“a tad overrated - website needs updating” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Inn Spot on the Bay

The Inn Spot on the Bay
Ranked #1 of 2 Hampton Bays B&B and Inns
Cutchogue, New York
“a tad overrated - website needs updating”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

I was excited to go there for lunch recently and based on their web menu available on line, it looked like a wonderful assortment of delicious opportunities, so I was willing to make the 30 mile trip to get there. Boy, what a disappointment. Arrived there only to find they didn't serve lunch anymore and haven't for a while. But, a brunch is available on Sundays. I left disappointed, vowed to return at a later date because the grounds and interior looked enchanting. The drinks were overpriced at $15, although the portion was generous, and I felt the entrees were as well. At $36, I expect something special. I had the seafood pot pie and was hoping for a "sea to table" experience. It wasn't. With a hint of lobster meat sprinkled between what tasted like frozen scallops and maine shrimp, it was devoid of flavor even though the filling was placed within a Bechamel under-seasoned sauce. The highlight was the crispy exterior of the pie. The best part was the view from the lawn, which I imagine on Wednesday nights, with music might be the place for a cocktail. Another highlight was the service, efficient, professional and friendly. The restaurant was empty of dinner guests during the height of the season, while down the road the popular hangouts - Oaklands or Sunday's were packed to the gills. I think even the tourist are looking for value and experience this year, and because I feel I was a victim false advertising because they advertised a lunch menu as being available all day and it wasn't, felt that in today's world there is no excuse for false advertising on a proprietary website.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ILOONI

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Palisades Park, New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

The reason why I choose this place was that there was a restaurant and bar on the grounds. However they failed to tell me that both are closed during the week. I literally was the only person staying there. I was there from Monday to Friday and I choose this place because I was staying by myself and wanted a place that I could go and eat and socialize. This place was the complete opposite of what I wanted. To be fair another person arrived on Thursday night the night before I was leaving.

The villa was extremely small for the money. The pics on the website make it seem much bigger than it really is. The wifi doesnt reach out of the main building to the villas. They told me that it probably wouldn't reach if I was using a tablet or phone. They said it should work with a full size computer. I had a laptop, phone, and tablet and none could get it. I am an IT guy and I dont know what they are using to justify that statement. I really could have used that since there was nothing else to do. The TV was a 13 inch 4:3 TV from the early 1990's. The place was clean but they do not provide cleaning unless you indicate it by leaving a sign on your door. Seems kind of odd because the first night I didn't see that and it was cleaned. The second night I didn't put it on and they didn't clean it. So it was pretty inconsistent.

The owners seem have a trailer to do catering at off site locations. The catering seems to be what they are concerned about during the week. I was actually sitting outside by the water one night having a glass of wine (by myself) and some people that I assumed worked there came by an started opening the umbrellas to get them ready for the next day which was Friday my check out date. Oh and they never said a word to me like I wasn't there.

I think on the weekends it may be more happening. I was looking forward to trying the restaurant but never got the chance. Thank God there was a restaurant with a bar within walking distance. However its a busy road with no sidewalk and after a few drinks its a little scary walking home.

So if you want a social place during the week I do not suggest you stay there. I cant speak for the weekends.

Room Tip: If you do stay here during the week ask them for the best villa for the same price. They arent being...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
5 Thank Darren D

Travellers are raving about these Hampton Bays hotels

Levittown, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2013

My fiancee and I found this wonderful spot last month. We met Colette who is one of the owners and the place couldn't have been more perfect for us. Everyone here is very friendly and easy going and they want you to be comfortable and happy here. The the food at the restaurant was wonderful. Loved the homemade ice cream. It is located right on the bay and has wonderful sunsets and is only a few minutes from the local beach. If we ever come up this way again we will definitely stay here. Highly recommended.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank caquaro
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2013

My husband and I stayed here with our dog, and all three of us had a great time! The location is ideal (on the bay and a 2-minute drive from all of the local beaches), the owners and staff are really nice and very helpful, and they were very laid back about dogs (let ours run around and play in the water). You can sit by the water with a drink and see the stars at night, and there's a paddle-boat tour stationed right at the Inn (highly recommended).

On the downside: the Inn is overpriced in-season, but it seems that this is the case with all Hampton accommodations. The villas have not been renovated in a while, the A/C was behind the blinds (weird), mattress was a bit hard, and toiletries were bleh. If you want a "luxury experience," this place might not be for you, but it's perfect if you're looking for a laid-back, relaxing and fun get-away in a beautiful location!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Leanne A
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2012

Sheets with stains, towels that were dishtowel material, tv's on ceilings , cardboard soap, no hot water and worst of all $350.00 dollars a night! Plus tax!

Pretty disappointing...need I say more.

$350.00 a night..I want a refund!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Lucky1030
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2012

My wife and I had quite an enjoyable meal, with decent service, and stayed in one of the 'villas' which are prefabricated structures piled on top of one another, that are of basic quality. The morning after our meal, I overheard Colette, the manager, shouting at one of the spanish cleaning girls in a horribly insulting way, which resulted in the young girl crying. I was shocked and apalled.

For a person to bring another person to tears, takes a lot of cold-heartedness. Pam and Colette may seem like welcoming, friendly hosts but I could never ever trust these people. The face they show their customers is fake and is only ever on display to make money.

Go for the great food, but keep in mind what happens behind closed doors.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank goproadvisor
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2012

The location couldn't be more idyllic and the Inn Keepers are lovely and very accomodating. Luckily we stayed just before Memorial Day when rates are lower. At high season rates I would have to say the cabins are just fine, clean, well kept but certainly not luxurious. Even at the lower rate I would have to say the towels are chintzy.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Baron's Cove
Baron's Cove
#1 of 5 in Sag Harbor
Hyatt Place Long Island East End

Been to The Inn Spot on the Bay? Share your experiences!