“Delightful”

and 1 more site!
Colgate Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hamilton
Reviewed 31 October 2009

Terrific stay! I was graciously received, had a nice room with all the amenities including Wi-Fi and complimentary continental breakfast. Dinner in their tavern was very good – friendly staff, nice atmosphere, imaginative food. They care enough to bring in local produce, artisan baked goods (admittedly from an affiliated company), feature seasonal menu items, and to have 5 local craft brews on tap. All for less than the price of a typical Hampton Inn. For context, I accumulated enough Hilton Honors points in 2008 for my family to stay nine free nights in Italy, so I’ve been in a few hotels. I cannot fathom the negative comments. If you are looking for a sterile experience in an anonymous, cookie-cutter hotel whose idea of breakfast is Trix and Sugar Pops served on Styrofoam with plastic utensils, complemented by a Costco box of muffins and sweet rolls, then stay at a Hampton, you’ll be happy there. If you like human interaction with the staff, a welcoming atmosphere, real plates, metal utensils, and table cloths, then the Colgate Inn is a step up for no incremental money. Oh, and you can actually take a walk around picturesque Hamilton, as opposed to being stuck on a highway access road five miles out of town across the way from the Anywhere, USA mall (Applebee’s, anyone?). Do I have quibbles? I have quibbles with every place I have ever stayed. The breakfast room is too dark and cold, the Wi-Fi seems slow. Yes, the bathroom is small, so what, I was not planning on holding meetings in there. I guess they should put out free coffee and cookies in the lobby, like other hotels do. That's about it in the complaints dept.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
3  Thank eastgrand

Reviewed 1 October 2009

I am an alum who was supposed to speak at Colgate. I had to cancel more than 24 hours before the reservation due to illness, and was charged the full price of the room. I was not told of the 48 hour cancellation policy when I booked the room. I will never stay at the Colgate Inn again. The University might get more alumni donations if their alumni were treated better.

Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank jbcstrong
Reviewed 20 March 2009

After reading the reviews here, I was worried about staying at the Colgate Inn. However, we were planning to visit Colgate, and it is the most convenient. They are in the process of upgrading the rooms, including new mattresses. We stayed in adjoining rooms. My room had been upgraded, but my son's had not. My mattress was fine. I asked him if his mattress was good, and he said it was fine.

My room was nice and so was my son's. I had dinner in the restaurant, and it was fine. They were happy to wrap up a dinner for my son, and the waitress even offered to deliver it to his room. The continental breakfast was fine, but far from exceptional. The reservations person I had was very nice, and gave me a great off-season rate.

If you are including Colgate as a high-priority college, stay here. You are right next to the campus. Your child can see the night life (or lack of) in downtown Hamilton.

4  Thank ihopeihelped
Reviewed 29 October 2008

We stayed here 2 nights on a college tour. The inn is very lovely--the rooms and bathrooms are small, but it's what I expected from this type of lodging.

Everything was very clean, and the bathroom amenities were upscale (Bath and Bodyworks products). The problem was, the beds were some of the most uncomfortable I have ever slept on. My husband and I could barely get any sleep because of this.

We ate at one of the restaurants (a pub, the others are not open all week). The food and drinks were quite good, and the service was excellent. The continental breakfast was OK--the usual cereals, bagels, and muffins.

The town itself is pretty and the Inn is just a few minutes from Colgate University. There are some good casual dining spots nearby.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Neurogirl
Reviewed 10 September 2008

As an alum of the university, I tend to make it through Hamilton every few years, usually staying at the Colgate Inn.

I've noticed that every year the inn gets dirtier, less-well maintained, and old. This year I noticed that they had dumped a lot of money into the lobby and entry areas, which do look quite nice.

The rooms, on the other hand, are totally unacceptable for a campus inn. In short: they look like they are from a highway Econolodge in Wichita. The carpets are filthy. The rooms are musty. The bathrooms are tiny, and old: linoleum floors are peeling up, and the laminate countertops are peeling apart. The furniture has not been updated for 15 years- trust me, I was there 15 years ago.

Repairs look like they've been done by a senile handyman with a 5$ budget. Patches of the bathroom walls painted in a mismatched color to cover peeling areas. Areas of cracked ceiling covered with slaps of spackle. Shower tiles bulging from the wall, installed after a repair with caulk. Door security chains installed with decorative screws, now sagging under the weight of the security chain.

My room had hair over the bathtub (not mine) and dirt in all areas where a vacuum couldn't directly reach.

So, here's my point: the university has ownership in the inn, and a significant interest in attracting visiting lecturers, alums and visiting parents. Nobody, but nobody, is going to return to a hotel as disgusting as the Colgate Inn.

Somebody better pony up some cash to redo the place, and pronto. A functioning, clean and elegant hotel is an absolute requirement and I'm shocked that the university has let the hotel get to the point it's at.

• Stayed: September 2008
7  Thank Gate95
Reviewed 4 March 2008

I have stayed in several 'Campus-based' quaint hotels and usually not that impressed. This one was no exception. Having paid the 'rack rate', which was expensive, I expected a lot more. Small rooms,continental breakfast served in a small corner of a hallway, lousy bathtubs with not enough hot water, and no fitness room made the Inn not the best experience. Staff were friendly but I was a bit annoyed when asked if we could check out a bit later as arrived quite late the night before (snowstorm) and paid the full rate. I expected at least an hour but was told ,with reluctance, half an hour.
Perhaps it is just me but I find these campus based Inns (this Inn is about 1/2-3/4 miles from the Colgate campus) to be poor value for the money and this one was one of the weakest.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank knj77
Reviewed 30 January 2008

This inn is warm and full of character. The high-ceiling-ed public and lobby spaces are from the era where space planners did not over-design every inch. The reading room with fireplace is especially welcome on a cold night. The room I had was tastefully decorated and comfortable, although a pretty tight fit, both in the bedroom and bathroom. Desk staff is friendly and quick. Breakfast was adequate (though more fresh fruit would have been welcome), and the bar had a happy and well-behaved crowd all evening. Highly recommended if visiting Colgate.

Stayed: January 2008
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hamilton
Hampton Inn & Suites New Hartford
Homewood Suites By Hilton New Hartford Utica
La Quinta Inn & Suites Verona
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Verona
The Hotel at Turning Stone Resort
TownePlace Suites by Marriott New Hartford

Been to Colgate Inn? Share your experiences!