“Definitely recommend staying here”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Greenville
Greenville Arms 1889 Inn
Ranked #2 of 6 Greenville B&B and Inns
St. John's, Canada
“Definitely recommend staying here”
Reviewed 21 July 2010

I loved my stay at this delightful Inn. The room, although small, had 4 windows overlooking beautiful mature trees. Breakfasts were superb (and coffee is on the go all day starting early). The grounds are lovely with a creek running through it and a much appreciated swimming pool. Mark and Kim are a busy pair with a lot on the go but very attentive to their guests.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank nfweavery

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Clifton Park NY
Reviewed 14 April 2010

My wife and I stayed at the Inn for a weekend getaway and we could not have been more pleased. The room was comfortable and clean, the food was outstanding, and the staff was very pleasant and helpful. The atmosphere and the grounds are simply beutiful. Mark and Kim made us feel special and the stay was exactly what we needed for a relaxing weekend getaway. I highly recommend the Greenville Arms Inn, its Awesome!!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Soupcan4
Seattle
Reviewed 12 April 2010

My now fiance and I have made three trips out to the east coast and stayed in this Inn twice and liked it enough the first time we decided to come back again. We've stayed in one of the cottage rooms for a trip during the summer and a small traditional room when we were there in the winter and while the cottage room was amazing (especially the whirl pool tub!) the tradition room in the main house was cozy without being cramped and more that fit our needs.

Overall the Inn was charming and the historic character definitely added to the overall feel of the trip. The Inn was clean and the grounds well kept, even in the winter. Once we came back from a day trip to Kim (one of the owners and Inn keepers) shoveling snow from the driveway, turns out this is one of her favorite things to do! The fact that they love what they're doing shows thru their excellent service wether its cooking, making chocolate or talking about local businesses, activities or restaurants. A quick special note for the meals there, my fiance is gluten intolerant and can not tolerate dairy and is allergic to berries, they were happily able to work with our needs, specialized as they were.

We were able to day trip easily out into the country side, the hudson river valley or take the train into New York City for a few days then back to the inn for a couple of relaxing days before returning to California and the daily grind. Kim and Mark were very knowledgeable about the area and gave great advice.

• Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank EZP
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 7 April 2010

The Greenville Arms was to be my "home away from home" for a one week vacation in upstate New York. I'd made the reservation months earlier, planning to enjoy the splendor of the autumn foliage while sightseeing in the Hudson River Valley. My plane arrived late and I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to check in. I called from the airport, got an answering machine and left a message. I briefly considered spending the night in Albany, and then decided to take my chances driving out to Greenville. Before I could complete my car rental, I received a call back from the Inn. The cheerful voice on the other end of the phone assured me that there'd be someone to show me to my room, that it was no problem, and to "Come on out"! Being unfamiliar with the car and the roads, it took much longer than expected to arrive. It was generally dark and closed-looking. I let myself in, and was relieved to be quickly and warmly greeted. After checking on my well-being, the Innkeeper (Mark), showed me to my room and asked if I wanted to be woke for breakfast.
My room was charming and the bed was comfortable. It felt great to lay down in bed and just relax. There were some features of the room that really gave me the sense that I was sleeping in a piece of history. The Victorian architecture, the wood, and the antique heater vent still in place come to mind immediately. The fabric artwork in my room, and throughout the Inn, combine with the historical aspects to create a distinctly homey feel.
Sure enough, the next morning I had to be woke up for breakfast. I was surprised that I'd slept in so late. The food was really good, the fresh-baked muffins were my favorite. After breakfast, I explored the Inn and its grounds. Then I went for a walk to get a sense of the surroundings. What struck me most was the way the locals kept all of the huge green areas on their properties mowed neatly, just like lawns. That, and the freshness of the air. Back at the Inn, I found a comfortable shared-area room to read in.
After a couple days, a large group showed up, and I was asked if I'd mind moving to the cottage behind the Inn. By then I'd become attached to my little room at the top of the stairs, and showed my trepidation at the idea of moving. I told Mark that I liked the room I was in, and he said "All of our rooms are different, and just as nice. Why don't you take a look and it's completely up to you." I took a look, and really liked the view out the windows while sitting at the small table. He was right, different goodies to be had in different rooms. I switched rooms and am so glad that I had the experience of each room on one vacation!
While I was there, I also toured the Frederic Church house, some of the towns in the area, and drove and hiked in the Catskills. But mostly I relaxed at the Inn. The staff was friendly and accommodating without exception. They were non-intrusive, and willing to answer questions and make recommendations which greatly enhanced my trip.
I look forward to visiting the Hudson River Valley again. I'll definitely be staying at the Greenville Arms and trying out a couple more of their rooms.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank Zimiamvian
Seattle, WA
Reviewed 31 March 2010

I've stayed at the inn at least once a year for the past 4 or 5 years and in 3 different rooms. My favorite is the one on the second floor of the main building that has the balcony. It's just such a warm and charming room. Each experience has been better than the last. One of the rooms with the big purple couch in the main in is also a lovely place to read a book, knit, or play a game. The grounds are beautiful year round and there is always something interesting to see.

The innkeepers also make some amazing vegan and regular chocolate! And the service is always excellent as well!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
brooklyn ny
Reviewed 24 August 2009

What was supposed to be a delightful wedding trip with an extra night’s stay to turn it into a weekend romantic getaway turned to disaster.

Going to Upstate NY for a wedding, we picked the nicest inn off the suggested list by the wedding party. A major part of the decision was their 50 foot pool as we planned a two night stay to make a bit of a vacation of it. While I had hoped for a large and romantic room we were notified the Inn was booked, but they had a few of the small rooms available, which I happily agreed to as the other amenities outweighed the room size.

Given the website listed no formal dining (other than breakfast) I emailed the Inn 4 days ahead of my stay asking for dinner recommendations for the night of our arrival. I got no response. With 2 days left to go I emailed them a second time and called the main office which went to voice mail and I hung up.

On the day I was to drive, I took matters into my own hands, found a nearby restaurant suggested by Travel & Leisure Magazine and made a reservation at the wonderful Point Lookout Inn.
The night we arrived we were given the room key for Room No. 16 - a small room in a separate (and mildly creepy) building behind the historic mansion. The owners were quick to mention my restaurant request saying they had emailed AND called my office phone with suggestions that very evening… a bit too little too late, but ok…. a 4 day time gap to what should be a copy/paste boilerplate response of restaurant suggestions is lazy. I then double checked with them for their opinion of Point Lookout Inn which they told me was not on their list for a reason and while its “not good, you won’t spit up your food, but if you do, don’t tell us. You go there for the view not the food.” With that wonderfully snobby reaction to a major magazine’s recommendation we left for dinner, which despite the owners objections was indeed a great view AND great food.
Arriving late that night we opened our room door to spot a chipmunk – yes a rodent - all be it a non-threatening one in our bed. Literally hanging out on the sheets. I chased him out of the room, tucked a towel under the door and called the front desk – which went to voice mail. After leaving a message, we got ready for bed.

Then the chipmunk came back.

Unbeknownst to me the critter was able to move the towel and break back into our room. My poor girlfriend woke me up horrified as the rodent was playing with her slippers on the floor. Obviously there’s plenty of humor in his, but please recognize that: 1. A horrified girlfriend is not romantic. 2. Rodents carry germs, deer ticks, and other nasty stuff we’d rather not literally be in bed with. 3. Being woken up in the middle of the night by this kind of ridiculousness is not fun nor is it restful (ie. What I’m paying these people for).

At this point I had a few options – one of which was to kill the thing (again not romantic) or to chase him fully out of the building, though the place has many nooks and crannies and I highly doubted the critter came through the front door and could make his way back. I was sure he had a specific reason to be after our room and I even did a quick check for baby chipmunks since his insistence on breaking back into the room bordered on crazy and I suspected we were on his usual turf. Note also we had no food with us and we brought nothing even remotely resembling kibble.

After chasing him out yet again, I then solved the problem with an inventive combination of a dresser drawer and our luggage in front of the re-positioned towel under the door. I say clever because it was now 5 am, my girlfriend had been up for most of the night scared witless and I could barely function.

Then the chipmunk came back again.

Though he was blocked by our luggage he began tearing at the towel under the door. I got up, banged the door, heard him scamper off and then went to bed. This amusing game (to you the reader, not to me) continued every hour until it was time to get ready for the day. I never did find his secret stash of nuts or his litter of babies, but something was certain – he really loved room 16 and wanted back in.

At Brunch (in an eccentric dining room filled with THREE (3) portraits of the chef owner and tapestries with new-age pentagrams) the owners acknowledged my phone calls, yet offered no apology – saying it was “unusual” and that had I consulted the room guide, I’d have known that the emergency number was not the same as the office number…. They then asked if I’d like a different room. They thankfully gave us their best room for the following night at the smaller room fee (twice the price making up for the previous night’s stay financially though going to a wedding with no sleep is no fun).

Now with a full day ahead of us we decided to hang out at the pool and rest on the deckchairs…. And the pool was closed. Not just temporarily mind you but it looked like a swamp and had been closed all season. Apparently there’s a quick note of that fact on their website – at the end of a full paragraph extolling the pools virtues and right next to a huge photo of the beautiful 50 foot pool. Just the kind of thing to legally get them out of trouble and just mis-leading enough to entrap busy professionals like myself who skim websites while at work.

The remainder of the trip was fine dear fellow traveler, their best room is indeed a fabulous room complete with whirpool bath and fireplace. We thankfully had a restful night after attending an excellent wedding (the entire dining hall was roaring with laughter at our story and chanting “refund!!!) we headed out on Sunday afternoon never to see the Greenvill Arms Inn ever again. …we hope.

I have graded the hotel in a manner I believe is fair here, we opted NOT to leave this story in their in-room guestbooks as we noticed there were torn out pages – evidence we assume that any negative review in the book would be removed.

Was the Chipmunk an “act of god” … potentially, yes. I don’t doubt that if you stay in a country setting you get critters, etc. and the Inn did “apologize” with the bigger room offer, however between the slow response on restaurants, the odd “rules of the house” (can’t they forward the main line to their room at night?) and the bait and switch pool issue, I felt like I got less than stellar service.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
5 Thank gordon m
kmilcbd, owner at Greenville Arms 1889 Inn, responded to this review, 2 October 2009
Yes, our inn is in the country and sometimes if a guest is not careful about closing the main door of our carriage house (also a historic and well maintained building) a squirrel or chipmunk has been known on the rare occasion to come in. Chipmunks, squirrels, or other critters do not live in our rooms. We constantly monitor all of our rooms.

We most certainly did apologize profusely and immediately upgraded this guest to our best room. (Their statement that none of our larger rooms were available when they made their reservation was definitely not true.)

To put this guest's comments about cleanliness in context for other travelers, it would be important to note that they left this deluxe room a complete mess with trash and wine stains all over the floor and white bed spreads.

We have an excellent housekeeping staff. Our head housekeeper has been with the inn for more than 20 years. Our staff keeps our rooms spotlessly clean and for this guest to suggest otherwise is quite insulting and also untrue.

We never tear out anything written in our room guest journals. If this guest only saw good and positive comments in the book that is because that is what our guests write!

The fact that our pool is closed this year (to reopen next year) is clearly shown on our website in bold letters. Nothing about the pool being closed is hidden.

It would have been easy enough for this guest to contact us because we live on the premises. So even if he couldn't reach us by the business line, our living quarters are just a short distance from any of our guest rooms. We are always available to help our guests with any issue. Our after-hours phone number is easily found in the guest guide book available in every guest room. Or guests can just come and knock on our door!

We always send a list of recommended area restaurants with our inn reservation confirmation letter that is mailed to guests prior to their arrival, but there is no way we can make sure that they look it.

We offer restaurant recommendations based on our perception of what the specific guest is looking for. This guest took our comments and quips completely out of context and made them sound totally negative, which they were not. We always offer our honest opinion of area restaurants. If a restaurant is more of a family-style restaurant, we are not going to embellish the truth and call it fine dining. Our guests can count on getting an honest opinion from us.

We are planning to list area restaurants on our website to make it even easier for guests to discover all of the great places to dine in our area.

This guest says that they emailed us in advance for restaurant recommendations but we did not get any email until the night before the reservations date and we responded to it right away. If they call and don't leave a message there is no way for us to response. When they finally did leave a message on the morning of their arrival, it was returned. I left a message on their voice mail since I could not get through to them directly.

This guest's snide comments about the inn dining room decor was uncalled for. If he had taken the time to inquire he would have discovered that our inn is home of the Hudson River Valley Art Workshops and the art on the walls in not just there for decoration but because they represent the work of some of the instructors who teach here. Having more than one portrait of the chef/owner may seem a bit egocentric but it actually allows the students to see how different artist instructors have interpreted the same subject. The art on display is a constantly changing exhibit.
pa
Reviewed 31 July 2009

My husband and I stayed for one night at the Greenville Arms. We were happy with everything about our stay except the mattress. The place is filled with antiques and I believe the mattress is an antique as well. However, we were very happy with the inn keepers, the room was lovely and very clean, the common rooms were nice and clean as well, we loved the balcony on the front and breakfast was great! We would stay again!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank pamcyclebabe
Also consider these accommodations in or near Greenville
Best Western New Baltimore Inn
#3 of 6 in Greenville
Gavin's Irish Country Inn
Gavin's Irish Country Inn
#1 of 1 in Cornwallville

Been to Greenville Arms 1889 Inn? Share your experiences!