“Decent - Could be GREAT”

Skipper's Restaurant
Ranked #42 of 67 Restaurants in Greenport
Orient, NY
“Decent - Could be GREAT”
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Scary exterior suggests salty alcoholics slumped over the bar smoking Camel no-filters, Reality is that its akid-friendly reatsurant bar with bizarre-o cheap maritime artwork in the dining room, which looks awful, and historic sports news clippings and photos in the bar- which is so cool. Get rid of the crappy art prints and nasty plants and the whole experience could be a lot better.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank FishermanMike

Queens, NY
“Really really poor”
Reviewed 13 June 2013

My wife and I would always pass by this place and see the parking lot packed, so I was convinced that it was a really good old-fashioned type restaurant (think outdated interior/design but friendly service and great homemade food). I always wanted to go, but the looks always scared her off. Well, we finally went in early spring. I was DEAD WRONG. This place was truly poor all around. The food was bad. Poorly breaded fried fish. Soggy fries. Flavorless burger. Stale bread. The service was below average -- not really friendly or professional. The room was outdated, as expected. And the prices was WAY too expensive. I really wanted to like this place (I love O'Mallys (similar type vibe) but this Skippers much closer to our home) Lesson learned - sometimes you can judge a book by its cover.

2 Thank NR14
New Hampshire
“Excellent first stop after the ferry”
Reviewed 12 April 2013 via mobile

Robin couldn't have been a better server! She explained the food perfectly and the chicken salad made fresh to order was delish! Such a treat!!!!

New York City, New York
“Appalling”
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Way overpriced and the food is terrible. The "dill sauce" on the cod was revolting. The bread was like cardboard, and the iceberg lettuce salad utterly tasteless. The only saving grace is the New England clam chowder. Other than that, awful, awful food at sky-high prices.

1 Thank kitkat777
Greenport, New York
“Big Disappointment”
Reviewed 18 October 2012

Wow! I had dinner here with friends a few weeks ago and what a disappointment! The food was mediocre and the service, while our server was very nice, she never came back to our table after we were served our food to ask if we needed anything else or to see if the food was all right. In addition, apparently a family member of the owner likes to be cruel to animals. As my friends and I entered the restaurant, there was a beautiful Black Lab sitting outside the entrance, wanting to come into the restaurant. He looked under-nourished and looked like he had not eaten in weeks. My friends and I thought the dog was a stray. He was not tied up, did not have a collar except for a bandana around his neck and was crying. It turns out that a family member who was sitting at the bar was bragging about how his dog is outside waiting for him and will wait as long as it takes until he leaves. It was the first cold night of the year, the dogs owner was inside and warm and eating his dinner at the bar, while his dog sat outside in the cold starving, untied with the possibility of being his being hit by a car or stolen. Because of the neglect and cruelty of this, I will never go back, lousy service and food aside.

• Visited October 2012