“Pretty and Relaxing”

Sound View Greenport
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Greenport
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Very pretty surroundings. Rooms, nothing special, but clean. Nice outside deck overlooking the Sound. Large pool overlooking the water. Pool clean, plenty of lounge chairs and floaties for the kids. Staff is strict but very accomodating. Pretty restaurant with beautiful views of the Sound. Indoor and outdoor seating available. The only negative thing is their close proximity to the street. The traffic noise was a little bothersome to me at night when trying to sleep.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 9 August 2014

This was our 7th year staying at the Sound View Inn. It has become a family tradition with my husbands entire side of the family thanks to my beautiful in-laws. I don't know who had more fun, the kids or the adults. I can't say enough about Ellen and the entire staff. The view is priceless!!!! Thank you for another EXCELLENT week. Can't wait until next August. Let the countdown begin!!!! 357 days!! Can't come soon enough!!!

• Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed 7 August 2014

All of the rooms are just steps to the beach on LI Sound. The beach is raked regularly, well maintained and clean. A great place for a family outing which our trip was. Our kids with their families had another suite and a deluxe room in the newer section. All accommodations were clean, the staff was courteous and helpful ( a screen door off the runner was fixed in minutes of our call). Newer TVs in all the rooms that we have seen and plenty of space if you want to cook up a big pasta dinner. We'll be back. Housekeeping does a great job in straightening, cleaning and picking up after the grandkids. Great location - in the heart of wine county and between Greenport and Southold (plenty of shops & great restaurants). PS. Jelly fish when in season come and go with the tide; plan you swimming accordingly or use the large modern pool with lifeguard in attendance.

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Rich2345
Reviewed 30 July 2014

You can't beat the location...you open your back door and there's the LI Sound, just steps away from you. We were in a small "suite with king bed." If you can deal with a totally outdated motel that is not particularly clean, i.e., hairs in the sink, no garbage bags in the garbage cans, but hey, our wrapped bathroom cups were in the garbage, guess they just forgot to put them on the sink (GROSS!!!!)... Looks as though they rushed to get the room ready... The surrounding area of the faucets were filthy and the shower didn't look clean either (more hairs). I also didn't like the fact that any time I needed to flush the toilet, I had to put the toilet seat down as the handle to the flusher was in a very weird spot... After I sprayed the door handles and sink faucets with Lysol, I felt ok touching them. (yes, I carry a mini can when I travel lol!) Oh and The Sound View Inn Restaurant...totally overpriced with just average food. I gave them 3 stars, my boyfriend gave them 2.5. There was no one sitting outside so we thought it might be nice to eat outside. We were told all outside seats were reserved yet we noticed maybe two people at one table, the rest vacant -- still vacant when we left! The bread basket consisted of two Arnold's store type rolls and 3 flatbread, not too impressive to begin with. I had the grilled shrimp which came with angel hair pasta and spinach, which was weighed down in oil. The shrimp (5 medium size) were good, pasta ok, spinach couldn't finish due to oil. My meal was $28.50, totally overpriced. I had a glass of the house Cabernet... Tasted watered down. My boyfriend had one of the specials -- chicken with bruschetta and goat cheese. We were laughing because every time one of the staff walked by, we kept hearing what they were running out of ... Lobster, orange vodka... He said they must have run out of spices, too -- that his meal had no flavor -- and his meal was about $24-26. Overall, the best part of the stay pwas the proximity to the LI Sound. The setting and view are by far the very best this place has to offer -- but one caveat to even that -- the noise of the cars going back and forth outside the front windows drown out the lovely sound of the waves right outside our back windows -- even with the air conditioner on. If you can get past these type of things, then it's a great place to stay. We paid $225/night for two nights plus tax. We, on the other hand, would prefer to stay someplace else next time.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Karmascounting
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Don't believe the gushing reviews supposedly written by other "guests". Our "deluxe" room did have a small Audiovox (i.e., cheap) flat screen TV, fridge, microwave and single-serve coffee maker that made coffee that tasted like light broth, but the furnishings were old and the bathroom was original from sometime in the 1950's -- no joke -- except to mis-match flesh-tone missing tiles with turd-colored ones and poorly repaint the sink and counter. Front desk is curt and robotic. It looks like the younger help is scared of the management. Annoying tip jars are everywhere.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Pepe S
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We stayed here 12 years ago with my then toddler son. I recall that the room we stayed in had wood paneling and a terrible musty smell, but that the setting was spectacular and the beach, though rocky, was lovely. At the time of our stay, I became aware that some rooms were nicer and more renovated than others. From reading recent reviews, it appears not much has changed. Fast forward to 2014- my now 14 year old goes to camp every year in Shelter Island and this year, instead of making the six hour round trip in one day, we thought would make a vacation out of it. Since hotels on Shelter Island are so pricey, we decided to do Greenport instead and to give the Sound View Inn another shot. We stayed with our two kids in a 1 1/2 room suite on the first floor of the double height building (smaller rooms are in the main building and I believe those are the older, less renovated rooms). Our room was light and airy with a large beachfront deck. There was a king sized bed and a pull out (full sized) couch. The bathroom had older fixtures, but it suited us fine. The "wet bar" consisted of a mini fridge, microwave, coffee maker and sink. The 2 1/2 room suites advertise "kitchenettes" which I assume include a stovetop. Second floor rooms and 2 bedroom suites (in another building) are for adults only. I do understand about the 2nd floor rooms (who wants kids running and jumping over their heads?) but not the 2 bedroom units. I would think this would be ideal for families. No matter though- the 1 1/2 room suite was perfect for our needs. The motel is indeed on a busy road, but I did not hear the cars from inside the room. Every room here is beachfront and the view is spectacular! It was so relaxing to just sit out on the deck on a comfy lounge chair (cushions provided) and watch the water. There is a lovely pool overlooking the ocean (unfortunately the other side faces the road with the cars constantly speeding by). A continental breakfast is included, and can be eaten at the oceanfront tables by the office, which was a nice touch The staff and management at the hotel are extremely accommodating. We had dinner one night in the restaurant. The menu is extremely pricey. A bar menu and a burger and sandwich menu is available and are meant to be eaten only at lunch or in the bar area, but the restaurant manager graciously allowed us to eat on the oceanfront deck and we enjoyed a spectacular sunset over the water as we ate. The beach is indeed very rocky (those that complain about the beach should do their research about the area - this is no fault of the hotels- this is just how Greenport beaches are!) and beach shoes are a must! Unfortunately, there were TONS of jellyfish in the water when we were there (TONS - and huge ones too) so my kids would not swim- thank God for the pool! Lounge chairs are available and plentiful, so you do not need to sit on the hard rocky beach or bring your own chairs. In fact, the beach was always fairly empty despite the hotel being filled to capacity. All in all, a wonderful stay!

Room Tip: 1 1/2 or 2 1/2 room suites in the two story building!