“All flash, average quality ”
Review of Heron Hill Winery

Heron Hill Winery
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Heron Hill Winery is nestled into a hillside overlooking scenic Keuka Lake in New York's Finger Lakes region. For over 35 years, Heron Hill has won many awards for its distinctive, elegant wines and continues to be at the forefront of cool climate winemaking. Establishing our heritage among some of the first vinifera wineries in the Finger Lakes, John and Josephine Ingle founded Heron Hill Winery in 1977. Through perseverance and long-term dedication to excellence in winemaking, Heron Hill Winery has become a world-class destination. Heron Hill remains family-owned. For the Ingles, practicing sustainably is a way of life and means giving respect. Respect for the land in how we farm our estate vineyards, and respect for the consumer by offering wines with an authentic sense of place and by providing visitors with a friendly and informative experience. Today, Heron Hill offers over 20 wine varieties; crisp and light Rieslings, aromatic dry Chardonnays, the winery's legendary Eclipse series, complex Pinot Noirs and Cabernet Francs, and specially crafted dessert wines. They are celebrating their 40th anniversary in 2017!
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“All flash, average quality ”
Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

As is typical with the big, flashy wineries, this one lived up to the stereotype that they're compensating in atmosphere for the lack of quality wines.

My boyfriend and I stopped in here for a tasting on our way up the lake. The building and scenery is gorgeous, but the wines were just okay. Nothing was bad, but it was nothing special.

That said, service was prompt even though they were busy, and the view really can't be beat here.

Buffalo
132 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 124 helpful votes
“Wonderful Winery nestled in the Finger Lakes”
Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

The winery staff was very friendly and knowledgable about their products. Excellent views from inside and out of Keuka Lake and the countryside. The gift shop was fun with loads of unique pieces. We will definitely be returning here !

Visited March 2014
ErinatHeronHill, Manager at Heron Hill Winery, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
We're happy to hear you're looking forward to returning. New gift shop items come in every month. Thanks for taking the time to share a review!
Hopwood pa
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Worst experience”
Reviewed 10 January 2014

The service was very slow and the employees were extremely inconsiderate, rude and ungracious!!!! Would never recommend this winery

Visited September 2013
2 Thank 10servers
ErinatHeronHill, Manager at Heron Hill Winery, responded to this review, 21 January 2014
I’m sorry to hear you had an experience that does not meet the Heron Hill standards. We are very grateful for every guest that chooses to visit our Winery. Some of our employees have formed lifelong friendships with visitors over the years, and even on busy days we strive to offer a friendly & educational tasting. If you still recall details from your September visit – feel free to contact me directly with more information: marketing@heronhill.com
Shelby, North Carolina
“Way Yummy!”
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Don't always go to this location, but always go to Heron Hill when I'm home Thanksgiving week. It wouldn't be a trip to Finger Lakes wine country without it. This year's wine selections are superb and their Game Bird Red is the best I've tasted to date. Tambi has been my tasting expert every time I've visited this location and she is the best. I would highly recommend having her guide your tasting experience. They are even offering free shipping on 12 bottles of wine again this holiday season. Beautiful view, friendly & knowledgeable staff, and fabulous wine - great combination!!

Visited November 2013
Thank you for making Heron Hill wine part of your holiday celebration!
Utica, New York
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Generous Winery”
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Heron Hill was the very last of the seven wineries during my bus trip to Keuka Holidays and we arrived about 20 minutes before closing, but they welcomed all 26 of us after we climbed a nasty hill. It was crowded and nobody explained to us about the wines we were tasting. I am not sure if it was lack of knowledge, the crowd I was in, or if it was so late in the day that the staff was tired. Maybe their tiredness paid off for me because they certainly had the most generous tastings. Honestly, one tasting was more like a true glass of wine. I did like the gift shop and the view as the sun set. I will give them an average rating and return someday on a more normal day and hour and see how they really are. If you go in your own car or small vehicle, you can park close and avoid the hill, otherwise be prepared for a steep uphill walk if you go by bus.

Visited November 2013