“A real American jewel”

Ranked #2 of 16 Restaurants in Hancock
Price range: US$0 - US$10
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 20 May 2014

We saw this guy on National Geographic's show "Filthy Rich" and had to take a ride up. It was well worth it too. He's a cool guy, and is what America use to be about. I can only imagine what it's like to be a small business owner in NY with all those corrupt politicians, I'm sure he's taxed to death, but still manages to get us good food. We got some smoked cheese, smoked fish, and NY maple syrup made right up the hill from him. Everything was great and it was a lot of fun speaking to a real patriot. We're coming back soon. Just our two cents.

5  Thank Getmegoodfood

Reviewed 31 August 2013

Who knew that smoked mozzarella could be creamy, a little tart, and not that ball of rubber you buy everywhere else? Print out a map with directions, use a GPS, and follow the signs from Hancock, NY to find the smoke house. Don't get discouraged as you change road surfaces a couple of times and are deep in the woods, you'll get there and it is worth it. The cold smoked salmon and smoked cheeses are sensational. (I missed the eel by about a week, so I'm going back soon.) Take the time to learn a little from Ray while you are there. Smoked trout and eel next time, and maybe the gouda. The mozzarella will be hard to pass up though. I smoke brisket, various pork cuts, and tomatoes, but I will never ever try fish or cheese while Ray is in business.

5  Thank Foodrevue
Reviewed 27 August 2012

It's not a restaurant, it's a place to buy goods. We left with smoked salmon, trout, and honey. We had the smoked trout appetizer @ the Inn at Starlight Lake - so large and delicious - & were told that it came from nearby. The next day my husband went into Hancock NY and asked at a fishing store about where it might have come from. He was given directions and told of the "character" Ray that we'd meet. Have a cooler with you as you need to keep the meats cold. There's a dollar store in Hancock where you could buy one if you don't have anything with you.

8  Thank netherholt
Reviewed 7 July 2012

The eel is great. If you don't like that try the other stuff. Also, very cool location and story behind the food. The owner Ray is a really nice guy when you get TI know him.

4  Thank funebroker
Reviewed 27 March 2012

The smoked goods here are the best I have ever eaten. I even used to smoke my own fish but his really is top notch. The salmon is so tasty! I also really enjoyed the trout and smoked Gouda. It was well worth the trip down the long dirt road. I can not wait to go back and get some more!!!

5  Thank michelle w