“Only place to stay”
Review of Colgate Inn

Colgate Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hamilton
Reviewed 17 September 2011

This is a consistent hotel with warm clean rooms. Recently renovated with an old time charm. Restaurant is good but I would skip the breakfast there

• Stayed: September 2011

Reviewed 7 September 2011

Upon my travels to Hamilton, NY I stumbled upon a wonderful little paridise. Everything from the moment I had walked into the doors, until I carried my luggage out was just simply terrific. I had the Lobster Mac & Chesse for dinner and have to say, it is the best I have ever had! I was smart enough to book a suite for the evening, and have to pass along it is well worth the extra money. The pillows were very comfortable and the bed was terrific. Along with the great food and ambiance the staff at the Colgate Inn is by far its best asset. I want to especially point out that the front desk clerk Nicky was an amazing individual. I had to have asked her for 25 different things and she was able to provide me with them all with a smile. She is a wonderful employee and a great asset to the Colgate Inn. I reccommend this Inn with 100% of my being, if you have the need to travel to Hamilton, Ny or the surrounding areas make sure this is the place you stay, I promise you wont be sorry, and also if possible spring for the Suite!

Room Tip: Request a suite
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 September 2011

Ten years ago this place was rundown and dingy. As the only game in town, it didn't really matter because, let's face it, your next best option was some 30 to 40 minutes away. But, as the university poured money into the downtown, I imagine the Inn started looking even shabbier. Alas, this is a completely different hotel. It still brims with 19th century charm and character but they updated the decor and even the layout. Soothing grays and brand new bathrooms along with flat screen tvs are what you'll find in the rooms. The restaurant has grown a nice patio with live music and is quite charming. This doesn't feel like it should be in Hamilton, NY. It's too nice, too sheik.

Some things could be better. Flies buzzed at a good clip around the breakfast buffet. In fact, there was an expired fly (perhaps he ate too many muffins) on my bathroom floor. The staff doesn't quite have the professionalism that you'd expect. It was a bit too much, "Hey! How'ya doin?" The receptionist, perched just outside the morning dining room, fielded call after call from friends and family who appeared to be various stages of crisis. The bartender's recall of how to make various drinks was rather inadequate and a bit surprising.

All of this can be overlooked. You're in the 13346. Be thankful that there's a property as nice as the Colgate Inn. It's a bit pricey but still worth it. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank NNW
Reviewed 15 August 2011

I almost don't want to write this review so I can keep the Inn all to myself! We booked last minute and didn't know what to expect with the minimal amount of pictures on their website. What a pleasant surprise...the Inn is gorgeous! The rooms are very large and beautifuly decorated with very comfortable beds. The prices at the restaurant and bar are very good and the beer selection was great. Our waitress at the restaurant was so friendly and provided us with tips on places to go surrounding the area. We will be back!!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank travelbeezus
Reviewed 17 July 2011

Very nice place. Air conditioner in our room was a bit annoying and sheets could have been a better quality, but other than those minor negatives - the place was perfect.

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed 17 July 2011

The Colgate Inn is in a great spot if your in Hamilton, NY. The staff were friendly, (though I did see the waiter at the breakfast buffet rearranging the melon slices with his bare hands - yuck), the room was clean, and we had a nice stay.

However, being the only game in town allows The Inn to charge what we thought was a high price for a one night stay.... The price range quoted on the website was significantly lower than what we ended up paying. When we asked about that, the staff member said that the IT person had been asked to fix it on numerous occasions, but hadn't. Yes, I understand that its a historic building, but the rooms are small and the noise from the partiers in the bar downstairs makes the rate seem steep.

• Stayed: July 2011
2  Thank Ikimashitaka
Reviewed 1 May 2011

The hotel is very nice (especially since the recent renovations) and is the most convenient option for those visiting Colgate University. The huge negative, however, was that almost everything going on outside our bedroom was audible, whether our neighbor showering, people talking/laughing in the hallway, or whether people/students walking past the hotel outside....I'm a heavy sleeper, but had a really difficult time going to sleep until a few hours after I wanted to.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tshell01
melittlejohn, Manager at Colgate Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2011

Dear tshell01,

Thank you for your recent review of the Colgate Inn. As you noted, we have just completed major renovations to the building, including the hotel rooms as well as dining and event areas. While the renovation project updated most of the hotel, the building itself is an historic landmark built in 1925. The charm of an historic building has not come without a few downsides, such as the noisiness you experienced. Also, with the arrival of spring and nice weather, noisy evenings outside the Inn are a product of the bustling downtown nightlife of Hamilton. I would like to thank you for bringing the problem to our attention. It is very important to us that our guests are comfortable, and of course, able to sleep. We are working to correct this issue, and hope that you will return to the Colgate Inn on your next visit to Colgate University.
Colgate Inn Management

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hamilton
La Quinta Inn & Suites Verona
Hampton Inn & Suites New Hartford
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Verona
Vernon Downs Hotel
Vernon Downs Hotel
#3 of 3 in Vernon
Homewood Suites By Hilton New Hartford Utica
Hampton Inn & Suites Cazenovia

Been to Colgate Inn? Share your experiences!