“My fave view!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Greenport
Philadelphia
“My fave view!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2006

I just got back from another wonderful vacation in Long Island, New York. I stayed at the Sound View Inn as I have for the last 7 years. I thought I would post my thoughts on the Sound View Inn. First off, you will never find the nicest office staff around, they are like a family who make you feel comfortable right away. The cleaning staff is also very friendly, there was never a problem with them helping you with anything extra I needed. The rooms I find to be very spacious and comfortable, especially the suites. The lifeguards at the pool are very helpful and friendly as well.

The best part of staying at the Sound View Inn is waking up to the sound of the waves crashing against the rocks and having your morning coffee or tea on the deck, talking to your neighbors.

My most favorite view is the sunset over the water. I highly recommend staying at the Sound View Inn just once, you will never want to stay anywhere else, you will never have the best view anywhere else.

• Liked — The overall experience
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — no
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled as a couple
      Location
      Check-in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
new york
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2006

Wow a friend told me today about this site. I wish I would of known before I booked the Soundview inn. We went yesterday for a relaxing overnight with our son. When we saw the room, i thought wow this needs updating big time but I said ok its only overnight. Next we buy stuff to put in the fridge, ok not working well, hardly got cold. Let it slide. Not a big deal. The sunset I will say was amazing from out balcony, patio. We were careful not to open the screen so no bugs could get it. Well they must of been in it already. Our son was trying to go to sleep with no luck (he is 10 and has autism) We notice him scratching and notice mosquito bites on his legs and arms. Ones not there when he showered for bed. Ok we took care of it and we tryed to relax. Well half hour later my husband is covered with bites. To follow i am getting bites. This is inside the room. We spotted a very mosquitos and on the door of the screen a ton on them. The door by the way was falling apart. Well after about an hour we packed up and drove all the way home on those dark roads. I now have a call out to the motel and am fighting the 200. charge. Terrible experience. Very hard to explain to our son because of his disabilty what happened. All he kepts saying is go in car, go home. So sad this happened. It is on a beautiful location but very very outdated and things falling apart. Bathroom was so tiny it was unreal. Hope this helps future travelers. Oh a positive the lifeguard at the pool was very nice and the pool was very clean. After we paid for the room we were told that there was jelly fish and we couldnt swim in the water. That is not there fault in all honestly but still very dsheartning experience.

• Stayed August 2006, travelled with family
      Location
      Check-in / front desk
13 Thank sueb391703

Travellers are raving about these Greenport hotels

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2006

I have been a patron for a couple of years now, and every time I go there (which is quite frequent) the staff is always quite friendly, vibrant, and personable. I would recommend this to anyone and everyone. I have found the food to be great and the service exeptional.

• Stayed December 2005
New Haven, Connecticut
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2005

Huge lesson on internet shopping!!

This "was" a romantic get-away. Never been to Greenport, but heard about the great beaches. The hotel website showed this beautiful hotel, with a private deck, and a beach, and views of the water...small price too (I think around $120 on a Saturday) w/o multiple night commitment...so we felt "lucky" and grab it.

I felt like we were at The Bates Motel. :( It was so out-dated entirely, the beds were so small, and the rooms were all pannelling. The bathroom had metal fixtures, and even kitchen tile patching holes!! The deck we sharred (wasn't private) but it was fine...and the beach, oh I learned now to ask, but it wasn't sand but was all rocks!!! No surf, just still water too.

We left the next day and "found" Montauk which I would more than highly recommend over and over again. The ride it self cross island was totally perfect!! We had the best time. And if you want a great beach, Montauk will not disappoint you at all!! :)

• Stayed July 2004
11 Thank WharfRatCT
Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2005

While I stayed at The Soundview a few years ago, I also visit that area all the time. I some ways the location is good, but as a previous poster said the rooms do have an old ambience to them, actually a musty odor. Not always a bad thing if you don't mind. With a small child there isn't anything to do except play on the beach which by the way is beautiful. A restaurant is on site but expensive. The nearest area restaurants are about two miles away, and worth it. To go down to the beach, you leave your room out the back door and then go down a flight of wooden steps to a small but pretty beach. It does extend a bit down the shore, and is beautiful to wake up to a rising sun. It is also located along a very busy highway so watch your children. Office personel were nice but didn't offer any helpful info.

• Stayed May 2003
4 Thank nancycR2383IO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2004

I am in agreement with most all of your reviewers (except those who have run into rude help), but can honestly say that for the money, Sound View is the best deal on the North Fork. The rooms may be in need of a makeover, but it's a beach motel.....not the Ritz. While a makeover would be nice, it wouldn't keep us from going back. We have been staying at Sound View for the past 5 years both summer (week) and fall (weekend) and always look forward to going back again. The family (sisters) who are usually at the front desk have always been very pleasant and the housekeeping staff pleasant as well. Perhaps your reviewers just got them on bad days.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2004

I love the sound view i am going to stay there tommorrow for like 5 days and i cant wait im just waiting for it! I went there when i was 7 it is wonderful, my favorite part is the beach, the pool is great, and sound view is only about 20 minutes away from splish splash where i am going to go to while my mom relaxes :) , the resturant is wonderful, when i was 7 me and my mom sat right on the beach and watched the sunset together, I will never forget that, I love it and always will no matter how many stupid rude comments i hear
THE GREENPORT SOUND VIEW IS GREAT GO THERE !

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Greenport
Harborfront Inn at Greenport
#2 of 3 in Southold
The Pridwin Hotel
The Pridwin Hotel
#2 of 5 in Shelter Island

Been to Sound View Inn? Share your experiences!