“The place to stay in Hamilton!”

Patricia's Guest House
Ranked #2 of 6 Hamilton B&B and Inns
Alexandria, Virginia
“The place to stay in Hamilton!”
Reviewed 1 June 2012

When we recently spent a few days in Hamilton, we stayed at Patricia's - a beautifully renovated Victorian B&B right in the heart of Hamilton. This is not your typical B&B - each of the clean, spacious rooms has a king size bed, a large flatscreen TV, a modern and lovely bathroom with a fabulous shower, beautiful hardwood floors, and individually controlled radiant heating in the floors. These rooms are as good or better than many high-end hotel suites. The renovation preserved and updated the essential Victorian charm with a harmonious blending of the owner's warm and modern aesthetic sense to achieve a lovely, charming, and relaxing B&B. Don't miss sitting on the front porch and watching the world go by from your rocking chair.

Patricia's is a short walk to Colgate, one block from the wonderful Farmer's Market, and one block from downtown Hamilton. I particularly enjoyed walking to the Barge Canal Coffee Co. in the morning for espresso as good as in Europe. The seasonal Farmer's Market has a wide variety of products and produce from local farmers, artisans, and craftsmen. Don't miss it if you are there on Saturday.

The breakfasts at Patricia's are extraordinary - she offers a different hot dish everyday, lovely fruit, juices, breads, jams from local producers, eggs from locally produced pasture raised chickens, real maple syrup - no skimping on this breakfast! The eggs were simply amazing - rich, dark yokes with wonderful flavor. Patricia will even make waffles and other specialties, if you desire. Breakfast is not to be missed!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Richard G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
New York
Reviewed 14 May 2012

My husband and I had stayed at the newly renovated Colgate Inn last October, which was very nice, when we brought our daughter to visit Colgate. This time I was traveling solo while she stayed in the dorms for a revisit. I wanted a more intimate atmosphere, and went online to Tripadvisor to find the newly opened bed and breakfast, Patricia's. It was a wonderful choice - a convenient walking distance to town. Loved her decorating style - neutral backgrounds for her wonderful art collections, comfortable seating in the living rooms to stretch out and read, or watch tv. I stayed in the Mavis Suite on the first floor - small, but comfortably furnished with a queen sized bed and slipper chair - plenty of fluffy towels and loved the lavender oatmeal soap. The only thing missing was a box of tissues. There was some noise in the early morning hours as people were on their way home from the bars - for those who are more noise sensitive, Patricia has earplugs available. Breakfast was very good - scrambled eggs, ham, croissants, homestyle jams, fresh fruit, cereals, etc. Patricia is very personable and had great recommendations for dining. The Colgate Inn was closed due to a water main break, so I had dinner at the Seven Oaks golf club, which was mediocre - a large party and indifferent service. We had lunch at La Iguana, however, which was very good. I would definitely recommend Patricia's when visiting Hamilton!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank RetroKitch
Transplanted Los Angelena
Reviewed 6 April 2012

Patricia's is new and sparkly clean. Our bedroom felt a bit like a hotel room (little character) and was very comfortable. Would suggest adding one more luggage rack to the room as there
was nowhere to put a second bag. We would return here due to the proximity to the campus which was a very easy walk.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Isabelinha55
Tarpon Springs, Florida
Reviewed 8 March 2012

My daughter and I stayed at Patricia's earlier this week. We came to town to tour the Colgate campus. We booked the Suite Raymond so that both of us would have our own living space. This is an extraordinarily nice hotel!! Patricia was very cordial and serves up a tasty breakfast. At night, we walked downtown for pizza at Oliveri's. Even if you are not a B&B person (like me) you'll love this place.

Room Tip: Patricia's has rooms for all needs. I chose the Suite Raymond so that my daughter could have he...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Dave F
Boston, MA U.S.
Reviewed 3 March 2012

We stayed in Patricia's for 2 nights. The house is very nicely furnished, and the bedrooms are stylish and comfortable. It is a newly renovated Victorian. Our room had a king-sized bed, flat-screen TV, tasteful lighting,and a big bathroom with big fluffy towels. Right outside our room was a Keurig machine and biscotti. The breakfast which is included, was delicious--right out of Martha Stewart! Best of all, Patricia's is a one minute walk into the center of town. It's a good alternative when the Colgate Inn is sold-out. In fact, it is now our first choice when we go to Hamilton.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank ljbayer
New York City, New York
Reviewed 28 January 2012

Having never stayed at a B&B before, I wasn't sure what to expect, but booked anyway because there was a lot going on in Hamilton and there were few rooms available in town. Let's just say I was more than pleasantly surprised! The rooms and house were absolutely gorgeous, spotless, and luxurious. My room boasted a lovely fireplace that made it extra cozy and a brand new and spacious bathroom. Patricia puts together a fabulous spread for breakfast with homemade treats like croissants and popovers, fresh fruit, eggs, and yogurts - lots of choices and everything was delicious! The B&B is located only one block from the center of town which is exactly what I was looking for. It made getting around Hamilton super easy and bearable during the infamous cold and snowy winters. I can't wait to go back for a spring/summer visit to enjoy the outdoor porch. I plan to stay here for all my future trips to Hamilton - I just hope they don't get booked up!

Room Tip: I stayed in the Erik Suite - I believe it's one of the larger rooms with a king-sized bed. It a...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank CYL13
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed 7 December 2011

We visited Patricia's in November 2011 for a girl's weekend and fell in love with the place. The owners had just opened the B&B, after fully renovating this old Victorian home, so everything was brand new and immaculate. I stayed in "Erik's Suite" - suggested by the owner because I wanted a really firm mattress. My room had a big flatscreen on the wall, a lovely fireplace, and a huge bathroom. My two girlfriends loved their rooms as well. We particularly loved the breakfasts, which one morning included this amazing fruit salad type dish served in a hollowed out grapefruit with a meringue type topping. Even the simple scrambled eggs were crazy good - we asked her secret and were informed the eggs are literally right off a nearby farm. Hamilton is where Colgate University is located, so it has that small town quaintness but combined with a pretty cool grouping of folks. There's several cute shops, a movie theatre, and an adorable coffee shop - and everything was within a couple blocks of the B&B.

Room Tip: I have a pet peeve about old, soft mattresses in B&B's - so I asked during booking for the r...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank MaryEliseM
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hamilton
Hampton Inn & Suites New Hartford
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Verona
Homewood Suites By Hilton New Hartford Utica
Vernon Downs Hotel
Vernon Downs Hotel
#3 of 3 in Vernon
The Hotel at Turning Stone Resort
Fairfield Inn & Suites Verona

Been to Patricia's Guest House? Share your experiences!