“Not very challenging...”

Sacandaga Outdoor Center
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Hadley
More attraction details
Owner description: For a safe, memorable adventure, Sacandaga Outdoor Center (S.O.C.) is the area’s premiere family destination. From Rafting, Tubing to Kayaking, Canoeing and Stand Up Paddle Boarding (SUP), there are trips for everyone… from Mild to Wild! Cool off this spring & summer! Paddle the best white water, using the best guides, the best equipment, the best prices, and the best location. Tube with the biggest and best outfitter on the Sacandaga and Hudson Rivers. Bring your whole group and have fun. The S.O.C. staff photographer captures everyone in the middle of the best rapids. Also, take advantage of their Riverside Parking – no post-paddle trek to your car is necessary because our lot is right at the take-out.
“Not very challenging...”
Reviewed 27 July 2013

Nice guides, beautiful river, but very tame water. They claim it is a class 2/ 3, but it felt more like a class 1/2. It's not very challenging, in fact a bit of a yawner and mostly underwhelming. (Perfect for 5 year olds, though:)

Visited July 2013

Northville, Michigan
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Perfect first time white water rafting”
Reviewed 5 July 2013

This white water rafting trip with SOC is fun, exciting, and engaging for the entire family. With only Class II, III waves, this is an ideal experience for the first-timer, regardless of age. The guides are passionate, friendly and encouraging not to mention great targets during the water battles between rafts. Get ready for some wet river fun!

Visited July 2013
2 Thank Lolo_AK
London, United Kingdom
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Could not have been better”
Reviewed 21 June 2013

I was worried about being an older visitor that this might not be a good idea. How wrong was I?

For a start I arrived without a booking and gave them a restrictive window when I could do the trip. Nice as pie, although I would be the only one they would run a special raft, just for me. Jack was at the blunt end to steer and Brandon came along to make up the weight and add some muscle. A nicer pair of guys you could not paddle with and both full of knowledge about the fauna of the area.

That is not to say the the auxiliary staff weren't every bit as attentive - they were all great. My thanks to you all.

If I were to pick a fault, albeit a small one, I thought at $37 the CD containing my 6 photographs was a trifle expensive but I brought it nevertheless. Well at 69 I don't know when I'll go white water rafting again. Try it yourself. It was thrilling and very safe. Thanks guys

Visited June 2013
Queensbury, New York
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Fun times, great staff on the river!”
Reviewed 19 August 2012

I have gone on the Sacandaga River trip several times now with this outfitter and won't consider going with any other. My husband and I have done the rafting as well as the inflatable kayaks. We've also taken friends and their 5 year old on the raft. This is an extremely well run experience. Guides are awesome! They are very enthusiastic, funny and actively create a fun, memorable experience. I am impressed by their attention to safety and making sure everyone is properly fitted in their life jackets and that they understand the rules of the river. Instruction is fun, interactive and makes the point. The owner, John Duncan, is very involved, has an active presence and is an obvious leader of this fun pack of guides. I see the same guides year after year and their loyalty and professionalism is evident. As for the trip itself - it's a great way intro to whitewater. There's rapids at the beginning and bigger rapids right at the end. In between, there is flatter water. But, that's when other fun begins - the water fights between rafts!!! You can also get out of the raft and swim and float. Overall, a real thumbs up experience!

2 Thank TessiR