“Honest owner!”

Hammondsport Lodging
Ranked #8 of 13 Hammondsport B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 November 2012

We had a very comfortable stay in Champagne House on Nov. 20, and Paul saved us in many ways. First, in terms of comfort, the room was clean, the bed comfortable, the water tasted good, the bathroom was nicely scented, and the gas fireplace very cosy. Second, in terms of helpfulness, Paul gave great information about the town and places to visit. Third, I somehow lost my wedding ring, but we didn't know where, as I didn't discover that until we had left. Paul quickly looked at the room but could not find it. The next day, he contacted us to let us know that he had discovered it in the laundry! Somehow or other, I must have pulled off the ring in my sleep and it got mixed up in the sheets. At other hotels when I have forgotten something there it was never "found" (likely as it disappeared into the cleaner's bag), but here you can rest assured that you will be treated with impeccable honest. Thanks Paul!!!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank storm9

Reviewed 22 October 2012

We spent the weekend in Hammondsport this weekend and stayed at the Champagne House. First the good things. It was quite cute and very clean. The king size bed was fairly comfortable.

However the first thing we noticed was the bathroom smelled like a sewer. Leaving the fan on for a day helped but never got rid of the smell. The gas fireplace was great until the fan kicked in and then it was so noisy that we couldn't sleep. I got up from bed and turned it off but the blower continued clanging and whiring for another 45 minutes. The room had a 2 burner stove which was great because I love to cook but there were no pots or pans rendering the stove useless. This was certainly not worth the $145 a night we were charged. I feel we should have been in luxury for that price. Not a good experience.

Room Tip: Dont choose the King size bed room - I don't know about the rest.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Robert S
Reviewed 26 July 2012

We stayed at the Gulfstream House on two occasions. After an arduous trip from New York City, we were greeted by the landlord, Paul, who was most welcoming way and was very solicitous of our needs. We enjoyed a spacious and comfortable bedroom which was immaculate and well appointed. We slept well on the comfy and cozy beds. The accomodations also featured a clean and modern bathroom with great shower and a thoughtful array of shampoos and soaps.
. There also was a blow dryer provided. The towels, as well as the bed linens were top notch. The room we were given also featured a small sitting room with a fireplace, a kitchenette and television with a good range of channels. Free internet access was also provided. All in all, the Gulfstream House is a great value in historic Hammondsport, NY.
The owner/ operator Paul proved to be an invaluable resource for our venture into the Finger Lakes. We discovered he is eager to share his wealth of knowledge about the area, in particular, the region's wines. When we are in Hammondsport, NY we will always return to this establishment.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Orrin P
Reviewed 5 June 2012

Booked a room sight-unseen, and wasn't sure what to expect. We were very pleasantly surprised! The room was spacious, with double bed and a convertible sleeper, very clean, very quiet, and within walking distance to everything! Overall a most enjoyable experience...Next time we drive from Rochester to Hammondsport we are definitely staying at the Champagne House. I would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 April 2012

We stayed at the Champagne House, room #8, and were quite satisfied with the stay. The rooms were a little old feeling, and had a bit of a scent to them, but seemed clean and weren't offensive.

We had friends who stayed in the Gulfstream house on this trip, and we counted 5 spiders on their ceilings. However, the room in the Gulfstream house was much nicer. To be fair, it was an unseasonably cold, rainy day, so that could have contributed to the spiders. And to be honest, they were just regular little spiders, they weren't Brown Recluses or anything you need to worry about.

On the plus side, Paul, the owner, was very helpful and friendly. The whole transaction was very easy, and overall the stay was great. We had a fireplace in our room, and the bed was pretty comfortable. In the summer time, this is very easily waking distance to the downtown bars and shops. It was 37 and rainy when we were there (pretty much the only possible weather scenario when this wouldn't be a fun walk). The Gulfstream house is closer to the downtown, (1 block versus 3 blocks) but either are a great choice.

Room Tip: We had #8 in the Champagne House, which was in the upstairs, and had a small deck. In the summer tim...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 November 2011

We stayed at the Champagne House room 8, upstairs. This is a house with 3 rooms down and then the 1 upstairs that we stayed in. We were there the Saturday after Thanksgiving. The room was big and very clean. You do have to climb stairs to get to it. It had a small kitchen area with a sink, a coffee pot, small fridge and two burner stove. There were no dishes, cups, silverware, just a couple of plastic cups/spoons, you have to bring your own. There was a small microwave across the room on the table. The bed was king size and very comfortable with plenty of pillows and extra blankets if needed. The TV had cable. The really nice part, which is why I chose this house, was the fireplace. There was a couch across from it were you could sit and enjoy it and drink some wine. Only problem was, it was so warm outside (who would have thought at the end of November) that the fire was a bit too much for us and we opted for the use of the ceiling fan. There are two of them. There was an a/c unit, but the fan was good. The bathroom was large enough with a walk in shower and nice bright lights over the mirror to apply make up. When you stepped outside, before you go down the stairs, there is a porch/deck a couple steps up with table and chairs, that looked like it would be nice to sit at during warmer weather months. The main part of town, Hammondsport, was a nice walk about 3 blocks away. There were a few options for restaurants (we chose Union Block very very good), shops, antiques, bakeries, pubs. After we ate, we stopped at the Village Inn for a couple drinks, it too was very nice. All the people we spoke with, shop keepers, waiters/waitresses, etc were very nice, helpful and informative about their area.
A couple of things that weren't as great. We got into town around 5pm, so it was dark. We met the woman at the other house to check in, she was very nice, she provided us with directions and said that the house would be lit up and that some of the additional lights were on sensors. Also because we were the only people renting a room at the house, we could park in the 1 car area between the house and garage, or we could park at the church across the street. The entrance for the room is at the back of the house. The next part had me a bit nervous, she said the keys were on the mantel and that the door was open. I know this is a small town and probably everyone leaves their doors unlocked, but I am from the city and this made me scared. We were staying at a house, on our own, no phone, it was dark and the doors were unlocked. I would recommend they have the doors locked upon someone coming to stay. I made my husband look all over the room and under the bed. There was access to the attic in the closet, so I made him put the chairs in front of the closet doors and he slept on that side. When we found the little driveway and pulled in, there was a lamp post straight ahead, towards the back of the house, but it wasn't lit. We thought it was a motion sensor, but it wasn't. I left the headlights on for my husband to walk in the pitch black back of the house until finally the light in the back came on. The other lamp posts on the other side of the house were on, the one near our door didn't come on until after we left to go into town after 6 pm. I am glad we got the parking space, because I could not see the parking lot for the church. Only thing in the room was the bathroom door wouldn't shut. I did leave a note for the owner about the door and the lamp post not being lit, so I am sure he will look into these. He was a very nice pleasant gentleman when I spoke with him on the phone.

Room Tip: room 8 had the fridge/microwave/stove that the others didn't
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple