“Great meal”

Cross street: Front Street
Stony Brook, New York
“Great meal”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

I'l be honest, we went to Scrimshaw only after failing to score a reservation at numerous other restaurants in Greenport. Boy, were we pleasantly surprised. The bartender made some great drinks; and we all (four of us) had great meals (fish, steak).
We sat outside, and the weather was almost as perfect as the meal.
Don't be scared of trying this place.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank rtbsb

nys
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Although the staff was polite and friendly, the service was slow and the food was disappointing. My husband had a salad for an appetizer, which was just lettuce and one cherry tomato for $12 and the stripped sea bass with vegetables, which was fishy and slightly over-cooked for $38. I had filet mignon and vegetables, which were cooked to perfect medium rare, but the wine reduction was bitter and the outside of the meat was so charred that I had to cut it off because it added to the bitterness. We skipped dessert , needless to say. The bill came to $103, no alcohol, no dessert and only one appetizer. Not worth the money. The atmosphere is just ok, so not worth going to the restaurant for the view.

• Visited August 2014
New York City, New York
“Excellent”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Not a bad thing to say. Excellent experience and food. Service was a tad slow but it's a good place to slow the pace anyway.

Visited July 2014
2 Thank Mld747
Amityville, New York
“"DISAPPOINTING"”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Yesterday my husband and I had lunch at Scrimshaw. I was looking forward to the delicious Cobb salad which I enjoyed on my first visit last summer. The waitress informed me that they did not have the ingredients and the salad would be available later. I ordered the Bowl of Mussels in Wine Sauce. The portion was very small, the mussels were tiny, and the wine sauce had no flavor. My husband had a hamburger which was good. The best part of the meal was the appetizer of steamed Cantonese dumplings, however, there was only 6 dumplings for $16.00. The service was not good as the waitress never returned to the table to ask how the food was or see if we needed anything else. I guess you are paying for the beautiful view of the harbor because it certainly is not the food or service.

• Visited July 2014
Flushing, New York
“Double Yum!!”
Reviewed 25 June 2014

My husband and I were vacationing in Greenport last week and had the pleasure of dining at Scrimshaw two nights in a row-- it was THAT GOOD. We arrived at the beginning of the dinner service and were seated by the charming hostess Jess. The service and food were impeccable, and we had the chance to chat for a bit with Chef Rosa Ross when she visited our table at the end of our meal.
The first night, my husband started with the chowder and had the butter-poached lobster tails-- both DIVINE. I had the oysters and the Hong Kong Bouillabaise, a symphony of amazing flavors and textures, We finished with desserts, liqueuers, and espresso-- a perfect meal, perfectly served, in a lovely setting. We enjoyed it so much, we made a reservation for the following night before we left.
The second night, I started with the Duck Spring Rolls, which are TOTALLY amazing. The play of the silky texture of the duck confit against the crispy wrapping, and the tomato, and the napa cabbage-- it was ART!! When the plate came, I looked at it, looked at my husband and quipped, "At Noah's, this would be an entree." It was a very generous appetizer, in every sense of the word. My husband can't seem to leave the chowder behind (he has it whenever we eat there). He had the Strip Steak special and I had the Crescent Farms Duck Breast. Both were extraordinary. The quality of the ingredients Chef Rosa employs, and the artistry with which she puts them together, and the nice-sized portions make Scrimshaw a better value for our tastes than either Noah's or Frisky Oyster.
I want to go back to Scrimshaw and do it all over again. Both evenings provided lovely memories of this latest stay in Greenport.

• Visited June 2014