“Spectacular Renovation brings this Inn to the top of the heap.”
Review of Colgate Inn

and 1 more site!
Colgate Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hamilton
New York City, New York
“Spectacular Renovation brings this Inn to the top of the heap.”
Reviewed 2 October 2013

I'd stayed in this hotel several years ago. It is, quite frankly, the only game in town. And what a pretty town it is! Colgate University dominates and the Inn seems to be the center of the town's social life. They've done a magnificent job with the rooms. Traditional elements like four poster beds updated with contemporary colors and great decorative touches like antique clocks, throw pillows and cashmere blankets. Most relaxing. The restaurant is first rate and I must say very well-priced. The food and service cannot be faulted. This is an oasis in a part of New York State that could really use one. The rolling hills and beautiful farmland has suffered economically and now seems en route to a comeback. But the contrast between the Colgate Inn and the sad state of some nearby towns is quite severe.

Room Tip: The hotel isn't exactly a bargain hunter's dream. I'd go with the least expensive room...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Utica, New York
Reviewed 30 September 2013

On a 5 star rating scale, no better than a 3. Maybe a 2 1/2. The rooms are small and a bit overpriced because there are so few good hotels in the area serving Colgate University. Food is no better than a bit above average. It is a quiet place, with traditional setting. Because the options are limited, this is the place you'd probably stay. But it's not the place I'd head to if I wanted to enjoy a romantic weekend with my wife. A little tiny, a little dark, and the little problems that come with a place that could see better days. But isn't seeing them yet.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Beaufort
Reviewed 18 September 2013

We have stayed at the Colgate Inn many times over the years - since two of our children graduated from the University some years ago. Now we go back sometimes in the summer to enjoy the university's golf course. The Inn has changed a great deal over the years, and the renovations made several years ago were sorely needed. I love that they have taken the older structure, and kept the classic feel to it. That being said, the rooms vary greatly in size, depending on the location. Our most recent stay was in one of the smaller rooms with only one window, so it seemed dark. Lighting in the bathroom was terrible. There was a problem with one of the beds. And the bathtub drain wasn't working, so the water in the tub ran out as quickly as it ran in. Never good when one is trying to run the bathtub jets! The girl at the front desk indicated that there was no other available room for the night with two beds, unless we wanted the $300 a night suite. So we stayed put. However, the next morning, the manager graciously remedied the situation by moving us, and we spent a much happier second night. Our dinner in the Inn's restaurant was very good, and the next night's meal at the sister property, The Hamilton Inn was even better. Given the options in this small town for an overnight stay, I would always choose The Colgate Inn, but I'd ask to see my room before checking in.

Room Tip: The pool isn't rating is not really accurate because there isn't one, nor is there a fitness...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Londonderry, New Hampshire
Reviewed 29 August 2013

Chose the Colgate Inn for the 2nd night of our 3 night college road trip. The Colgate Inn is a very peaceful, traditional & classic hotel. The university has done a great job making an elegant statement. I chose the Inn due to its proximity to Colgate and the ease of getting to the school early in the morning for an information meeting and tour. We had dinner on the road no comment on an evening meal but breakfast was quite good.

I would choose the Colgate Inn if in the area again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Chesterfield, New Jersey
Reviewed 28 July 2013

We ate at the Colgate Inn when dropping our son off for summer camp at the university; based on that experience, and the elegance of the lobby, we were thrilled to get a reservation to stay for the weekend we returned to bring him home. Based on the public rooms on the first floor (and, frankly, on the price), I expected to be splurging for a luxury experience. What we got was a room in which the air conditioning simply shut down, in the middle of the night, and the bathtub didn't drain. For almost $200, that's simply not the kind of thing I expect.

A few specifics: as other have noted, the rooms *are* nicely appointed. And small. (That much, I expected in an older building, and take no issue with.) The keys are traditional metal keys-- but I see no reason why two of these couldn't be issued as easily as one; my husband and I spent the weekend trading it back and forth. A note to fellow travellers: guests at the inn may use the Colgate University fitness center for free (this information was printed on the cardboard folder that held the room key, but no one mentioned it on check in, and I didn't see it until my window of opportunity had closed).

Is it convenient? You bet. It's also lovely to see an older facility renovated, instead of replaced by something new and less unique. So in short, I feel that either they should take better care of details and go for top drawer, or they should let a bit of air out of their prices.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank N Pavlovsky W
Chesterfield, NJ
Reviewed 27 July 2013

Room was nicely appointed but VERY small (half size of a standard room and bath) although shower/tub was super slow in draining. Air conditioning worked all day and stopped at night -- I got up several times to see what was going on -- and came back in the morning. When I complained at the desk in the morning I was told that I should have called down since they could control it from the desk. Would have been nice to know since I didn't call since I thought I would have people in my room at 3 am. Also made me wonder if they turned it off late at night and hoped no one noticed...... Again it was a nice place but generally an average experience and probably would have been more acceptable if the nightly rate was about $30 to $40 less per night. Disappointing experience after looking forward to staying at this Inn.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Weism
Palos Heights, Illinois
Reviewed 25 July 2013

Like several of the other reviewers we were in town to visit the namesake University which owns this hotel. It has undergone a series of renovations over the past 10 years with the goal of creating a "top flight Inn in Hamilton" and they have succeeded. The elegant, colonnade facade stands out in comparison to the other buildings in the small downtown area of Hamilton. This elegance carries on into the interior where the decor includes leather settees, plush couches, oil landscape paintings, and wood "tripod" floor lamps. The reception is just off to your right when you enter the lobby. Staff were friendly and helpful. The parking is in the back.

We stayed on the 3rd floor in a 2-bed room. It was cozy but not cramped by any means. There was adequate closet space. The bathroom was small but still had a full bathtub. The room and common areas were well-kept. We slept well.

There is a bar and restaurant which serves decent food. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner are served.

Colgate University is just a short walk south down Broad Street.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hamilton
Hampton Inn & Suites New Hartford
Homewood Suites By Hilton New Hartford Utica
Patricia's Guest House
Patricia's Guest House
#2 of 6 in Hamilton

Been to Colgate Inn? Share your experiences!