“Generous Winery”
Review of Heron Hill Winery

Heron Hill Winery
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Heron Hill Winery is nestled into a hillside overlooking scenic Keuka Lake in New York's Finger Lakes region. For over 35 years, Heron Hill has won many awards for its distinctive, elegant wines and continues to be at the forefront of cool climate winemaking. Establishing our heritage among some of the first vinifera wineries in the Finger Lakes, John and Josephine Ingle founded Heron Hill Winery in 1977. Through perseverance and long-term dedication to excellence in winemaking, Heron Hill Winery has become a world-class destination. Heron Hill remains family-owned. For the Ingles, practicing sustainably is a way of life and means giving respect. Respect for the land in how we farm our estate vineyards, and respect for the consumer by offering wines with an authentic sense of place and by providing visitors with a friendly and informative experience. Today, Heron Hill offers over 20 wine varieties; crisp and light Rieslings, aromatic dry Chardonnays, the winery's legendary Eclipse series, complex Pinot Noirs and Cabernet Francs, and specially crafted dessert wines. They are celebrating their 40th anniversary in 2017!
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Heron Hill was the very last of the seven wineries during my bus trip to Keuka Holidays and we arrived about 20 minutes before closing, but they welcomed all 26 of us after we climbed a nasty hill. It was crowded and nobody explained to us about the wines we were tasting. I am not sure if it was lack of knowledge, the crowd I was in, or if it was so late in the day that the staff was tired. Maybe their tiredness paid off for me because they certainly had the most generous tastings. Honestly, one tasting was more like a true glass of wine. I did like the gift shop and the view as the sun set. I will give them an average rating and return someday on a more normal day and hour and see how they really are. If you go in your own car or small vehicle, you can park close and avoid the hill, otherwise be prepared for a steep uphill walk if you go by bus.

There are newer reviews for Heron Hill Winery

Reviewed 18 November 2013

Heron Hill Winery is a place I highly recommend visiting. Every year I return to Heron Hill to sample & purchase their wines, which can appeal to any palate! Tasting Hall Manager, Tambi Schweizer, and the Heron Hill staff are always friendly, upbeat, and very knowledgeable each time I visit. The views overlooking the vineyards and Keuka Lake are beautiful as well. Their gift shop offers a variety of unique wine gifts, along with Heron Hill apparel. I’ve been a return customer for a number of years and Heron Hill Winery is definitely a place worth checking out!

Reviewed 30 October 2013

A great view, friendly people, wine was OK. We ordered a few bottles to ship home. The lake was in view from the winery deck

Reviewed 30 October 2013

Don’t understand what all the hubbub is about their tasting room; yes there is a nice view but no different from other wineries in the area. We were disappointed in the tasting here which was $5 (expensive as compared to other wineries we visited). Our server had very limited knowledge of any of the wines primarily parroting what was written on the provided tasting sheet. She was also disengaged and spent more time checking her phone under the counter than she did engaging with the customers. There was also a nice gift shop with a good variety of items.

Reviewed 21 October 2013

This experience has improved over the year. It is now a major operation. We were there during one of the busiest days of the year and the experience was still quite enjoyable. The tasting experience in general in the finger lakes has become an educational as well as enjoyable experience. If in the area this is one of the wineries I would recommend.