“Dissapointing”

Ranked #16 of 71 Restaurants in Greenport
Price range: US$10 - US$42
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Opened in 2012, First and South is a relaxed atmosphere with quality fare, drinks, craft beer & wine! A well-rounded view of what the North Fork environment has to offer.
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Nice looking place,we stopped for dinner on a wine tasting trip to Long Island.Menu looked
interesting appetizer was ok if a little small.We all ordered some sort of burger and a side of veggies.The burgers took forever to come out and were served on paper plates!!! We were
embarrassed as we had brought friends from Switzerland to dine with us .The veggies came out after we were finished so we sent them back!You would expect paper plates for a burger on the ferry but not a $20 burger in a nice restaurant.Also the server put them down without checking who ordered rare etc.I haven't felt this ripped off in quite a while.A $175 dinner on paper plates!

Reviewed 25 July 2014

Grabbed a drink here with my husband while waiting for friends. The bartender was very friendly and knowledgeable. We each started with a beer she suggested. Ended up getting fries to snack on, yummy! I wasn't crazy about their homemade ketchup, it tasted more like marinara sauce to me. Then we each had a cocktail made by the manager (I think). They were both interesting and delicious.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

First and South is a delightful restaurant. They offer the freshest local fish, seafood and meat, all and served Farm to table. The menu ranges from sophisticated dishes to simple but superbly made burgers; meat or vegetarian. On recent visits we had the best ever clam chowder(sorry Claudio's, it's not even close) and local flash fried calamari as appetizers. The fish du jour (always local and seasonal) were all inventively prepared with often "surprising" local veggies, and the mainstay duck was remarkable. The wine list is excellent, as is the service led by Sarah who couldn't be nicer. Seating is lovely both inside and out, and the bar is fun offering a great menu of smaller bites from the same great kitchen.

Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

my husband and I ate there tonight for the first time. We walk in to the restaurant and choose a table to sit inside only to find there is a freaking dog in the bar. Not a service dog...some persons pet who preceded to bark during the first part of our meal. While this was happening the manager was spead out at a table near us with computers discussing staffing with the waiters. When I ask for bread for my year old son the tell me they don't serve bread but will look for something. They bring him a slightly stale pice of white bread. My husband ordered bbq wings and what came were herb dusted dry wings. I ordered asparagus that were practically raw. The did take these off the bill. But my burger was served in a paper basket and was dry. We had to pay extra for fries but they only gave us one paper napkin for the whole meal, and never once offered us anything. I had to ask for each drink. All this at the fine dinning price. Ridiculous. We will never go back there again.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

My wife and I went for dinner early on Saturday night. The staff gave us a great table outside with room for our double stroller (the kids slept). We've been meaning to come here for quite some time but never made it for whatever reason. I truly regret this failure. The food was excellent. All the flavors were bold and clean. We loved the calamari - not greasy and with a nice smoky sauce. The cod chowder was excellent as well. Main course was wonderful too - blackened blowfish. Staff was very attentive and pleasant. After a bunch of disappointing experiences in greenport, I must say this this restaurant reminded us of how good dining on the north fork can be when done properly. We'll be back... often.