shopping, dining, a carousel and boat/kyack rentals.
We stayed in a cottage a few times over the last 5 years. These have a kitchette, a bedroom and a couple single beds for the kids. Everything that we need is in there. We don't eat out much so we bought groceries. We did not have a problem cooking what we needed. My daughter had a great time playing in the bay, the pool, on the sand, collecting shells.
The staff is beyond friendly. Always making sure your stay is up to expectations.
If you're looking for Posh expensive modern hotel to work while you're on vacation this may not be the place for you. This is the place you come to enjoy the water, the views and get away from everything for a little bit.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank grevious7626

Reviewed 20 August 2014

I stayed for 3 nights at Silver Sands to celebrate my engagement to my fiancee. I could not have asked for a more serene, low-key and wonderful experience. Rooms are clean and spacious, you get extra space to hang out, separate from the sleeping area. Slept through the night, which I rarely do in the city, soft bed and warm bedding. Sand right outside my door, so we drank our morning coffee and had the muffins, juices and cereal provided first thing in the morning while looking at the soft waves a few feet away. Greenport proper is a pleasant, short walk away and the weather was great for a stroll. The owner is always available to accommodate any requests, he gave us great recommendations for places to eat and directions to Orient, to watch the sunset. I have visited the area in the past at different times of year and you really get a completely different place-beautifully melancholic in October, great for sitting in and writing in January. My fiancee was blown away and is begging me to go back again. I would recommend this place for any time of year stay, any occasion.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Evienia
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Couldn't have been more pleased with this resort. Not fancy but wonderful location and accommodations were adequate,clean and added to the relaxed feeling I wanted for my vacation. The staff were friendly, professional and always friendly and went out of their way to may my stay wonderful. I really enjoyed the breakfast tray they provided it was just what I needed and very special. The beach was fantastic, pool too. You are so close to the Greenport Main Street that you could shop till you drop, try a different restaurant every night,enjoy concerts and not a far drive to all the local vineyards. I will return many times I am sure.

Room Tip: ask Terry or Jean what they would recommend based on your needs and they will help you decide
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank gypsyfromflorida
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Terry and Family have been friendly, accommodating and wonderful these 9 years we've visited. From a two week stay to one year just a weekend, it's been a delight for us. My now 12 and 10 year olds have grown up on the beach and in the pool. It's a real traditional holiday for us. Beach, pool and BBQing every night. Even on a rainy day we still love it. Fresh air, great views, the calmness of the Bay and the closeness to the fish market and shops. Definitely coming back for our 10th year in 2015!

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank jolambchop
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I have been staying at Silver Sands for over 10 years now. I usually stay with family for a week in the summer, but also have stayed with friends, both on and off season. I make sure to book my summer trip and and trips around holiday weekends very early (months in advance) so I don't lose out - I recommend you do the same. I don't need to "shop around" for a place because I KNOW this is where I want to stay, so booking early is not an issue. So why Silver Sands? This place is a hidden gem! They have the most beautiful private beach overlooking Shelter Island - the views are breathtaking. The owners are lovely - very polite and generous and go out of their way to make sure your stay is the best it can be. If you are looking for a great place to relax, unwind and enjoy the beach in a completely laid-back, non-stuffy environment, this is the place for you! Silver Sands is super unique too, in that there are many different lodging choices depending on your needs. They have medium and large sized motel rooms, private cottages and several other small cottage-like homes on the property. It can comfortably accommodate just a party of one or a larger group of people traveling together. Lots of choices. Thought the years I have met many nice families and couples staying the same week. I can't say enough about how much I love it here! So many fun memories and enjoyable times. For something fun and different, check out Silver Sand's Facebook page. Recently several professional photographers from fashion magazines have done their shoots here. It brings an even cooler perspective to the property. I highly recommend Silver Sands!

Room Tip: Speak to the owners and they will direct you to the best room/cottage based on your specific needs/a...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Colzie631
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I booked my summer trip on very short notice so I did not have many lodging options available. I expected the hotel to be retro and a little shabby chic. It was a little more shabby. The rooms were clean and beds were comfortable. The beach location is great as is proximity to downtown Greenport, but this hotel really needs some updating. Tile floor in the main part of the room and bathroom were loose. Multiple tiles stuck to the bottom of my foot and ended up halfway across the room. Bathroom sinks are so small and old. The faucets automatically turn off when you let go of the knob which made washing my face nearly impossible. Water pressure in the shower was non-existent. Towels were so thin I ended up using the beach towel I brought from home instead. Room was left unlocked and door adjar by the cleaning staff one day. I had a pretty good idea what I was getting into and was willing to accept that based on when I finally booked my trip, but I would be unable to recommend this to anyone because while the owners seem to put priority on keeping the rooms clean, they do not see the need to maintain, repair or replace anything around the property which makes me wonder what kind of state the hotel will continue to slide into.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank MKETraveler710
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Location, location, location. This place is right on the beach. The owner, Terrie, couldn't be more accommodating. The place is run down but it is also dirt cheap!! It was quiet. The room smelled moldy but we left the windows open and went out to dinner and it was fine by the time we got back. Its a great place for families with young kids.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Thomas R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Greenport
Sound View Greenport
#1 of 5 in Shelter Island
Baron's Cove
Baron's Cove
#1 of 5 in Sag Harbor

Been to Silver Sands Motel & Beach Cottages? Share your experiences!