“So happy that we stopped for the night”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Haines Falls
North-South Lake Campground
Reviewed 22 June 2014

What a great find. We were looking for a place to camp en route from Maryland to Burlington, VT and this was the best place. We camped in 170 - great spot with a private walk down to the lake. Bathrooms were clean and they had a recycling center at the entrance to deposit trash and recycling items. Overall, we had a great stay and would come back again.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank canesgirl2006

Reviewed 7 May 2014

I have been coming to North-South Lake literally every year since I was a 9 month old infant, and I will never stop going. Every since I got my drivers license, I have made it a point to go every year, as many times as my employer allows PTO. Everything about this campground is amazing. The views, the sites, the hikes, the surrounding towns, the scenic drive up. I've been at MANY different state, county, and town/privately owned campgrounds, all over the east coast, and for some reason NONE compare to NSL. If you're not a woodsy person, or are a trailer camper, you're better off elsewhere. But if you like to car camp, or backpack in from a neighboring town, and great views, clean facilities, nice people, and being a short distance from places like Hunter Mtn, Woodstock, and the Kaaterskill Falls, then this is DEFINITELY the place for you.

Room Tip: no rooms, just sites, any site is amazing though i recommend staying clear from loop 7 as its near t...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank bill r
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Great campground for families. My kids loved this place. Bathrooms are clean. Each site has a table and grill. You can rent a boat or kayak for the whole day to enjoy the lake. You can walk to Haines waterfalls or go by car (5 minutes drive)

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 October 2013

My husband and I usually backpack for solitude, but when we go camping with our group of friends, this is where we end up returning every year. The campsites (other than the ones right by the lake) are all secluded and separated by pretty dense tree cover. The bathrooms are very clean and new, which our friends always appreciate. Great showers and hot water at the slop sink - all the basic comforts that make camping that much easier. The lakeside rents kayaks for hot summer days, and there are several hiking trails that start off right at the campground itself. There's a supermarket (Tops, I believe) only a couple miles down the road in Tannersville, and the Stewarts a mile down the road makes it fantastically convenient to keep stocked on all camping needs.

Favourite campground by far, although try and book in advance because it's very popular especially in the summer and fall.

We've seen bears the last couple times (which I love!), so remember to follow the forest wardens advice.

Room Tip: The campsites with lake views have the advantage of being by the lake, but very little tree cover or...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank ScooterNY
Reviewed 25 September 2013 via mobile

This is such a beautiful campground. With spacious tent sites and great facilities. The lakes are breathtaking and you couldn't ask for a better spot to camp in New York State. This was after Labor Day so swimming was Over for the season. That's ok because the Catskills mountains in the fall can be CHILLY! High was around 60 degrees. I loved our firepit at our campsite it was just built so well. We cooked chili and cornbread in cast iron on the grate and it was very sturdy. Will definitely be going back.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 21 September 2013

North/South Lake campground is a state run campground located on the edge of the Catskill forest preserve. The park is very large and VERY popular. Because of this I highly recommend make reservations as early as possible (believe reserve america allows you to book up to 8 months in advance).

The campground itself has 7 different loops. Most of the sites generally are about the same size. All have a large fire pit, and there is running water along the path at about every third or fourth site. You'll need a bucket to transport it back to yours. Some of the sites do have a rocky floor so if you are tent camping be sure to bring some padding or an air mattress. Each loop has its own bathroom which is generally kept very clean despite being used by everyone. The bathrooms also have private shower booths that have hot water (try to visit during off hours because the hot water can run out). The lake and beach area offer canoe rental and fishing. There are also tons of trails for bike riding, great for the kids. There is simply fun for all ages at this place.

The best part in my opinion is all the hiking available in the area. The views are simply AMAZING. Perched up on the edge of the Catskills you can see clear across the Hudson river valley and into the neighboring states for as far as the eye can see. And this is just the view from one of the many scenic stops along the hiking trails (make sure you see Sunset rock, BREATHTAKING!). There is also Kaaterskill falls close by (one of the tallest falls in the Eastern US). If you happen to visit during the summer months I highly recommend looking along rt 23a for a dirt covered parking lot on the South side of the road because there is an amazing swimming hole nearby (you park on the side of the road and walk along Kaaterskill creek until you come to it). You can also find horseback riding in the area.

Overall I would say this is an absolute must visit for anyone that lives in NY state or closeby areas and enjoys camping.

***NOTE***
In reviewing other peoples reviews I noticed a high amount of reviews offering 1 star due to fear of bears. I felt like I was reading some horror novel about a rabid cujo type bear attacking campers. Ridiculous! This campground is outstanding. I have been visiting N/S lake about bi-yearly since I was 12 and have never felt even the slightest bit in danger. Keep your site clean, keep anything remotely touched by food in your car and you will be fine. If a visitor doesn't take the time to do their homework about what camping really involves, that isn't the fault of the facility. Its unfair to leave a bad review simply because you were scared all night thinking you heard a bear (news flash, raccoon make noises that sound like an animal much larger in size).

Sorry for ranting but I felt compelled to comment on this. So LET EVERYONE BE WARNED! This campground is on the edge of the Catskill forest preserve. Wild animals live in forests.....hence...you might actually see wild animals! Amazing right? Ok, I'm done! =)

Room Tip: Loops 5 and 6 offer lake side camp sites. An absolute must if you bring your own canoe, and the view...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
7  Thank David E
Reviewed 18 September 2013

This was my first time camping in 30 years - and I sure was christened LOL!

FYI: RAINY SEASON SEPTEMBER (AND JUNE):
Unfortunately I got rained (poured) on a few times - one was a severe thunderstorm (scary.)
When we got home I did a historical check on the area weather. Both September AND June are rainy months. My husband and I RUSHED to the lake and the trails when it wasn't raining, because we never knew when it was going to begin to rain again. Also prepare for PITCH BLACK nights. This is real, backwoods, in the mountains CAMPING. The sites all seem nice but staff told me if you're unhappy with your site they WILL let you relocate.

A FEW FUNNY THINGS:
With much trepidation I showered with daddy long legs (there were like TWENTY of them on the shower wall,) screamed when I saw a few critters (including some sort of lizard that nearly ran across my toes) AND had a somewhat odd stranger approach my campsite from the woods one evening (he turned out to be harmless.)

SHOWER TIP FOR THE GIRLS*** Shower in your bathing suit so you can walk back to your campsite in it.
The showers are private stalls. There IS a dressing area with a bench - but the walls/floors are always wet - probably due to extreme dampness (I learned that everything is soggy with camping.) I could not get dressed here because if my PJ bottoms (or shorts) touched the floor they would have been wet & yucky. The bench is also wet. (I zipped my backpack & hung it on the one hook.)

NATURE:
Even with the less than desirable weather etc I do love nature - and I LOVED camping! This campground is clean and the sites are nice - but ladies - you should know they are not grass - they are dirt. It will take a lot of work to keep things clean. I'm not afraid of work - to me it was worth it. (Bring wipes, a broom and a dustpan.) The Lake is pretty and we enjoyed a nice canoe ride between rain storms, even got a few nice photos!

IF YOU HAVE CHILDREN:
Check out one of the loops near the beach/lake - because that is where the children gravitate. Otherwise it's a really long walk - could be a few miles from some of the other loops. I checked and the lake sites are nearly always booked - so plan in advance. There's a nice breeze from the Lake - great if you're camping in summer heat. (Park staff told me the sites directly ON the lake can get windy at night though, so be prepared.)

BLACK BEAR!!!
The stories about the bears are true - you MUST keep your food secure in car or RV at ALL TIMES when leaving your campsite - or you WILL have bears. We did hear racoons at night in our campsite but we had put everything away so their efforts were fruitless :)

This is TRUE camping without ANY resort amenities (no pool, store etc.) If you love nature and just keep in mind that it IS camping and you will be "roughing it" for a period of time I hope you will enjoy it as much as I did :)

Room Tip: ***Stay near the lake if you have children - the kids seemed to love it there
Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
#1 of 7 in Windham
Hotel Vienna
Hotel Vienna
#2 of 7 in Windham

Been to North-South Lake Campground? Share your experiences!