“A Fantastic Place to Stay” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bowen's by the Bays

Bowen's by the Bays
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Hampton Bays
Houston, Texas
“A Fantastic Place to Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2010

Wow! I've had the pleasure of staying at Bowen's by the Bay on several occasions now, and can recommend it with only the utmost enthusiasm! The homey cottages that rest on this beautiful, well-cared for property make you feel comfortable right away, and give you the sense that you have escaped to your own little corner of paradise! The rooms are decorated cozily, and were extremely clean with plenty of space. All of my stays here have been peaceful, relaxing, and picture-perfect. The two owners are warm and welcoming, and the service was impeccable. The location itself is great, and is centrally stationed so that you can easily get to many wonderful spots in the Hamptons. Being at the Bowen's has always added a great deal of enjoyment to my trips there - I look forward to staying with them again in the future for another wonderful experience!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
sebring FL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2010

This resort is the most enjoyable stay possible. Incredible cleanliness, friendliness and value. The resort has an excellent pool, tennis court, (Kevin, an owner, is a teaching pro), and unbelievable gardens. An family owned and operated resort where Eileen and Kevin Bowen will go the ultimate mile to assure a pleasant stay. The rates are very reasonable for the area and the resort in on an acreage isolated from the hubbub of traffic. Overall, I would rate this as the most enjoyable experience I have ever has in the area.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2009

My husband and I and our toy poodle and Cat, just returned from a 5 day stay at Bowens. This property consists of housekeeping cottages and a Motel unit on perfectly manicured grounds. They have a large outdoor swiming pool, a tennis court, where you can take tennis lessons, a play area with monkey bars and swings for the children. We stayed in a two bedroom cottage with a kitchen, and a living room with cable tv . The proprietors and staff were very accommodating. The cottage was neat and clean and very comfortable. This is the fourth year we have visited and plan to go again next year. Edie

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2009

Quaint property, I think they rent the back cottages to locals, as there seemed to be that scenario present. Centrally located on a main access road, across from grocers and McDonalds, Traffic can be an issue getting out of the property. Try to NOT be residing in the cottage by the main road, welcome house or circular drive... they begin tennis lesson at the crack of dawn and you wont be spared.For the amount of money , I prefer to not being woken up by the "racket" and the instructors. Aside form the noise, it was cute, but rooms musty as air conditioners were inefficient for the space they were to cool. Pool, pond and property ok. No maid service and you must put your own garbage out in garbage cans AND seperate all plastics.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Fndolly
NY
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2009

I did what you probably all did, which is check out Tripadvisor to get recommendations as to the best place to stay. I figured 13 excellent reviews, and 1 average, what could go wrong? Well we paid $735 for 2 nights (including taxes) for a cottage with 2 small bedrooms, 1 TV, 1 airconditioning unit. No internet. Couldn't sleep all night because the bed was way too soft, and worse of all the smell of cat urination permeated the cabin. Place reminded me of summer camp cabins, not a unit that is worth the kind of money I'd pay for a luxury hotel. We escaped after the 1st night because we could not bear to spend a second sleepless night here. Can't understand all the positive reviews, but this was a stinky rip-off and probably the worst place I have stayed. Pool was freezing, naturally not heated.
We have had amazing success on Tripadvisor before, staying in a lovely apartment in Manarola, Italy in the summer, staying in an incredible apartment in Italy on Lake Maggiore the previous year, so I thought nothing of renting this based on reviews. But now I'm skeptical of all the other reviews about this place, seriously. No way it could have 13 legitimate Excellents.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
14 Thank NYGuest1
Delaware
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2009

This is my 4th year at Bowens by the Bay. I am from Delaware and usually take 5 days a year off to “recharge”. This will sound crazy, but I take my Golden Retriever with me. It’s just the two of us and it is the only time I can really “unwind”. If you want to relax, this is the place! The staff is superb, service excellent, and the accommodations, well I couldn’t ask for more. When checking in, I was greeted by Eileen Bowen. She handed my “gift bag” with water, some snacks, and dog biscuits. The rules for my dog (i.e. leashes, etc.) were included and specifically addressed to “Abigail”, my Golden. They don’t miss a detail! Upon entering my cottage, the aroma of “cleanliness” was apparent. I took my Golden to South Hampton (highly recommended) for lunch. Many of the restaurants with outside seating are very accommodating to pets. A good run on the beach (after 6pm) is fun, and back to the cottage for some reading. There are many things to do there, pool, tennis courts, tennis lessons, or you can just walk along the 4 acres of ground and adore the flowers! I have never seen such beautiful flowers throughout the property! I would highly recommend, and will be counting the days till I can unwind next year

• Stayed August 2009, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Cape Cod
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2009

Me, my husband and two dogs travel to Long Island in the fall each year to enjoy the grilled corn, shopping and foliage, and Bowens could not be any more accommodating. We stayed in an adorable screened in two bedroom cottage with our dogs. The place was immaculate, comfortable, and the customer service received by the owners (from original email to check out) was top notch! She even came over to our car when we were checking out to pet our dogs :) Can't wait to get back there this October.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Quogue
Shelter Island House
Shelter Island House
#1 of 5 in Shelter Island

Been to Bowen's by the Bays? Share your experiences!