“Huge Winner”

Ranked #14 of 71 Restaurants in Greenport
Price range: US$10 - US$42
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Opened in 2012, First and South is a relaxed atmosphere with quality fare, drinks, craft beer & wine! A well-rounded view of what the North Fork environment has to offer.
Reviewed 30 June 2014

First and South is a delightful restaurant. They offer the freshest local fish, seafood and meat, all and served Farm to table. The menu ranges from sophisticated dishes to simple but superbly made burgers; meat or vegetarian. On recent visits we had the best ever clam chowder(sorry Claudio's, it's not even close) and local flash fried calamari as appetizers. The fish du jour (always local and seasonal) were all inventively prepared with often "surprising" local veggies, and the mainstay duck was remarkable. The wine list is excellent, as is the service led by Sarah who couldn't be nicer. Seating is lovely both inside and out, and the bar is fun offering a great menu of smaller bites from the same great kitchen.

Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

my husband and I ate there tonight for the first time. We walk in to the restaurant and choose a table to sit inside only to find there is a freaking dog in the bar. Not a service dog...some persons pet who preceded to bark during the first part of our meal. While this was happening the manager was spead out at a table near us with computers discussing staffing with the waiters. When I ask for bread for my year old son the tell me they don't serve bread but will look for something. They bring him a slightly stale pice of white bread. My husband ordered bbq wings and what came were herb dusted dry wings. I ordered asparagus that were practically raw. The did take these off the bill. But my burger was served in a paper basket and was dry. We had to pay extra for fries but they only gave us one paper napkin for the whole meal, and never once offered us anything. I had to ask for each drink. All this at the fine dinning price. Ridiculous. We will never go back there again.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

My wife and I went for dinner early on Saturday night. The staff gave us a great table outside with room for our double stroller (the kids slept). We've been meaning to come here for quite some time but never made it for whatever reason. I truly regret this failure. The food was excellent. All the flavors were bold and clean. We loved the calamari - not greasy and with a nice smoky sauce. The cod chowder was excellent as well. Main course was wonderful too - blackened blowfish. Staff was very attentive and pleasant. After a bunch of disappointing experiences in greenport, I must say this this restaurant reminded us of how good dining on the north fork can be when done properly. We'll be back... often.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

We had a lovely spring brunch outside at First and South. My companions liked the bean burger. I had the bacon and eggs. The fries are very fried and tasty. I would recommend some mayo with the fries instead of the home-made ketchup. We have not been there for dinner.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Food, drink, atmosphere, service - this place is the best. The menu is unusual, don't let it deter you. Inquire about the ingredients - they are sure to surprise you. The bar and restaurant and outdoor areas are comfortable, cozy, and just plain perfect for all seasons. It's become a Greenport favorite!