“Just Lovely”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Haines Falls
North-South Lake Campground
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We camped here one night, and I must say it is one of the nicest campgrounds you will find! We were impressed with how quiet people were, and the sites have trees between them so you don't feel so crammed in. There are two lakes where one can rent various kinds of watercraft that do not have motors. There is Kaaterskill Falls to hike to, not far from the campground, but the path [if one can call it that] is very rocky and steep. We called it quits after just going a short way; and there is a beautiful waterfall right where the trail to the other one begins; which is right beside the road, so we just enjoyed that one.

Room Tip: sites beside the lake are extra scenic.
Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 6 August 2014

We did not use the campground, although the sites looked pretty good. We used the park for its day use beach and found an excellent stop to just sit in our beach chairs at the edge of the water and relax. Swimming area was nearby and looked like the water was clear and cool (elevation 2400 feet), and many folks were using kayaks and row boats on the lake. Bathrooms were clean, but remember this is a state park and not a hotel. My wife sat in her chair and knitted, while i had a book open on my kindle, and just enjoyed the fresh air, sun and calming environment.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Charlie S
Reviewed 18 July 2014

I am not much of an outdoors person and was very worried about staying here with my husband and our two small children after reading information about the bears. However, we had no problems whatsoever and enjoyed a really wonderful stay. The ranger who checked us in was very friendly and reassuring, answering all of my questions about the possibility of bears in the campground. While she did not say we wouldn't see them, she helped me to realize that if we followed the regulations set forth by the park we would not be in danger. She was right. While our trip was not necessarily relaxing (I don't think camping is ever really relaxing with all the set-up and clean-up involved) we spent the day at South lake and enjoyed the beach and pedal boats ($6 for an hour, can only). I'm already planning our trip for next summer and would recommend this campground. Loop 6 seems like the best if you like to be near other campers and close to nice bathrooms. Also the kids completed a booklet we got when we checked in and received patches, which they loved!

Room Tip: Loop 6 seems to be the best. South lake was nicer than north lake in my opinion as it has canoe and...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jem W
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We've been to the N/S Lake Campground twice. Once we were right on the lake and the second time we were not. If you can book super early and get a spot on the lake we HIGHLY recommend it. There are few camping views that match it.
The hikes are spectacular and versatile. One can easily end up on the ledge of a catskill mountain and no sooner be at the base of the lake taking a swim.
this past trip we did have a couple issues:
1. There was an excess of loudness between various campsites. We felt that in part it could be due to the lack of patrols. We only saw one patrol the entire weekend. We're not sticklers on over site or noise regulation. So, it didn't dampen our spirits too much, but it was an observation.
2. the trail maps and some of the trails themselves seemed as though they'd not been updated in a while for markers. So, we had quite a few pauses to be sure we were where we needed to be.
Both of these issues, are minute and probably due to a lack of funds.
So, go! and if you're around for a few days also check out near by Tannersville. The main st. strip offers a bouquet of interesting little shops, bars, restaurants, etc..

Room Tip: book early! If you're brining a dog be sure the rabies vaccination info tells when the vaccine...
Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Kidd1983
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We recently stayed at this campground in Loop 7. We were very pleased with the space we had for camping and especially the privacy. We arrived 1 hour after the designated check In time. Our campsite was a total mess. The fireplace was full of burning glass bottles, trash all over the place not to mention the 100 cigarette butts. We had to go to the office and ask someone to please clean up. We were not able to use our fireplace for 2 days due to the hot glass and coals. The groundskeeper said she could not touch it. She brought in a shovel and started picking up trash. I asked her for a rake and she did not have one. We had a small creek next to us and it was full of charcoal, dirty clothes, and trash. I was very displeased to think that someone would leave such a mess. We were there for 6 days and we never saw anyone come around and clean the fireplaces or the camping areas after people leave. We have stayed at many state parks and this is the first one we noticed that no one cleans up the camping areas. I can't imagine what this place will look like in 10 years if campers just toss their trash in the woods.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank wenjay24
Reviewed 22 June 2014

What a great find. We were looking for a place to camp en route from Maryland to Burlington, VT and this was the best place. We camped in 170 - great spot with a private walk down to the lake. Bathrooms were clean and they had a recycling center at the entrance to deposit trash and recycling items. Overall, we had a great stay and would come back again.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank canesgirl2006
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I have been coming to North-South Lake literally every year since I was a 9 month old infant, and I will never stop going. Every since I got my drivers license, I have made it a point to go every year, as many times as my employer allows PTO. Everything about this campground is amazing. The views, the sites, the hikes, the surrounding towns, the scenic drive up. I've been at MANY different state, county, and town/privately owned campgrounds, all over the east coast, and for some reason NONE compare to NSL. If you're not a woodsy person, or are a trailer camper, you're better off elsewhere. But if you like to car camp, or backpack in from a neighboring town, and great views, clean facilities, nice people, and being a short distance from places like Hunter Mtn, Woodstock, and the Kaaterskill Falls, then this is DEFINITELY the place for you.

Room Tip: no rooms, just sites, any site is amazing though i recommend staying clear from loop 7 as its near t...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank bill r

Been to North-South Lake Campground? Share your experiences!