“great camp site and park”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Haines Falls
North-South Lake Campground
Reviewed 18 July 2011

Stayed in loop 1 site 11. Great site. Close seconds are 9 & 13. Large & private & close to modern showers & bathrooms through a nice wood chip lined path. Site 11 is private & backs up to a stream with no sites behind you or to the left. There is a site across but on an angle so if you park your car right, they can not see into the camp site. We drove to all the loops and sites and I honestly have to say site 11 and 9 are two of the largest sites I saw and some of the most level sites. The stream runs through the camp area & kids love it so expect kids to walk in the stream past your site. We didnt mind at all & our kids liked seeing other kids. The site is large& had a nice stone fire place. we cooked on it every night. The park does sell fire wood good for a night & a morning of fire for 8.00. They said it was kiln dried but ours was damp. We actually bought our wood from Grand Union for 6.00 which was good for a night of fire but it was dry & burned great. You can bring in your own wood if its bought within 50 miles of the park. The bathrooms & showers were modern & the staff came 2x per day to clean them. Unfortunately some campers are very disrespectful & dirty & would mess up the bathrooms & showers within 10 min of the staff cleaning them. There are 2 beaches-North & south. South beach is better. The beach area is flat & the water more shallow for small children. However it is not always open for swimming due to no life guard. Ask the main gate office if a life guard is on duty b4 driving to the south beach. The road to south beach is broken up with pot holes & road upheavels so it takes about 20 min of 8 mile per hour driving to get to the beach inorder not take out a tire or brake an axel. North Beach is deeper, crowded & the beach is sloped. Many hiking trails but if you want a great view without an intensive hike, then take the road to south beach but drive past it to the very end & you can walk up the old access road that used to lead to the catskill hotel. It takes about 10 min. The view is amazing. Ok so about the bears- if you follow the clear instructions they give you when you check in, you will not have issues. Unfortunatley some moron in our loop was making pancakes for the bear & feeding him so he was attracted to the loop. It wasnt the bear's fault. We followed the rules & although its a pain to do so, it kept our site bear free. I had bear paw prints on my 4x4 but the bear was attracted to the vehicle parked on the edge of the site & not us or our tents. If people would follow the rules there would not be a bear issue. Just some last tips-pack a sweat shirt &sweat pants. Although it was 85 & hot in the day it got as low as 45 at night. Kaaterskill falls is nice but the walk down the road is very dangerous. Be careful as few drivers adhere to the 20 miles per hour. My advice if you have kids is drop them off with an adult at the small pull over at the falls & then park your car in the lot & walk down yourself. wear water shoes for grip on the rocks at the falls. Avoid Tannersville except Grand Union which is on the far end of town. they are reasonable for quickthings like hot dog rolls or fire wood or ice. The rest of the town is a tourist trap. Avoid Smileys ice cream towards the end of town. They charge 3.50 for the smallest soft serve cone that could possibly be created. I was actually stunned when he handed it to me to give to my son. I had three kids. 10.50 for three mini cones. I would have walked out except my kids really wanted ice cream. Its pure greed plain and simple. Its probably why the place is empty of any customers. that should have been the first warning. There is an ice cream truck that will go through the camp ground. very cheap ice cream novelties plus he sells bags of ice for 2.00. If you really need alot of things then drive down into catskill to the super wal mart. lastly, gas at stewarts is about 10 cents more then at the bottom of the mountain but they have decent coffee & scooped ice cream in cones for a decent price. The camp ground is nice and just follow the rules regarding bears and stay clear of Tourist trap: I mean Tannersville if possible.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
16  Thank mkcbcn

Reviewed 18 July 2011

First time to the campsite, as I entered and drove to the campsite, I was following a car in front of me, a patrol lady let that car passed but stopped me and gave me a ticket. I pleaded guilty (I had no choice o/w I should drive hundred miles to the court) and the hunter town court gave me 35 fine plus 75 surcharge fee! this is more than what I spent for a camp. Even at this day, I don't understand why she stopped me because I wasn't going that fast. If I did, she must've stopped the car before me instead. I stayed there for couple days and many cars are driving over 15 mph and she didn't seem to mind them. So watch out for a patrol guys, especially that white irish-looking lady, when you're a minority-looking like me. You'd better drive under 15.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
6  Thank james_shin
Reviewed 12 July 2011

but i was a bit afraid to find out if this was true. No incidents, but we heard on the morning of our 2nd day that a bear was seen at 2 sites near to ours. While driving out of the campground I saw one crossing the road. Other than walking around at night in constant terror, the campsites are terrific and the park is very beautiful. The lake is wonderful and our site was just near a stream, exactly like we thought from the map on the reservation website.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank ggman007
Reviewed 1 June 2011

This campground is awsome we try to get up a few times a year. It's a nice family campground great for children alot of stuff to do around the sites. Alot of good hiking trails amazing views just give yourself
some extra time when hiking exspecailly with children don't let them run ahead alot of cliffs . Make sure you bring your bug stray! Also check out platt rock it's a nice spot. Good views and cool cravings in the rocks from the 1800's. Overall had a good time. Clean bathrooms hot showers, sites are clean just need some new fire pits in some of the sites. But overall would highly recommend !

• Stayed: May 2011
5  Thank Nikki10704
Reviewed 12 October 2010

This is the second time ur family has camped at north south lake, and we have loved both times. The camp was quiet even though it was about 70% full. I highly recommend site 11. It is nice and private, with only one side having neighbors. Best of all, it is set on a creek. It may dry up in the summer, but it was perfect since we have had a lot of rain. Falling asleep to the bubbling brook was amazing. Kaaterskill Falls was also more dramatic after all the rain!

We usually go for small, less popular campgrounds, but this one is a personal favorite. Just be strategic about choosing a site, and avoid holiday weekends, as I hear they get noisy.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank troubledeyes
Reviewed 4 October 2010

I've been camping all my life. It's always been a fun, relaxing experience. All I need from a campsite is a flat, soft spot to pitch a tent and a nice fire ring to sit around and cook. (I can't speak to the daytime activities of North-South Lake, as we were there from 5 pm until 11 am checkout.)

I made my reservation with Reserve America, for two nights. My friend called the reservation line, concerned about the 9 pm check in curfew. We were coming from central Jersey after work on a Friday so it was going to be tough to make it in on time. We were assured we would be able to get into the camp after 9 pm, as long as we called ahead on our way up.

An hour away from home and 2+ hours away from the campground, I called the camp office. No admittance after 9 pm, with no exception. When I explained that we had been told otherwise, they said that Reserve America has no right fto give out those conditions. I let the woman in the office know that we would only be about a 1/2 hour late, so could she please just make an exception, as we have no other options for the night and were going to be a long way from home? No go. In fact, she was downright rude.

We had to scramble to find a new place to stay for the night. [The Rip Van Winkle Campground served us well. The owner even told my boyfriend that he would wait up for us (until 10) and come to check us in when we called the phone at the entrance gate. Definitely more a place for "luxury" camping, as were the only ones there in a tent (and we didn't know about the Halloween party weekend we had driven right into :) but it had what we needed for the night.]

The next morning, on our way to our day hike, I called North-South Lake to confirm I still had my reservation for that night, at least. The woman at the desk asked me, in an annoyed tone, "You are coming, tonight, right?"

We finally pulled in around 6 pm on night 2 of my reservation. They had no explanation or apology, other than "yeah, we've had this problem before with Reserve America." Needless to say there was no monetary refund, either.

In addition to the hassle, the campsites are very small. (Loop 7, 200) There were 4 of us on the trip, and one campsite was really tight. Our two (small) cars barely fit. The "fire ring" (as they promote them on their website) is really a small fire place. And the ground is flat, but covered in rocks. By far the hardest ground I've ever tried to sleep on. Even after clearing the area as best we could, and sleeping on a sleeping pad, it was painful.

I'm not too familiar with this area, but there seem to be plenty of campsites to choose from. I'll never visit North-South Lake again.

Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
7  Thank JerseyQ
Reviewed 12 September 2010

I've been to North South Lake quite a few times over the last 5 years. I can't think of a bad thing to say about this campground. Very clean and comfortable for tent campers like us. The grounds are excellent for hiking and just enjoying the great outdoors. The sites are spread out nicely and the view of the mountains from the lake is fantastic!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
5  Thank heavy11421

Been to North-South Lake Campground? Share your experiences!