“Room with a beach view”

Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Greenport
New York City, New York
“Room with a beach view”
Reviewed 12 July 2012

Car parked in front of door, private beach right outside the room, great views, friendly, helpful staff and a decent cup of coffee and continental breakfast in the morning...just what the doctor ordered for a short stay in Greenport. Had lovely lunch in adjoining restaurant too. Also, the various special discounts on offer gave us the incentive to stay an extra night and makes us want to come back again soon.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Maria B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Huntington, New York, United States
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Sound View Inn is the perfect beach resort 5 minutes from everything. The rooms were clean and the view with the breeze from the sound was quite relaxing. Kid friendly with a beautiful pool. Since we let them know we were booking multiple rooms with family they roomed us next door to each other. We stayed on the beach well into the night and no one said a word. It was great.
There's a small gym with updated equipment which was more than adequate.
This Inn is not very fancy but if you frequent the area, it's perfect.
We will definitely revisit.

Room Tip: Each suits has a full size private balcony on the beach. It's worth the extra $$
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Jacqueline J
Greenlawn, New York
Reviewed 9 July 2012

We have been frequenting southold/greenport for 30+ years. Over the last 5 years I went with my family for the 4th of July weekend. This was the first time we stayed at the soundview inn and it was perfect! My sister, myself and my sister in laws booked rooms next door to each other. Clean rooms, private entrances to your room and the beach, balcony with table and chaise lounges, I stayed in a 11/2 room suite and it slept the 4 of us comfortably. We had a terrific time and highly reccomend the SVI. I have found my home for our annual trip! The assistant manager Betty was helpful and welcoming, I look forward my next trip!
M.Sasso

Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank mlsasso
Valley Stream, New York
Reviewed 8 July 2012

The Sound View Inn is a great place to stay. It has a beautiful private beach and the staff is warm and welcoming. It is also close enough to all points of interest. I would stay here again in the future.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask the front desk when you call which room they recommend for the size and purpose of yo...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank CrownDV
Reviewed 4 July 2012

When I booked this room I was told that it would be a 2 1/2 room when I got here I got a 1 1/2 room.. When i complained i was told that i could have that room but id have to cut my stay a few days short..I stayed with 4 adults 2 had to sleep on an old run down dirty pull out couch that was covered with urine stains (not comfortable) & the other 2 adults slept on two twin beds that were pushed together - I also, was givin a room without a stove.. The bathroom is the filthiest thing about this place.. There holes in the ceiling, the walls are practically rotting, & the toilets look like public restroom toilets.. I do not even feel comfortable being barefoot in there, I'm not kidding! Yes, the doors are new but honestly what do the guests get out of a new door? What about new blankets, new bathrooms? They offer breakfast but don't even try to bring it back to your room because the 'manager' is like a Sargent & won't let you even take a muffin or a cup of yogurt.. Everything has to be eaten in the shoebox size breakfast room! When new people checked in the room next to us they complained that there were pillows missing & I was on the beach & overheard the 'manager' tell the guests that the people next to them (pointing to my room) took it - so not only did I get a gross room here. I was accused of stealing!! I dont have only bad things to say so i will say that - The pool area & the view of the sunset is the only nice thing about this place - but its def. Not worth $280/ a night!

• Stayed June 2012
5 Thank Sweetie5o6
New York City, New York
Reviewed 3 July 2012

I almost never take pen to hand - or actually fingers to keyboard - but I just had to share this weekend with you. I must start by saying that I am a Director of Hospitality for a very large company - so I am always interested - in seeing the interaction of staff and guests. My friend and I arrived in the late afternoon, at first it looks like a large motel. We checked in and went to our room. The room was very dated - but we didn't care - we were expecting a beachy sort of place - no frills. But then we opened the back door - and there was the sea ! Beautiful absolutely beautiful. Just the view and we were happy. Now this is where it all goes wrong. In the morning we go to their little reception room for what they call "A contintental Breakfast" if you call a few stale buns a breakfast - Hey Soundview go for a few Hardboil eggs at $300.00 a night.
So while we were there, a man came into the room and toasted an English Muffin - wraps it up in a napkin and prepares to leave, the staff person jumps in from of him blocking the exit door (honestly you can't make things up like this) and tells him he cannot leave with the English Muffin! He explains that his wife is nursing their 5 week old baby in the room, feels light headed and needs something to eat - she says I don't care - this english muffin does not leave the room - at this point I personally would have reacted different - but he being a gentleman hands her back the muffin and leaves - at which point she announce to us all - ha I stood my ground!!!!! What ground - if she worked for me she would have been out the door immediately.

The same women tells this other couple who checked in at 10:30 the night before - they got lost because the address on the web side for the Inn was wrong - that they still had to check out at 12 noon today. They said fine - we just would like to stay and use the pool - the place was half full - she then tells them - no - they can only stay one hour after check out - are you kidding me. I never in all my years - experienced such unmitigated rudeness - while we were there talking to other people 8 people in total said nice place - but would never come back just because of the meaness of the staff!!!!

Honestly folks - there are plenty of small inns , hotels and motels out in Long Island - run don't walk past this one!

Jerene Murphy

Room Tip: Its all about the view - the rooms only look good with the lights out :)
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
8 Thank Choosy45
Staten Island
Reviewed 22 June 2012

We had an unbelievable time at the Sound View. Those people who are used to a Marriott or Hilton might find the rustic-ness of the Sound View a little jarring at first, but the room was perfectly functional and our 1 1/2 room suite had many thoughtful touches I've never seen in a hotel -- a kitchenette that was fully equipped with a toaster, dishes and silverware, even salt and pepper. We were mere feet from the Long Island Sound and had an unobstructed view from everywhere in the room. The private balcony (a feature I don't believe you get with the smaller rooms) was just wonderful. The service was first rate -- we were pleased that on a hot day, we came back to our room and the A/C was turned on. About the only things that were missing were a modern TV and working internet connection, but we didn't go to use the internet, so I didn't press the issue. There was noise from the highway behind us, but we closed the windows facing the highway and opened the doors facing the Sound -- problem solved. The Sound View is close to everything and was a very charming, romantic place that we'd definitely stay at again.

Room Tip: The 1 1/2 room suite was a wonderful upgrade for a relatively small extra cost. It was worth it just...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank HerbLehman
Also consider these accommodations in or near Greenport
Cliffside Resort Condominiums
#2 of 3 in Southold
Shelter Island House
Shelter Island House
#1 of 5 in Shelter Island

Been to Sound View Greenport? Share your experiences!