“Good pastrami sandwich!”

Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
“Good pastrami sandwich!”
Reviewed 1 February 2013 via mobile

Went at prime time lunch. 12:30. Got seated right away. Service was good. Got drinks and soup within 5-7 minutes. Sandwiches came 4-5 minutes later.
I enjoyed my hot pastrami on rye. Husband liked his club of pastrami and corned beef , but thought corned beef tasted like he bought it from price chopper not a ny deli.
Soup was very good.
Neither of us could eat all of sandwich.
Pastrami was $10.
Husband loved the side order of pickles.

Did notice guy next to us who was ignored and left. It did take a while to get server to cash us out.
Ill give it another try.
Place was packed. A lot of ppl were getting matzo ball soup. The lady near us had egg soda and she looked like she liked it.

1 Thank Anniecat2

Voorheesville, New York
“Three Strikes”
Reviewed 1 February 2013

This was my third experience picking up takeout from Nosh. The order wasn't particularly complicated, two triple decker sandwiches. I called, placed my order, gave my last name and telephone number and was told 30 minutes. Fine. I pull up 35 minutes later---tell the girl at the window that I'm picking up and give her my last name. Fast forward several minutes and she comes back to the window and says " Is it possible that it's under another name?" I replied "No, I only gave my last name". I tell her what I ordered and she disappears again for five minutes and comes back with a bag. She says "You wanted potato salad sides with both of those, correct?" I reply "Yes". I pay, get my food and go home.

I open the bag when I get home, the sandwiches were right. But.....no potato salad (???) and no pickles. I thought about calling but it's not that close to my house so I just divvied up the sandwiches.
On to the food; the sandwiches were certainly plentiful enough, and the bread, despite other reviews, was quite good, but both sandwiches were oddly very bland. None of us could taste the russian dressing, and the coleslaw had absolutely no flavor at all, not sweet, not tangy, just.....nothing. I picked out a piece of corned beef and a piece of pastrami, but they tasted exactly the same...sort of a weird hybrid corned beefy taste.
Anyway, the other two times I've picked up from there, the orders were wrong, or were missing items.
I can go to Center Stage Deli in Rotterdam and get exactly the same portion sizes that taste better and are less expensive. And the orders are always complete.
Sorry Nosh, I wanted to like you, but three strikes and you're out.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank msheamel
Malta, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nosh Deli...1st visit. Overall, good.”
Reviewed 9 January 2013

Had my first visit to Nosh, with one of my sons. He was reluctant, as on his previous visit, the wait for his order had been around 30 min. However, this time, our food arrived within 10 min, except one side, just a few min later.

Cheers and jeers. His sandwich, a 'Delancey' was big, and excellent, with potato salad side that he liked ( I thought it needed some salt). Price was reasonable.

I had the stuffed cabbage dinner. It was very good. Sauce and cabbage excellent, best i've had in a long time. Filling needed salt, to my taste, and could have been warmer, but all in all very good. Came with perfectly cooked mini-green beans and outstanding roasted potatoes. Had a side of cole slaw in place of a salad. It was a generous portion, very good, and colorful...carrots and some red cabbage in it...again, needed a little salt, to my taste.

Only real complaint is that they only serve it after 4 PM and I'd want it for lunch.

Potato pancakes...very good...

Potato knish...really needs work. Potato filling a bit bland, not 'schmaltzy', needs some onion and more filling. I'm NOT a food expert. That being said, but while this was superior to the leathery square 'production line' type knishes, it lacked a proper flaky 'crust', IMHO... Instead, the outer layer was more like a bread dough, and rose to about 3/4" thick on the bottom...which took up most of the filling, and was Chewy... wrong dough, methinks. The ones I've liked over the decades have had an outer shell more like a pie crust..I think even phyllo dough would have been much better, if not traditional...neither was what they're using.

Wanted to try the kishka and noodle pudding, but they were out of it.

I would definitely go back, a bunch of fellow retirees are planning to... I want to try the corned beef and pastrami, and, of course the kishka and noodle pudding, if they make/get in enough.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Moe D
Albany, New York
“Terrible customer service”
Reviewed 31 December 2012

I went to Nosh the day after Thanksgiving for lunch. I found the corner of a plastic bag in my salad. I brought it to the attention of the waitress who said she would inform the management. I got my bill and the salad was charged on it and there was no other comment made about it. I paid and went home and emailed through the website and told what happened. I got no reply. I waited a week and called. I was told that the owner "just stepped out" so I left a detailed message but I never got a call back. I will not go there again and I do not recommend it to anyone because of not only the poor customer service but also the possibility of the danger of choking on foreign matters in the food.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank Veronica H
albany
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Somewhat disappointing”
Reviewed 25 December 2012

Was looking forward to having a good deli nearby. First visit order was wrong. Both times the corned beef was fatty. The whitefish salad (one of my favorites) looked very promising, but was so salty as to be inedible. Pickles & pastrami considerably better.

Visited July 2012