“Awesome Experience!!!”

The Restaurant at Benn Conger Inn
Ranked #1 of 11 Restaurants in Groton
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Groups, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Elizabeth, New Jersey, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Awesome Experience!!!”
Reviewed 31 May 2013

I was in a Regional Meeting for my company. I like to search for a cozy and unique place to visit and have lunch or dinner or just drinks, that's something I do when I go away to different places for meetings. Owners greeted me and my coworker, which is not a usual thing to do, most restaurants are greeted by a host with a fake smile and which gives a bad impression. This was a different and unique greeting, very personal and welcoming and felt very humble. The Menu was very unique and all seems to be good. But I can only eat one meal. The waiter was polite and made us feel very comfortable. Drinks was delicious and well done!!! The Decor is unique and the place was clean, lighting was very romantic, with the ease of calm and relaxing atmosphere. Over all I have recommended this place to other coworkers, family and many of my friends. If you like to see nature/ have quite dinner/romatic evening and have great food/Drinks in a comfortable/Family/Home atmosphere this would be the ideal place to see, eat and drink, perhaps stay if you can. I definetly will visit again and perhaps stay a night to get the all experience of the Restaurant/Inn. This restaurant was a good experience for me.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Antonio R

Elizabeth, New Jersey
“Great time had by all"”
Reviewed 30 May 2013

This past weekend I had the pleasure of celebrating my Son's Graduation from Cornell.

The Benn Conger Inn provided a great venue for this celebration.

The location is close but far enough from the madding crowd of Ithaca Graduation Weekend.

The owner greeted us at the door as we were coming in. (a rarity in today's world)

We were seated in their glass atrium surrounded by nature.

The menu was a select menu, but had 5 unique entrees for every specific palate.

I had discussed the menu months before graduation and was grateful the we were accommodated during this busy weekend.

Loved the Tempora Shrimp with Wasabi Dipping Sauce as my appetizer.

Great "Blue Margarita".........WOW!!!!!

For the main course I had the Bacon Wrapped Pork Medallions, my Husband the Prime Rib, my Son the Holland Filet of Sole and my young Daughter opted for their vegetarian selection of Grilled Teriyaki Tofu Stir Fry. I will tell you we had smiles on our faces. The portions and taste were unbelievable. Normally I am very picky with my food, but this was unique experience.

Great food, ambiance and people. Kudos to the owners and staff for making our family weekend special.

Bertha & Paul
Elizabeth, NJ

2 Thank yumu
Groton, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“What a GREAT EXPERIENCE !!!!!!!”
Reviewed 30 May 2013

What an outstanding experience. First of all, it was my girlfriends birthday last weekend. I had forgoten it was graduation weekend and tried to make reservations. I was told they were booked solid. I explained to the owner that it was my girlfriends birthday and wanted to surprise her by going there. After hearing my desperate plea, they made it work so we were able to have dinner. We ended up having the fish which was FANTASTIC !!!!! Cooked to perfection and tasted wonderful !The staff made the evening more enjoyable. I can not say enough about the Benn Conger Inn. Great food, and just a wonerful staff ! I would highly recomend this restaurant to anyone that is looking for and unforgetable experience. Thank You Benn Conger Inn !!!!!

1 Thank jperki1
Lansing, New York
“Looking forward to another visit”
Reviewed 30 May 2013

My boyfriend surprised me with dinner at the Benn Conger for my birthday. It was graduation weekend and they were booked, but they squeezed us in. The staff was wonderful and the food was delicious! I'm looking forward to another dinner at the Benn Conger!

1 Thank Erin E
Naples, Florida
“Big Graduation Dissappointment”
Reviewed 27 May 2013

This is my first review ever. Usually I read trip advisor before we dine out. However, this time I felt compelled to write this review to let the readers know the truth about this restaurant. Our son was graduating from college on Sunday ,so to celebrate his accomplishments we wanted a very special dining experience the night before. I booked the reservation months in advance because it was recommended by a local resident. Our experience started out lovely: greeted by the owner, live music entering the inn, and a beautiful separate dining room. There were special graduation menus on the table. Our meal started with ordinary dinner rolls and packets of butter. Our family ordered a variety of entrees. We were all served the same undercooked and tasteless vegetables. We were all served the same undercooked baked potato. We were expecting a gourmet starch, that perhaps complimented our main course. The chicken and pork were just ok. My mother and I had the fish which was so fishy and tasteless, not grilled as described in the menu. The fish was swimming in water with corn salsa that couldn't mask the fishy taste Their special graduation menu was especially poor. The only saving grace was the homemade cheesecake. Perhaps, for future graduations more thought and care will go into their menu and cooking for this very special occasion. I feel cheated out of a good memory.

2 Thank baseballmom3_13
goodcomments, Owner at The Restaurant at Benn Conger Inn, responded to this review, 30 May 2013
This is our 9th Cornell Graduation Weekend.
Every year we take pride and time in formulating a special Menu for our Graduates and Family.
While we acknowlege that everyone's taste pallats are different; we try to provide a well rounded menu for this occasion. This is a set menu due to the high #'s of Patrons for the weekend.
We also take pride in our staff in always offering to correct any situation immediately.

I would like to reiterate on a few points in response to the review above by the dissappointed customer:

*We tried to several times to offer another entree, but the customer refused.
This is the only time we can correct the situation. This was never mentioned in the review.
*Our Fish was "Broiled" as it statted on our graduation menu and "not grilled".
Our Teriyaki Tofu was grilled.
*The plates returned had a quarter size of the fish left.
*We went out of our way to provide a private dinning room (Dempsey Room with Chandelier); in light of limited seating for larger groups.
*Our vegetables are served "al dente" in order to maintain nutrients. This is common for the area.
All our vegetables are freshly cut and sauteed.
We do not provide vegetables boiled to baby food consistency.
*We had close to 200 patrons over the weekend and this was the only complaint. "Do the math".
*Our response is "direct" due to the fact that we take pride in our service & product we provide.
*It saddens us that the customers who wrote the review were friends of friends that frequent the restaurant on a weekly basis.
They should have been more confident in letting us resolve the issue at the moment.
*We are a stickler in resolving any dissatisfaction at the time of service and not after the fact.